Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #46
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Hum, without any judgment on the interest of the scripts available on your blog, I don't know if posting a direct link to those scripts is compliant with the forum rules ??
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #47
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
Hum, without any judgment on the interest of the scripts available on your blog, I don't know if posting a direct link to those scripts is compliant with the forum rules ??
The scripts aren't on the blog.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #48
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quite true
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #49
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
OK:

So I want 'The Dark River' by john twelve hawks. on fictionwise it is $17.89 and on Amazon for Kindle it is $9.99! Big difference!!

I don't have a Kindle, but theoretically I could get the kindle version, and dismantle it with this tool, then format it for my Sony, with various tools.

How can I but the kindle version without a kindle though?
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
You can't. I look on the $400 purchase price as including a subsidy for bestselling e-books (i.e. you are overpaying for the Kindle if you never buy discounted e-books from Amazon).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Dark River is $14.36 at BooksOnBoard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
OK:

So I want 'The Dark River' by john twelve hawks. on fictionwise it is $17.89 and on Amazon for Kindle it is $9.99! Big difference!!

I don't have a Kindle, but theoretically I could get the kindle version, and dismantle it with this tool, then format it for my Sony, with various tools.

You probably can't use this tool to dismantle that ebook. If they offer a sample chapter then this ebook was likely licensed to amazon through the publisher channel, not the DIY channel. The ebook probably has DRM that would make it incompatible.

There are actually 3 file types sold by Amazon: AZW, AZW1, and Topaz (TPZ or TAN). AZW is Mobipocket format and usually has no DRM. AZW1 is the DRMed Mobipocket format with one extra identifier added to the file header. Topaz is slightly different from the others and it has more features.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #53
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You probably can't use this tool to dismantle that ebook. If they offer a sample chapter then this ebook was likely licensed to amazon through the publisher channel, not the DIY channel. The ebook probably has DRM that would make it incompatible.

There are actually 3 file types sold by Amazon: AZW, AZW1, and Topaz (TPZ or TAN). AZW is Mobipocket format and usually has no DRM. AZW1 is the DRMed Mobipocket format with one extra identifier added to the file header. Topaz is slightly different from the others and it has more features.
From my experiance, I think some AZW are DRMed, some are not (mostly the thirdparty production). And AZW1 and TPZ are the same thing. The topaz format is mostly used for tech manuscripts and the books with special formatting because it can use an embedded font and scanned text/equations.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #54
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Has anyone done this on a Mac?

Sorry, but my e-mail and blog posting to darkreverser aren't getting any responses. Has anyone successfully run mobidedrm using the Python that comes with Mac OS 10.4? It's Python 2.35, and I get syntax errors. I could upgrade to 2.4 or 2.5, but it's not like I run Python for anything else, so I wouldn't go to the effort if it just plain won't work even with an upgrade.

(If it's any help, the book I'm trying to "liberate" is the free "Around the world in 80 Days" from fictionwise.)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #55
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Sorry, but my e-mail and blog posting to darkreverser aren't getting any responses. Has anyone successfully run mobidedrm using the Python that comes with Mac OS 10.4? It's Python 2.35, and I get syntax errors. I could upgrade to 2.4 or 2.5, but it's not like I run Python for anything else, so I wouldn't go to the effort if it just plain won't work even with an upgrade.

(If it's any help, the book I'm trying to "liberate" is the free "Around the world in 80 Days" from fictionwise.)
The version of Python used probably would matters more rather than which platform (Windows, Mac, ...) that you use. I can confirm that the script works on Python 2.5 / XP, so try to upgrade your version. It's not too much of an effort anyway :P
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #56
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I *have* done it on a mac, 10.4.11 -- but I didn't realize python was already here. I downloaded and installed the new one pointed to. It works great with that! Quite easy.

I never got the mobiperl set of scripts to work, though ..... I eventually download the executable for a PC, and used it easily that way.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #57
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I *have* done it on a mac, 10.4.11 -- but I didn't realize python was already here. I downloaded and installed the new one pointed to. It works great with that! Quite easy.

I never got the mobiperl set of scripts to work, though ..... I eventually download the executable for a PC, and used it easily that way.
When you said "new one pointed to," did you mean ActivePython at activestate.com? I was considering the "official" distro at python.org...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have Python 2.5 for XP and I've not had any issues with Darkreverser's scripts due to the version of Python.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #59
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have Python 2.5 for XP and I've not had any issues with Darkreverser's scripts due to the version of Python.
Code:
D:\temp>python mobydedrm.py Aroundtheworldin80days.prc test.prc *******$**
MobiDeDrm v0.02. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser
Decrypting. Please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 176, in <module>
    file(outfile, 'wb').write(DrmStripper(data_file, pid).getResult())
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 159, in __init__
    extra_size = getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries(data, len(data), extra_data_flags)

File "mobydedrm.py", line 74, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntries
    num += getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry(ptr, size - num)
  File "mobydedrm.py", line 64, in getSizeOfTrailingDataEntry
    v = ord(ptr[size-1])
IndexError: string index out of range
I'm having errors running the script. I have activestate python on XP and I'm trying to liberate the free Around the world in 80 days from fictionwise. The PID I have is from my laptop installation of mobipocket reader. Could it be problematic that it contains a $, which could be badly expanded as a variable at some point?
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #60
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Feeling quite daft here...

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious. Granted, it is monday morning, but still...

I've gotten the python script to work (for some reason, it does not like my XP box but seems quite happy to work under linux) and converted Aroundtheworldin80days.prc from fictionwise. Having said that, I tried to use the python script to decompress to HTML that has been mentioned earlier in this thread and get the following error:

Code:
MobiHuff v0.02
  Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser <dark.reverser@googlemail.com>
Decompressing...
Error: invalid compression type
Furthermore, if I try ABC Palm Converter (heck, the file has a PRC extension, might as well try), I get gibberish as HTML output.

The end goal I'm trying to achieve here is to convert a DRM mobi file into plain HTML so that I can put it on my sony reader.

What's the missing step here folks?
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket