Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Sorry, Hitch! I misunderstood what you posted here:

Which I thought you were saying that if I upload an epub to the KDP that is identical to the one I upload to Barnes & Noble, then they could carry the same ISBN.
Well...arguably, it could. Now, according to Bowker, that dog don't hunt. But, once you think about the purpose (the real purpose) of an ISBN, and how eBooks are ordered, fulfilled, and the publisher paid...one could make an argument that you ought to be able to use the same ISBN for all eBooks.

HOWEVER, that being said, it's true that if, for example, you had your ePUB with an ISBN of 123456789 at a distributors, and endeavored to upload a MOBI with the same ISBN...the distributor wouldn't allow it.

In that scenario, you'd end up with two books with diff. ISBNs.

nb.: if you ARE using a distributor, mind you, and you upload ONE ePUB with one ISBN, for all retailers, then, yes: Amazon would receive, via FTP and convert and put on sale a MOBI that would, in that instance, have the identical ISBN as its sister book (ePUB format)that's for sale on iBooks or B&N, because it's the "one ring" ePUB. (Bowker would probably at this point make the argument that the copyright page of the "One Ring" ePUB should list BOTH ISBNs, one for ePUB, one for MOBI, but that argument presupposes that the distributor would allow you to upload Metadata that indicated both books. Hmmm. No. Don't see that happening, from my dealings with distributors.

Sorry for unclear typing; it's late. Gotta hit it, it's just coming 4 a.m. here. I'll look this over tomorrow and fix whatever stupid mistakes I've made.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote