Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #46
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
My sister is professional manga artist and I know how much effort you must have put to create such manga. She has worked with paper/pen/ink/screentone so far but recently switched to to computer using painter and photoshop. She seems to suffer transition period and it is surprising for me to see someone creates manga with computers for a hobby since I always thought it is quite painful work to do

Anyway, keep up the good work!
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
see neko, we're all still reading... so, what happens next ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #48
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
My sister is professional manga artist and I know how much effort you must have put to create such manga. She has worked with paper/pen/ink/screentone so far but recently switched to to computer using painter and photoshop. She seems to suffer transition period and it is surprising for me to see someone creates manga with computers for a hobby since I always thought it is quite painful work to do

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Thanks so much! But to be fair, I'm using 3D software to generate the images. I customize the figures, position them, and use the software to generate the 2D outline. I'm quite poor at drawing people otherwise.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #49
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
But to be fair, I'm using 3D software to generate the images. I customize the figures, position them, and use the software to generate the 2D outline. I'm quite poor at drawing people otherwise
Ok... so what? Different methods for the same effect. It is the story that counts.

And you have sexy Ninjas!

George Lucas used old technology, and new. The difference is the story.

And the sexy, sexy Ninjas.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #50
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I think it is very interesting to use 3D software to make images since my sister works as follows AFAIK.
1) draw manga on paper using pen & ink
2) scan the images into computer
3) add screentone effects using photoshop
Maybe I will mention the possibility of using 3D software to my sister.

As Donnageddon said, as long as you tell us your story, I guess you are free to use whatever tools that suit you. Also everyone will get better by practice and such improvement is also very important aspect in life, I think. If someone can achieve everything at once, it will be really boring world, isn't it?
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 AM   #51
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that telling the story is what's important, at least for me. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not using the same methods as your sister. Usually this frees me up to spend more time telling the story and less time fussing with making sure the characters look the same in each panel, but with the outdoor shots I've been doing lately, I'm losing all that time loading huge 3d files, waiting for them to render, fixing little mistakes, repeat, etc. It will be a relief to get back indoors with smaller files and quicker cycles.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #52
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 12 is up.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Sorry for the long delay, folks, events have conspired against me. The semester started, I had to go research the Japanese police system, and the scene file has gotten so large that it crashes the Mac (not just the application) when I load and make changes. I'm working on splitting up the scene file now, but it's slow going, because I need to save between changes, which takes 20-30 minutes. I have 1gb ram, but clearly that's not enough! But I don't own this machine, so I'm not likely to get any more RAM for it.

Hopefully I'll have the next page up soon-- and if I can just get out of the garden, things will go more quickly, because the next few scenes take place in much simpler settings or don't require backgrounds at all.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #54
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Just saw this thread while surfing new edits.. Great work - very 'in keeping' with the manga look and feel, and definitely looking forward to next page..
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Ok folks, page 13 is up. The quality isn't quite what I would like, because now my 3d app crashes if I try to use the plugin that creates the nice outlines on people, etc. :sigh: It's a known bug, and supposedly fixed in the current build, but I don't have access to that... yet.

Page 14 is in draft. Could be up this weekend.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #56
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 14 is up. Still the "lesser quality" outlines, but I figure I've got to just keep the story moving. Maybe I'll be able to redo these pages later.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #57
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

more story please !! i'm on the edge of my seat. what happens next ?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #58
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Scott McCloud's comments about using crosshatching on webcomics are included in his "10 Suggestions for First-Time WebComics Artists."

I wanted to get opinions on a couple of his suggestions.

2 - He suggests taking advantage of web features, including sound, motion, interactivity, expanded canvas, and hypertext. But I'm really more interested in offering a traditional manga format, for the most part, and again, I see these as being made available in PDF or some other ebook reader friendly format at some point, which might not support these extra features very easily. The only one that I'm tempted by is hypertext. I'm planning to use quite a few Japanese phrases in my story, particularly in forms of address and politeness phrases, which often simply don't translate well. I could use an asterisk and put the definition below the panel, in the old-fashioned printed way, or I could underline the phrase and make a hyperlink. What do you folks think?

And thank you all again for your suggestions and encouragement!
Just read the first 14 pages - looking good so far

As far as that suggestion goes, I'd suggest sticking with the old */footnote method of explaining things.

(And as far as exploiting those things in web comics in general go, for the most part I strongly prefer static web comics)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #59
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
more story please !! i'm on the edge of my seat. what happens next ?
Not telling! Mwahahaha!

I have some papers due early this week, but I should be able to do another page or two later this week.

For what it's worth, I do know where I'm going with this story. In fact, the dialogue is largely written for the next several chapters, and scattered chapters after that, with detailed outlines for the rest. I just need to get time to set up the scenes and make the pages. (And it would be nice if I could get a working version of Daz Studio that could use pwToon, the plugin I usually use to render the outlines in my scenes. I really don't like the way these images have come out, especially the last page.)
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #60
zelda_pinwheel

surely you're not trying to say you put your schoolwork before this manga, are you ????? where are your priorities, woman ??