Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #76
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And this has to do with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy how?
Nothing. I just commented that BBC made a mini series over Middlemarch. They also produced the Hitchhiker radio series, but that's another topic
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwolf36 View Post
Interesting...like I said, I will give the printed version a try...could be the reader of the audio book that turned me off....who knows.
One thing to do is listen to the radio drama and then you will have the voices to go in your head as you read the printed edition. The TV mini-series was pretty good and the movie was awful. The best non-book version is the radio drama.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #78
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I keep saying "come on, make something happen already!"
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #79
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomposity View Post
Two 'most boring' contenders, I think:

1) Moby Dick

2) Handbook of Mammalian Body Masses

- can't decide between the two
I love Moby Dick. I read it when I was in middle school. I think reading a well-read, second-hand book added to the experience.

Well, to each their own...
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #80
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido View Post
I love Moby Dick. I read it when I was in middle school. I think reading a well-read, second-hand book added to the experience.
Didn't you find some of the natural history segments interminable?

I think sea-life is fascinating - but I could hardly keep my eyes open.

Would have been much better, imho, without those digressions.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #81
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido View Post
Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I keep saying "come on, make something happen already!"
True, one of the worst book I read.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #82
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I loved Moby Dick.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #83
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Am I a heathen if I say I was too bored to ever finish the second book of the DUNE series? Which also means I never got to the third book.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #84
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Didn't you find some of the natural history segments interminable?

I think sea-life is fascinating - but I could hardly keep my eyes open.

Would have been much better, imho, without those digressions.
It was those digressions that I enjoyed the most.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #85
lorisgirl
Super newbie
lorisgirl began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
*Ducks under flame-proof shelter*

Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Alchemist by Paul Coelho

Just couldn't bring myself to finish either, despite the hype/awards these novels received...
Saramago is a hard one to get to like. It's mandatory in high school and I hated it back then. After a few years in college I started liking him a lot. Try The Duplicated Man (O Homem Duplicado), if it's available in english. This one drew me into his world and changed the view I had about his novels!
lorisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #86
lorisgirl
Super newbie
lorisgirl began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd Edition
"The Pidgeon Project", by Irving Wallace. I got it from an used book store for nothing and it took me six months to finish. Slow like hell, I was bored by the end of the first page.
lorisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #87
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I loved Moby Dick and have read it twice!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #88
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Loved Moby Dick. Loved the rambling natural history bits. Particularly the one where he concluded that a whale was a fish. My Grandfather was a whaler and as a child I tried to explain to him that a whale was a mammal not a fish. He said it tasted a lot like a fish! Read Moby Dick many times and always think of my Grandfather.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #89
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
A Confederacy of Dunces. Loved the title, it won a pulitzer so I figured it wouldn't be but so bad.. but I doubt I made 40 pages into it.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #90
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Am I a heathen if I say I was too bored to ever finish the second book of the DUNE series? Which also means I never got to the third book.
The second book was considered by critics, at the time of the book's publication, to be an extremely weak sequel to Dune.

I thought the book was very bad.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote