Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Factory reset I would think. The only problem might be the SU application. The other way would be to install the ICS downgrade to get rid of the root and update to JB
I found the (easy) solution, using SuperSU application. No factory reset needed...

Thanks anyway !
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Forgot all about that one. Cheers for reminding me.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
kongpagnan
kongpagnan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
need kobo arc firmware

My kobo arc stuck at animation could you help to restore firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuowei View Post
For the impatient:
http://zhuoweizhang.net/Arctic.apk

Basically, this uses the vulnerability discovered by the Android Security Squad (http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_be6dacae0101bksm.html) to replace a system package - in this case, the Dark Knight status bar service that doesn't appear to be used anywhere.

Other root methods, such as Cydia Impactor, can also take advantage of this bug (which isn't patched on the Arc, unlike the first master key bug), however, they require a connection over USB to operate. Arctic uses the tablet's built-in factory test code to install su.

All credits go to the Android Security Squad and Saurik for finding and describing the bug, and to Chainfire for his SuperSU application included in the install.

To use, install the APK (make sure to enable installation from unknown sources - you might also need to disable app verification, although I didn't need to), and launch Arctic.

Another installation screen for Kobo Status Bar Service should pop up.

Agree and install, and after the install completes, you should have root.

Reboot if SuperSU doesn't show up. (If it still doesn't show up, try installing it from Google Play)

Source code: https://github.com/zhuowei/arctic
kongpagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
hello189
hello189 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongpagnan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongpagnan View Post

I did the same thing.

Here is how you fix it.

1) Boot your device into Recovery mode by turning it off then holding power + volume up for 10 seconds.

2) Select the option android sideload

3) Download the Android SDK

4) Download update.zip from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210413

5) Move update.zip to the same folder as adb.exe (In one of the SDK folders)

6) Cd to the location of adb.exe in cmd

7) Connect your Kobo to your computer. Type "adb devices" In your cmd prompt. You should see your kobo something pop up. If nothing does try to restart in recovery again, and unplug then plug in the USB cable. I had to try this a few times.

8) Run "adb sideload update.zip" in cmd.

Then clear all the data, restart, and it should work, it did for me.
hello189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
al2013
al2013 began at the beginning.

avast describes arctic.apk as trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuowei View Post
For the impatient:

http://zhuoweizhang.net/Arctic.apk

Basically, this uses the vulnerability discovered by the Android Security Squad (http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_be6dacae0101bksm.html) to replace a system package - in this case, the Dark Knight status bar service that doesn't appear to be used anywhere.

Other root methods, such as Cydia Impactor, can also take advantage of this bug (which isn't patched on the Arc, unlike the first master key bug), however, they require a connection over USB to operate. Arctic uses the tablet's built-in factory test code to install su.

All credits go to the Android Security Squad and Saurik for finding and describing the bug, and to Chainfire for his SuperSU application included in the install.

To use, install the APK (make sure to enable installation from unknown sources - you might also need to disable app verification, although I didn't need to), and launch Arctic.

Another installation screen for Kobo Status Bar Service should pop up.

Agree and install, and after the install completes, you should have root.

Reboot if SuperSU doesn't show up. (If it still doesn't show up, try installing it from Google Play)

Source code: https://github.com/zhuowei/arctic

Hi,

I downloaded and tried to install the arctic.apk file from the link above. It downloaded quickly without problem. I then tried to install and avast (which I obviously have running on my device) alerted me that the file is a trojan. Please could you offer some advice. Is this likely to be the case ? Please explain in layman's terms as I am a total beginner when it comes to these things.

all I want is to plug an SD card reader into my kobo arc so I can backup my photos online while travelling abroad! I may have missed something but it seems nobody, anywhere on the web has coherently answered all the queries out threre on getting USB OTG functionality out of the kobo arc. Or confirmed whether it is definitely possible whatsoever.
Sorry for the rant! Please help if you can
al2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
I think I read in the forums a while back that the hardware Kobo used is incapable of supporting USB OTG.
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The arc does not have otg capability. No gps or bluetooth either.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208817
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
maxbossi
maxbossi began at the beginning.

The link for Arktic.apk id dead. Can you please re-activate the link or provide a new one?
Thanks!
maxbossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
merlinspunkster
merlinspunkster began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc 7
patch required?

I followed all of the steps and when I try to install Kobo Status Bar, it tells me that I need a patch "unable to install the payload, do you have the required patch? Error =103"
merlinspunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
Has anyone been able to successfully install a different (non-kobo) rom on their arc?
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Factory reset I would think. The only problem might be the SU application. The other way would be to install the ICS downgrade to get rid of the root and update to JB
Hello everyone,

Is the ICS downgrade still one way only or over the air upgrade from it is now possible.

Second, do we have a reliable link to the current final 4.1.1 build?

Thank you
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #27
stevov
Groupie

That is the only way to get the icv version. Reliable and Kobo are not compatible. For those who are trying to find an alternate to arctic apk do a search for cydia impactor. It will give you root.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
What I was asking was, if further upgrade to current version after downgrading to ICS is possible.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #29
gilibaus
gilibaus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Virus detected

Hi all,
I have downloaded Arctic.apk from the first link at the top of this thread. During installation I was alerted of a Trojan virus in the file and decided to abort. It does not seem to be a safe apk. Any advice? Thanks.
gilibaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #30
stevov
Groupie

Try my link to xda