Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
larlissm
larlissm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Extra USB cable

Hi guys,
I have a PRS505...obviously ...and recently the USB cable that connects the device to my computer was lost, so I was wondering how I get another one? Is it just a basic USB cable that you can get from an electronics store? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
larlissm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
It's a standard cable. Take your reader to a store and ask for one to connect it to a PC.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It looks like a USB A to mini B cable
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
larlissm
larlissm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Great, thanks guys.
larlissm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
It is. you can pick up one in almost any electronic store.

Just asking for a Mini Usb cable will usually get you the right cable, but as ShortNCuddlyAm mentioned the correct technical term would be USB A to USB mini B (but telling a clerk that is more likely to confuse them )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Before buying one, check that you don't have any other devices which use them. My mobile phone and camera both use the same cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Applied_Micro
Applied_Micro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi.

You might want to get a Y-shaped USB cable for the Playstation Portable (PSP). They have one "standard" USB connector on one end but two connectors on the other end: Not only a mini-USB to connect to your PC but also a dedicated connector for charging, to plug into the Reader's "DC IN" port. You should be able to get these on eBay for no more than 5 bucks or so shipped. This is an example of what they look like (not wanting to endorse this particular seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-in-1-POWER-DAT...d=p3286.c0.m14

While you can use these cables as plain USB cables (I also use this for transferring pictures from my digital camera), they do have a nice added benefit: You will be able to charge your Reader's battery from a wall outlet. Without a connection to your PC, by using the DC IN and a common USB power adapter, like, for instance, the ones included with your iPhone/iPod or mobile phone. They are also widely and cheaply available. Basically, you can get a nice means of charging on-the-go which is more flexible than Sony's AC charger, at a fraction of the price (Sony's ACS-5220E sells at 29.99)

For some weird USB implementation reason the Reader won't charge properly over USB, unless connected to a PC (or technically speaking to a USB host, I'd guess).
Applied_Micro is offline   Reply With Quote