Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Sony PRS-505 Portable AA Battery Charger

Has anyone used the Sony Reader PRS-505 Portable AA Battery Charger. I will be going to Haiti in 2 months for a week and want to buy one to take with me. It's from http://www.gomadic.com/sony-reader-p...-extender.html

Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've seen similar things from other companies. I am thinking of purchasing that because of the cord. The iGo version doesn't have a cord. Also they have a tip for my cell phone and Rio Karma. So I'd be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen similar things from other companies. I am thinking of purchasing that because of the cord. The iGo version doesn't have a cord. Also they have a tip for my cell phone and Rio Karma. So I'd be all set.
Well I just ordered it, so I'll come back to this thread and write a review once I receive it.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
It looks like an interesting concept and could be left in a car to charge while shopping. The problem with a car charger for me is that most of my trips are to short to do a complete charge.

I'll look forward to your review!
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Would be great for camping
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Would this charger work with the 500? What port is it plugged in, the power port or USB?

Black&Decker makes a new line of battery operated power tools called VPX. The main power packs are Lithium Ion. In this tool line there is a converter with a 110 out and a USB plug. You could have multiple packs and thus keep your reader going for a loooong time. I must have it. (Power tool junkie)
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Would this charger work with the 500? What port is it plugged in, the power port or USB?

Black&Decker makes a new line of battery operated power tools called VPX. The main power packs are Lithium Ion. In this tool line there is a converter with a 110 out and a USB plug. You could have multiple packs and thus keep your reader going for a loooong time. I must have it. (Power tool junkie)
It definitely look like it's plugged into the power port; so yes, it should also work with the 500.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It definitely look like it's plugged into the power port; so yes, it should also work with the 500.
How many batteries does it require?What's really great about AAs is that you can get batteries for the charger anywhere around the world.

I just went to the B&D site for the VPX and the little power supply I wrote about will power my phone, iPod, reader and EEE. I'm sold.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Has anyone used the Sony Reader PRS-505 Portable AA Battery Charger. I will be going to Haiti in 2 months for a week and want to buy one to take with me.
Only one week and you need a charger? Are you sure?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Only one week and you need a charger? Are you sure?
I'm going to the country, and after I land, I have a 8 hour bus trip (each way). I'm thinking a total of 6 hours on the plane, 16 hours on a bus, and 5 days in between. I just want to make sure.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
Lilly
Guru

Review!!

I just got home from work and the charger was in my mailbox. First of all, the size in the picture is deceiving (it's small), it's about the length of 2 and 1/2 AA batteries and the width of 3/4 of 1AA battery. All you do is put 4AA batteries in it, turn on the power, and plug the cord into the power port of your reader. The charging light comes on and you can read while it's charging. So, far this thing is great; it's exactly as advertised on the website. I will only use it when power outlets or computer is not available because the cost of batteries will add up since it takes 4. So far, I give it 5 stars out of 5!

Also, I just realized that the charger that I received is not the one in the picture, but I'm still happy with it!

Last edited by Lilly; 05-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, how many batteries do you need to fully charge your reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're only going for a week I'm sure you won't need a charger. Even with heavy use, I never needed to recharge my Reader more often than once a fortnight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I'm actually thinking about buying either this

solarchargedwithinternalbattery-multicharger

or this

aabatterypowered-multicharger

either are cheaper and more compact that the "sony reader charger"
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
I just got home from work and the charger was in my mailbox. First of all, the size in the picture is deceiving (it's small), it's about the length of 2 and 1/2 AA batteries and the width of 3/4 of 1AA battery. All you do is put 4AA batteries in it, turn on the power, and plug the cord into the power port of your reader.
I'm very confused. If it's a case that holds 4 AA batteries, how can it be less than 4 batteries wide and less than 1 battery thick? Does.Not.Compute.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote