Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
mycityofsky
mycityofsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Question Is there any method to downgrade kindle paperwhite from 5.4.4 to 5.3.5?

Today I upgraded my kindle paperwhite(1st generation) to 5.4.4, but I found many settings not comfortable with me. For example:

1. Dictionary. I have several dictionaries in my kindle. When I look a word up on 5.3.5, it would search all the dictionaries and display the meaning of it if any of those dictionaries contains the definition of the word. But on 5.4.4, it would only search the main dictionary, and I have to switch to other dictionary to see if it contains the word.

2. Highlight. When I click one word on 5.3.5, the left button is "Highlight", which I use frequently. But now on 5.4.4, it is a "search" button, and I have to click one more button to reach the "Highlight" button, which is very inconvenient to me.

With the expression of those troubles, I just hope someone could tell me if I can do something to change it. If I these are just the characteristics of 5.4.4, could anyone tell me how to downgrade 5.4.4 to 5.3.5? I have downloaded the update_kindle_5.3.5.bin file from the Internet and put in the root directory, then unplugged the USB cable. But I found that the "update" button in settings was grey. Plugging USB again, I found that Kindle had automaically deleted the file. I have tried different bin files from 5.3.1 to 5.3.6, none works. Does Amazon forbid Kindle from downgrading on this version? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by mycityofsky; 03-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
mycityofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Don't know if the Kindle stops you from downgrading it, but can you confirm you got the update.bin from a reputable source? Like this one: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php

There are a few PW1 updates you didn't mention...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
That's a bummer about the dictionaries. I rather liked the 'cascade'. Somebody blew it there. I'll be sending kindle-feedback. They should fix this.

You highlight single words? That's a bit unusual I would say, at least in my experience. The default behavior (show definition, with highlight under More) seems good to me. If you highlight more than one word, you get highlight option right off. Finally too you can extend/change the selection with handles as well.

Neither of these things would make me want to revert to 5.3.5, or even close to it. There are so many improvements that I cannot be without now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
HeBuguM
HeBuguM doesn't litterHeBuguM doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hm that's strange, the dictionary feature came up with PW1 and I was very disappointed when I find out it's missing on my new PW2, but with that last update they brought it back. It's weird to remove it from PW1 with this update that bring you all new PW2 features. The difference on PW2 is that the switch "button" is on the bottom of definition not on Dictionary tab like PW1 (screenshot), is there any chance you've missed that?
HeBuguM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Don't know if the Kindle stops you from downgrading it, but can you confirm you got the update.bin from a reputable source? Like this one: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php

Even more reputable source: Play with Amazon's URL

Firmware 5.3.5

You could also try 5.3.9; I assume that only contains bug fixes and works the same:

Firmware 5.3.9
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I didn't got it yet, but I suppose the non-cascade dictionary search is a battery plus. I search too much, and felt that the feature of searching every dictionary of the language was draining it all up fast.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
mycityofsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Oh, doesn't work still.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
mycityofsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBuguM View Post
Hm that's strange, the dictionary feature came up with PW1 and I was very disappointed when I find out it's missing on my new PW2, but with that last update they brought it back. It's weird to remove it from PW1 with this update that bring you all new PW2 features. The difference on PW2 is that the switch "button" is on the bottom of definition not on Dictionary tab like PW1 (screenshot), is there any chance you've missed that?
Yes, I have noticed that. But kindle would only search in the main dictionary. Though I can switch it by that button, it isn't as convenient as the 'cascade' searching, in which case it can automatically search all the relevant dictionaries.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
mycityofsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Firmware 5.3.5

You could also try 5.3.9; I assume that only contains bug fixes and works the same:

Firmware 5.3.9
Thank you for your even more reputable source, but it doesn't help. The button is still gray.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
mycityofsky

I made it! First install DuoKan, and then copy the bin file in DuoKan, and then restart, it will update the bin automatically. Hope it will help for those who want to downgrade.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I didn't got it yet, but I suppose the non-cascade dictionary search is a battery plus. I search too much, and felt that the feature of searching every dictionary of the language was draining it all up fast.
Perhaps, but I think it is more likely that they failed to merge code properly to retain the existing feature (cascade) while adding the new one (ability to choose a different dictionary on the dialog). It did not search all of the dictionaries, it stops with the first definition it finds (starting with default dictionary).

Or maybe cascade is good in theory but not in practice. For example, if you wanted to use a dictionary with specialized legal terms, it is not clear which is better: if you are reading medical literature, clearly you'd want it to be the default so the more precise definition comes up. But if you are reading in general, you'd just want it as a supplemental dictionary in case you encounter a medical term in what you are reading. But even then, it might pick up a more generic definition first and then you'd want to visit the other definition to get a more precise one. Which is what we can do now.

In the one case where I've played with cascade, I have 2 Russian-English dictionaries, one is crap, one is not so bad. If the crap dictionary is default it usually winds up finding the word in the good one. And if the good one is default, it almost never uses the crap one. So at least in that case cascade is not necessary.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Very good. Now search for one of the posts in this forum on how to prevent the kindle from updating, even if wifi is on
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
ameho
ameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle PW2
Download this file http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qW8nWwk

Extract to your kindle root path.
Paste the update file to the folder: update.
Update your kindle in the setting menu
ameho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ameho: That would indeed do the trick in a much nicer way than what we used to do ^^.

If the device is jailbroken, you could also do it from a proper 'real' update.

Nitpick²: And no need to remount the rootfs rw, either .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-09-2014 at 03:29 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Firmware 5.3.5

Firmware 5.3.9
Wait, they still have those available??? I though they delete all the old firmware...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade