Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
[Old thread] Calibre really slow

Hello,

I have tried calibre and it seems really slow just in general. All the clicks on the button is not responsive, some menus just hang for a while, importing takes 100% of CPU and overall usage in my opinion is little sluggish.

Does the Calibre really take so much CPU and memory while in use? I have tried making it prioritised and lowered the prio as well but nothing seems to work

Last edited by Manichean; 03-24-2011 at 04:01 AM.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No it should not be that slow. Something on your system is causing the slowdown. If its windows, my first guess would be anti virus software.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
You may want to give some more information about your system such as system and operating system specifications. Processor? Memory? Operation System? Is this a netbook? Laptop? Desktop?

Any anti-virus or anti-malware?
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Laptop HP 7615s 2Gb memory Windows Vista

AVG Free only as anti-virus software
Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

As a test, try disabling your AV. You may need to reboot after disabling it to actually get it to take.

Try Calibre again and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, try looking at all the background processes and programs running. Most recent OS's tend to have lots of stuff going on in the background that take up resources. The more programs you have running, the slower things get. Try to turn off as much as possible and see how things work then.
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
spaze
Addict

Ok, will try. thanks!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
rgoulde
rgoulde began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I think Calibre is slow on my brand new PC also (while loading and maximizing). While you may be correct that AV slows it down, that doesn't help much. Who in their right mind is going to not run AV? Besides, the AV doesn't seem to be slowing other apps down. Scanning for virus's is a fact of life and if Calibre doesn't take that into account in it's design then there's a problem.
rgoulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
AV can be configured for exclusions; I do not believe he was suggesting to stop running it altogether.

Look, there are many factors involved in why Calibre might be "running slow". Anything from antivirus having an over-zealous access scan (I've seen people running TWO AV packages even), or just user perception, or very large libraries, or crappy 5400 RPM drives, or other performance bottlenecks of all sorts and sizes, in short, it needs some testing. Disabling the AV helps eliminate a possible factor.

But hey, if you don't like it, ask for your money back!

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
For the record, I don't find Calibre slow on my newish Gateway or my six-month old eee 1000h. I'm running Win 7 on both of them, which probably helps.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
ericch
ericch began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus
Not slow on an 'old' laptop 2005

Calibre works well even with my old laptop (Pentium M and Windowx XP SP3) and version 0.6.7 is much quicker in reading epub metadata (15 times faster as 0.6.5 for me) on my Bookeen Opus.
Eric
ericch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoulde View Post
I think Calibre is slow on my brand new PC also (while loading and maximizing). While you may be correct that AV slows it down, that doesn't help much. Who in their right mind is going to not run AV? Besides, the AV doesn't seem to be slowing other apps down. Scanning for virus's is a fact of life and if Calibre doesn't take that into account in it's design then there's a problem.
I wasn't suggesting running without AV all the time. What I was suggesting is to turn off as many background processes as possible to try to find the slowdown. Windows has all kinds of background processes that can slow a system or program, especially on a computer purchased from a well known retailer. They tend to add all kinds of subscription programs that could slow you down. When they come new with the PC, they are often excluded from the AV and AM scans by the manufacturer, but a 3rd party application isn't.

I don't use Vista or W7, but things I've found that slow a system down are anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spamware, indexing services, various other apps like itunes or realmedia that want to scan and index all your media.

That's why I recommend turning off as much as possible to see it there's a particular program or utility that may be causing the slowdown. Once you locate the problem, you can address it.

Another possible issue is the gui portion of the program. I'm not a programmer, but have heard of issues with certain gui toolsets being slow in particular situations. You could check that by turning off eye candy and other whiz-bang features and see if that helps.

You could also try updating the video drivers as I've read about weird bugs with drivers and certain programs.

Really, it comes down to trial and error and trying to isolate the problem as much as possible. As there are plenty of other users running various versions of Calibre on Windows Vista with no issues, it points to the particular system and configuration being the issue and the user will have to try and track the problem down.

Other people, such as myself, can make suggestions, but given that the users setup is not going to be identical to anyone else's, all we can do is provide suggestions and try to narrow down the problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Hello,

I have tried calibre and it seems really slow just in general. All the clicks on the button is not responsive, some menus just hang for a while, importing takes 100% of CPU and overall usage in my opinion is little sluggish.

Does the Calibre really take so much CPU and memory while in use? I have tried making it prioritised and lowered the prio as well but nothing seems to work
Hi spaze,

Where you able to resolve your issues? If so, please post how you fixed it. That way others having issues can search the archives for the answer.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Also, make sure to scan for malware and defrag your HD. It is entirely possible that your system itself is cluttered despite the AB you have installed. Do some quick maintenance and see if it helps. Whenever my programs start running sluggishly, I do that and everything sorts itself out.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
justsomeguy12345
justsomeguy12345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OK, I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say that AVG was the problem slowing down Calibre for me. Exempt Calibre from real-time scanning and tasks that were taking several minutes are < 30 seconds
justsomeguy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
spaze
Addict

Woah, ghost from the past

I never tried it since I got F-Secure and never had problems with Calibre since