Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #511
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Well, I've not managed to replicate the power drain since the update, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it may be fixed.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #512
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
Well, I've not managed to replicate the power drain since the update, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it may be fixed.
Thanks for the update.

That's disappointing. I'm quite impressed with the front lighting on my GF's Glo, and I'm anxious to pick up a lighted reader to replace my latest Sony, but given the heartaches we've had with the 4 Glo's we've been through, there is no way I will buy another one with this issue.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #513
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I guess I can understand that, but if the issue is simply not buying a cover with a flap or pocket, or making sure there is nothing blocking the IR until it gets to the sleep screen saver it's really not that big a deal. In fact, I just posted about a sleep cover with magnetic closure rather than a clasp that I just got for under ten bucks including shipping. Each to their own. Even with its faults the Glo is hard to beat in terms of features and third party support/hacks. There is already a hack in the developer's forum to beat the title display issue people are crabbing about in the 2.5.2 firmware. There is also a night mode(white text on black background), KOReader, KindlePDFReader, and a tweaks plug in that lets you launch other apps and remove items from the screen. From what I've seen, the early days with the Sonys were much worse...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #514
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with TechniSol. If you like the Glo and its light, just make sure to have a cover which doesn't cause issues and you should be good to go
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #515
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I agree with TechniSol. If you like the Glo and its light, just make sure to have a cover which doesn't cause issues and you should be good to go
I agree with Samhy and TechniSol. Despite my little gripe about Kobo's "russian roulette" updates the other day, I doubt I'll go to another company for my backlit reader. I choose my tech because it does what I want it to do (mainly), and Kobo seems to hit most of the points with configurability, a thriving user-base, and the excitement of not knowing what will happen next .

For me, a satisfactory work-around for a problem is as good as an official fix (though feenix's information is good news), and avoiding anything interfering with the beams is simple and easy. However, I do know just how easy it is fall out of love with something after it has let you down ... one or two cars have left my possession on that basis!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #516
cutcutcut
cutcutcut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
New user here, I have followed this thread on and off this year after having the same issue with my kobo glo, the case flap tripping the ir sensors. I still have the issue now and then. How long does it take before one can close the case? Has there been any fixes in the latest firmware as I'm running slighty older firmware?
cutcutcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #517
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutcutcut View Post
New user here, I have followed this thread on and off this year after having the same issue with my kobo glo, the case flap tripping the ir sensors. I still have the issue now and then. How long does it take before one can close the case? Has there been any fixes in the latest firmware as I'm running slighty older firmware?
Hi, cutcutcut, and welcome!

This is a fairly elderly thread now, but, working on the basis that there have been few comments, either the work-arounds are successful, or there has been a firmware upgrade.

If I recall correctly, it seemed that certain covers, especially those with a pocket or flap facing the screen when closed, would interrupt the beams and prevent Glo and Touch models hibernating. The work-arounds were:

a) Wait until the reader had automatically hibernated before closing the cover;

b) Use the switch to put the reader into hibernation before closing the cover;

c) Remove the flap from the inside of the cover.

Certainly I have had no trouble with short battery life since my last post (I get a good week from a charge with three or four hours' reading a day), but I have had a firmware upgrade and now tend to put my Touch into hibernation with the switch - it become a habit fairly quickly, and isn't any hassle.

Hope that helps a bit.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote