Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
opinions about the glow

I own the Kobo Glo for a few days now.. and two problems occured.

I can only compare mine with a friends' ereader (a sony PRS-T2). His ereader didin't have any issues displaying the Harlan Coben ebook, without splitting the words wrong.. even though the problems were somehow hidden in the sourscode. He never experienced displaying the wrong cover in sleep mode.

I was wondering with these flaws over this short period... is this a good e-reader after all... or should I trade it in for another one... the sony? On the net you mostly read reviews of people complaining about the troubles with the touchscreen or that it blocks after a while....

So I care for your experienced opinions... since I have a 14 day trial period.

I just love the glowlight.. the main reason why I bought it.
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
I am using the KG now for about one month and I really would not buy it again, but don´t ask me which readers are better because I didn´t use any other.
I would go for a nook glowlight for the simple reason it uses android as OS and I could use the applications (ezpdf, Moon+ reader) I am used from the tablet.
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Have to admit, I moved from a PRS-T1 to a Glo and haven't regretted it at all, I've had a couple of badly formatted books but it turned out they displayed like that on other devices too.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Stoneguard
Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneguard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Have to admit, I moved from a PRS-T1 to a Glo and haven't regretted it at all, I've had a couple of badly formatted books but it turned out they displayed like that on other devices too.
^ THIS.

I also came from an PRS-T1. and i just love the Glo, both e-readers required a bit of messing around at some point to get a book to display correctly. but the Light is simply amazing. I also haven't had any problems with it.
Stoneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Same here.

And the t2 is basically only a t1 with a few firmware updates and new buttons.

The wrong cover bug you experience was introduced with the latest firm 2.31, which is absolutely terrible.
If you are willing/able to invest a bit time in your glo, do a factory reset and upgrade it manually to 2.21, there are instructions on this forums on how to do it.
Perhabs add the plugin aswell, and you will have a very solid reader, that offers imo a much better reading experience then the sony.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Your issue with the Coben book was not a "flaw" in the reader, and it wasn't splitting the words "wrong". When you feed a reader a completely broken book, it's anyone's guess as to how it's going to render.

If you prefer the Sony, by all means get it! It's a decent enough reader, and you'll likely enjoy reading on it. I love my Glo (would just like the italics bug fixed...), but most of the ereaders about the place are more or less usable, and it's different strokes for different folks. I'd find it really hard to go back to an unlit reader, but it doesn't bother some.

Last edited by meeera; 01-15-2013 at 08:06 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Your issue with the Coben book was not a "flaw" in the reader, and it wasn't splitting the words "wrong". When you feed a reader a completely broken book, it's anyone's guess as to how it's going to render.
Was that the book with various <font> tags? Because if yes, it *was* kobo splitting words wrong.
As much as html doesn't specify how to split words, <font> is an inline html element and inline html elements are never a valid base on which to split. It *is* valid to have a portion of a word written in different font (imagine an emphasised letter) and boundaries of such font change are not sensible places for a newline.

In other words, while that book was silly, it was not invalid and there exists a perfectly logical way to render it, and what Kobo was doing was not it.

Unless you're referring to a different word split problem in which case I apologise for off-topic...
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Love my Glo. Unfortunately I can't do a comparison as I've only ever owned Kobo ereaders.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Was that the book with various <font> tags? Because if yes, it *was* kobo splitting words wrong.
As much as html doesn't specify how to split words, <font> is an inline html element and inline html elements are never a valid base on which to split. It *is* valid to have a portion of a word written in different font (imagine an emphasised letter) and boundaries of such font change are not sensible places for a newline.

In other words, while that book was silly, it was not invalid [...]
With massive, massive caveats - I can't read Dutch at all and the book looks fine to me on my Glo, and the OP never responded to my question to tell me exactly where they were having the problem they were having - and I'm not remotely an epub guru - what I've read says that the <font> tag doesn't exist in the epub/XHTML 1.1 standard. The epub book certainly didn't validate in Sigil. I'm quite happy to be wrong on any of this, which is why I suggested that he take his problem to the EPUB forum here for more informed help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

In other words, while that book was silly, it was not invalid and there exists a perfectly logical way to render it, and what Kobo was doing was not it.

Unless you're referring to a different word split problem in which case I apologise for off-topic...
Strictly speaking since most epubs I've seen use a xhtml11 doctype which is not all that different from a XHTML 1.0 Strict declaration, the <font> tag is not supported. You should use CSS styling to obtain the same effects instead.

HTML5 does not support <font> and in HTML 4.01, it is deprecated -- at least, that's what my HTML validator has to say.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
With massive, massive caveats
OK right, I actually didn't get a chance to see the epub and I'm not an expert either, so there might be more wrong coming up.

Quote:
what I've read says that the <font> tag doesn't exist in the epub/XHTML 1.1 standard.
That might be true (is epub based on xhtml or html5 or neither?), however in html (don't know about epub) each unknown tag is defined to be considered an inline element too (equivalent to <span>). This is done for forward compatibility.

Quote:
The epub book certainly didn't validate in Sigil. I'm quite happy to be wrong on any of this, which is why I suggested that he take his problem to the EPUB forum here for more informed help.
I don't know a lot about epub either, so I'd like to agree
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
anandg46
anandg46 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Have had the Glo for about 2 weeks and have not noticed a single problem.All my favourite books have been arranged in nice shelves-thanks to calibre- and I still have huge empty space in the main memory in spite of loading about 500-600 books. the original Kobo cover works beautifully and I have yet to recharge the Glo . I read about 1-2 hours daily. I am coming from Sony PRS-505.Have inserted 4GB card in the Glo but it is empty at present. I feel most of the problems enumerated here are possibly due to badly formatted ebooks than anything else. Just my two cents.
anandg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

This was the exact problem.. and I can't figure out why it was messed up on my glow.. and someone else did not have any problem on their Kobo Glow device.
That's wat worries me a bit
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #14
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'd consider my Glo flawless aside from the light not going low enough, making it impossible to read in bed without another light on. And I miss the quilted backing from the Touch.

Otherwise it's MUCH more stable (have never had to hard reset and I read a lot) and MUCH faster than my Touch. Text also looks better with the high-rez display, although it degrades more with each turn without a full refresh.

Last edited by stewacide; 01-16-2013 at 02:32 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
sunny1z
Enthusiast

sorry forgot to quote Syskin
This was the exact problem.. and I can't figure out why it was messed up on my glow.. and someone else did not have any problem on their Kobo Glow device.
That's wat worries me a bit

Quote: