Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PDA soft and e-book vending machine - soon to replace the kiosk next door?

Akihabara News has some nifty screenshots of what appears to be a vending machine for Japanese PDA software and e-books. According to the report, you indicate via touchscreen which product you want, then choose the right memory card format (SD, CF, or MS), and hit "Buy" to receive the software on your memory card (not sure whether you have to supply the card or whether it is included with the purchase).

Because really, what could be more wonderful than to buy your magazines and books from an electronic vending machine in future?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I like this! It's a big step in making ebook reading more mainstream, when you can get your fix from a vending machine. It's visible, and accessable. Now, we just have to see how well it succeeds in Japan, and how long/whether it makes it anywhere else.

Content management on the machine would be interesting as well. I wonder how they update it?

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Maybe it's updated via internet? Of course they'd probably want a system like that running OpenBSD, for fear of crackers. (Why OpenBSD? OpenBSD brags about only a SINGLE remote exploit in a default install in 8 YEARS.)

Personally I hope they have support for multiple formats. Yes, I'll take my e-books in a nice Plucker format, thank you...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
That sounds definitely cool.

What about daily newspapers? Plug in your memory stick and out comes the latest edition of the NYT "Print" edition. Wonderful!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
cnxso07
cnxso07 began at the beginning.

Device: dopodo575 DELL X50v
I'm come from to CN
cnxso07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
How very Japanese; they do love vending machines. I do hope this is successful but don't know how well it will play in less densely populated countries. This would be an excellent addition to the Palm kiosks/stores in airports.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sometimes I cannot help myself for feeling that I live on the wrong side of this planet. Have never been to Japan, nor learned much about its culture; but what I know about their affectation for gadgets makes me immediately want to move there.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote