Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
simtim86
simtim86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
How to downgrade Kindle Paperwhite 2013 from 5.4.5.1 to 5.4.4.2

My Kindle PW2 4GB from Japan with first 4 character of the SN are 905A and firmware version 5.4.5.1. I want to downgrade to version 5.4.4.2 to jailbread. I've followed step showing on here but it was not dowgrade.
Please show me clearly.
Thanks
simtim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Firmware is not compatible:
- 5.4.5.1 for PW2
- 5.4.4.2 for PW
You needed 5.4.3.2 fw, and go here...

Last edited by kaznelson; 08-15-2014 at 04:04 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
simtim86

Thanks kaznelson!
What the hell I was missing! I've finish jailbreak. Again many tks.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
dip166
dip166 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW2
Do you mind me asking, I've the same Kindle version as you and I was wondering if you lose all the Japanese settings when you jailbreak? That is, does it only work for English versions? Or can you later update again to the newest Japanese version?
dip166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
simtim86

Quote:
if you lose all the Japanese settings when you jailbreak?
No. It still as usual. I need to jailbreak to adding Cool Reader

Quote:
That is, does it only work for English versions?
Downgrade or jailbreak? Both of them are done on my Kindle PW2 4GB (Japan)

Quote:
Or can you later update again to the newest Japanese version?
After downgrading to firmware 5.4.3.2 and jailbreaking then you can upgrade newest firmware 5.4.5.1 if you want
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
sorin61
sorin61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Done it!

I own a Paperwhite 2 2 GB
I was stupid enough to gulp whatever Amazon was throwing at me (that is 5.4.5.1} and without jailbreaking it beforehand, no less. After struggling for 1 1/2 days, I managed to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 and I thought there might be people interested in how to do it.
The mistake I was making in trying to downgrade was to disconnect the Kindle from the computer (simply pulling the plug) and then pressing the power button. And always got the error message.
Finally, today I didn't unplug the Kindle at all, I just kept the power button pressed for something like 30 seconds and it started the "update" procedure which successfully completed. Now I will just do what I had to do from the beginning, jailbreak it.
So, if you have the latest firmware, just copy it in the root and pressthe power button of the Kindle long enough. Don't bother to close the Kindle directory on the computer - it will close by itself.
Good luck and thanks to the people who came with the idea!
sorin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip166 View Post
Do you mind me asking, I've the same Kindle version as you and I was wondering if you lose all the Japanese settings when you jailbreak? That is, does it only work for English versions? Or can you later update again to the newest Japanese version?
The language is a user setting. The firmware is the same, and anyway the jailbreak merely adds a file containing a custom install verification certificate.

The downgrade/upgrade itself does not wipe user settings (Amazon would be shooting themselves in the face if they wiped your Kindle every time an over-the-air update was applied).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
dip166
dip166 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtim86 View Post
Downgrade or jailbreak? Both of them are done on my Kindle PW2 4GB (Japan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The language is a user setting. The firmware is the same, and anyway the jailbreak merely adds a file containing a custom install verification certificate.

The downgrade/upgrade itself does not wipe user settings (Amazon would be shooting themselves in the face if they wiped your Kindle every time an over-the-air update was applied).
Thank you both. I was asking this question because once I rooted my sony t1 (Japanese version) and it ended with English language only and all the original dictionaries were also lost...
But I guess the jailbreak works differently in that it doesn't reinstall the whole thing and wipe out your settings.
dip166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #9
dav
dav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Downgrade

I have tried all the tricks for downgrading but none work.
I have version 5.4.5.1 (2440520001)
Tried reboot with the kindle stil attached to the computer but i get fault 13, and with the update script installed i get fault 4

Pleas help me with the right way to downgrade. I have the US 2gb version
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Which firmware did you copy to Kindle ?
How long did you wait before rebooting ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
dav

I have tried the 5.4.4
I waited a couple of minutes without disconnecting
Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
I have tried the 5.4.4
I waited a couple of minutes without disconnecting
If I'm remembering correctly, 5.4.4 is for PW1...I think you need 5.4.3 (or 5.4.3.2) for the PW2.

** yeah...see 2nd post on this page.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
dav

Ill try the 5.4.3.2 from:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.3.2.bin

Will post results
Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
dav

Thank you - that works
Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
dav

Please see posts:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x25Z0FCKQ839YW

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...Tx7BD5P0ZSLHZB

to see my problems.

Thank you so much GoSharks for helping me solve this terrible problem with mobi files and cross references/footnotes.

Tags
downgrade, firmware downgrade, kindle paperwhite