Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
geophyrd
geophyrd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Problems with Reader

Ok, I've been kind of lurking for a while in the background. I bought a Sony PRS505 and I've been using it daily. Love it...I have over 200 books on it now and have some questions:
1). I can't figure out how to use the Sony software to direct books to be synched to the SD card and not to the Reader...I'm out of space, which slows everything down!

2). I can't figure out how to organize! I kind of have books all over the place. Even when, using Libris500, I go to the trouble of organizing the meta data as to books in series, it doesn't carry over to the Reader. Also, using Libris, some files cannot be converted...can't tell why. They are all the same format, but if I have 20 books in a series, 2 or 3 non-continguous ones won't convert.

3). On the Reader itself, I can set up the Collections, but that doesn't mean they work. Very aggravating.

4). Font sizes seem to vary between books for no good reason.

5). Lately (the last 2 days), I've had a problem disconnecting my Reader. It continues to display the 'connected' logo and I have to reset it to get back to the Reader's desktop. That may be memory related, but I can't figure out how to save files to the card instead of the desktop. Once they're on the Reader, I can't delete them without really deleting them. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance for the help and/or suggestions, folks!
geophyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
1) Windows should be mounting the SD card as a 2nd drive & it should then appear as a seperate device in the Sony software. Maybe you need to reallocate it's Windows drive letter via Windows "Disk Management"?

3) Setup the collections on the Sony software on the PC (drag & drop) then drag the collections to the device. You can also manage the collections on the device when it's connected - Doesn't really help but "works here"!

4) Yes - You may well end up getting better results (or at least more consistent) by starting with .lit files (MS Reader) & converting yourself via libprs500 or Book Designer.

5) (Guessing) Access the device as a USB device & delete the /cache folder there?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, geophyrd!

The organization thing is something most folks run into pretty quickly. The general consensus on the best way to organize books on your Reader is to keep them on your PC instead.

The organizing tools on the Reader are so rudimentary, that they're just more cumbersome than most folks want to mess with.

What most folks end up doing, and what I do myself, is use the Reader itself as an electronic reading shelf. I put the books on it that I know I want to read "next" and take them off as I finish them. The internal memory is way more than adequate for the dozen or so titles I have on it at any given time with this approach, and it allows for organizing them on the computer in whatever way makes sense, rather just whatever the software will allow.

Unless you have some particular reason for needing to carry a proverbial butt-load of books on your Reader at all times, you may find that this sort of approach might work better for you too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Hi,

I make all my collections on the Reader Software and then transfer the collections to the Reader. This works for me.

Initially, it takes longer if you're loading a large number of books, since you have to transfer one collection at a time, but over all, I prefer to take the time to do this to start with, and then I have everything organized on the reader.

Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
geophyrd
geophyrd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks all

for the good advice. Its greatly appreciated.

IMHO, the software I've seen should be scrapped and overhauled. Its really bad. I've got ebooks whose titles and authors are garbled and simply, its a bit of a mess. I've been converting but what I've found is that many ebooks wind up as one paragraph that's 800 pages long. sigh...

I did find out how to move the books over to the SD card. My 4 GB SD card wasn't showing up...that was the problem I was having. So I replaced it with a 512M and there it was. I took out the card, formatted it, reformatted the Reader, then turned off the auto synch. Then once the PC recognized both Reader and card, I moved everything over to the card.

Boy, wouldn't a simple 'move' or 'copy' command have come in handy?
geophyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad you got it worked out, geophyrd.

One thing to note, the Reader only sees the first 2 GB of an SD card, if you want to go bigger than that, you'll need to look into a MemoryStick, it can handle up to 8 GB in those. It can also handle an 8 GB MemoryStick and a 2 GB SD card at the same time, giving you a total of 10 GB between them ... if you really want that sort of pain.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote