Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #526
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
:-) its not prattle - it prompted me to run it and found loads of errors :-)

But yes, what I'm after is "Check Author Initials" :-)

(Actually what I **REALLY** want is a big button to run every check in all of your plugins, which then runs off and corrects all the errors all on its own) ;-)
Giving Auto anything (and that includes Kiwidudes, excellent tools) free reign, is a disaster waiting to happen.

There are always exceptions
Without a 100% accurate dictionary of these exceptions...

Nothing is quite as good, as the user, in spotting those that should not be touched.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #527
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
OK,

Maybe - do first check, present "errors" and "corrections" A La Manage Series, user either corrects manually or clicks Autocorrect if whats left corrects OK, then automagically moves on to next check etc etc....

(BTW - finally got round to reading the help pages ;-) the columns are set very wide in first section so have to scroll page to read but every other section is OK??)
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #528
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@DMee - thx for the heads up on the help file widths. It is a Word document that I do Save As filtered html on, so the joys of the crappy html Word produces. I've tweaked my Word document for the next version and now it seems to fit the browser width better.

Running multiple checks at once has been requested/discussed before in this thread. There are a number of issues that have to be tackled with it. It will happen one day, but not in my immediate plans.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #529
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.9.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Now requires calibre 0.8.59
  • Add a "Check authors non alphabetic" option to Check ePub Metadata menu to find authors with invalid separators or other cruft
  • Add a "Check authors non ascii" option to Check ePub Metadata menu to find authors with accents/diatrics in their names
  • Add a "Check authors initials" option to Check ePub Metadata menu to find authors with initials that do not match your preferred style.
  • Add to plugin configuration screen an author initials dropdown for configuring preferred author initials format
  • Add a "Check smarten punctuation" option to Check ePub Style menu to search for ePubs with " or ' in body
  • Add a "Show all occurrences" option to "Search ePub" as a slower running alternative to just displaying the first match
  • Add a "Plain text content" option to "Search ePub" to search html body content for sentences without any tags
  • In the log for "Search ePub" display the preceding and following 25 characters around the match in the log
  • Fix for "Search ePub" to not allow user to search if they have no scope checkboxes set
  • Change the log viewer to a custom implementation that preserves formatting rather than calibre's <pre> approach.
  • Minor fix for "Check javascript" to display marked:epub_javascript in the search bar
  • Change to use a new calibre API function for "Check & fix file size" rather than direct database manipulation
  • Fixes for "Check epub css margins" feature to fix various bugs and updates to match the latest Modify ePub v1.2.8 release
  • Fix for "Check Adobe inline .xpgt links" to also look for @import style statements
  • Fix for "Check manifest files missing" to correctly handle nested relative paths

Rather a long list... enjoy.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #530
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So can we have Quality Check run Modify ePub if it finds things that need to be fixed that Modify ePub knows how to fix?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #531
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So can we have Quality Check run Modify ePub if it finds things that need to be fixed that Modify ePub knows how to fix?
I 'Select All', the QC response records, then select The Modify EPUB (Selected Records mode): <choose the modify to do>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #532
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
@ kiwidude.

Thanks again. Nice update.

The help file fits on my screen now. Cool.

I seem to be missing "Check authors for non alphabetic," "Check authors for non ascii," "Check authors initials," and maybe more.

Last edited by 44reader; 07-07-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: delete embedded photos
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #533
kiwidude

@44reader - I can't see any images but my guess is you forgot to restart calibre after updating the plugin. You have seen the new help file because that is looking up the latest physical html file in the zip, but calibre won't load the plugin code into the UI until you restart it.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #534
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Strange that you can't see the images. For some reason imgur wouldn't work for me; never had any trouble before. So I used the one at the top of Wikipedia's list. Maybe it's not a good site to use. I'll bin them now anyway... you were right; I simply needed to restart. Whoops again.

BTW, my PayPal account is blocked (wrong country basically).

Can I just suggest that you keep the wording of the plugin exactly word-for-word the same in the help file. It might help people searching the forum and also maximize the speed of looking through the help file. Obviously it's not a big deal at all.

Eg.

"Check authors with no commas" v "Check authors missing commas"

"Check authors for casing" v "Check authors for case"
Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #535
kiwidude

@44reader - I've tidied up the help file for the next release. One of those things thats always done last before I push a zip out and not always consistently if I forget that I renamed a menu item etc. There was an entry missing and a dead entry to remove in there as well.

As for images, the easiest way is to just add an attachment to your forum post, click Go Advanced and then use Manage Attachments or the paperclip button.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #536
44reader
Connoisseur

^ Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #537
44reader
Connoisseur

Check titles with series

"You can modify the search criteria in the plugin preferences."

I can't see where to do that.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #538
kiwidude

The help info on that item is out of date, I removed the configuration option a long time ago.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #539
44reader
Connoisseur

Hello again, kiwidude.

I'm back on this replaceable cover thing.

Very often when I look for non-replaceable covers (and always not that long after all my books have had replaceable ones) I suddenly find that ALL my books suddenly have non-replaceable covers.

It's bewildering and I feel certain that I haven't done anything myself to cause all of them to change like that (beyond using Modify ePub or Quality Check).

When it happened this latest time, all I had been doing was using this plugin (and a few instances of using Modify ePub.

So I retraced my steps.

I ran "Insert or replace cover" on all the ePubs. Then I ran "Update metadata". Then I checked that all my ePubs had replaceable covers. Fine.

Then I ran through other things I had been running with this plugin (and the top-left 3 items in Modify ePub - one at time), each time subsequently running "Check replaceable cover."

Eventaully I had 'success'. I ran Modify ePub on all my files with "Remove non dc: metadata from manifest."

After I did this, again I ran "Check replaceable cover." None of them were replaceable. All were non-replaceable.

I don't think I can easily do this again straight away because I think I need them to show up first under "Check non dc: metadata" and of course I've just removed all that cruft.

But what I do know is that very soon, and by doing very little, ALL my files will soon show up under "Check non dc: metadata."

So it seems to me that either:

1) Modify ePub or Quality Check is adding non dc: metadata or

2) "Remove non dc: metadata from manifest" is making the covers non-replaceable.

Or something of a combination or something in between that I can't get my head around.

I really am pretty sure that something's not right somewhere with one of these fantastic plugins; it is just too common an experience to find ALL my ePubs with non-replaceable covers.

My posting this only shows in what high regard I hold these plugins (and you - without wanting to sound like a creep).

If I'm helping, well that's my intention. If I'm being an idiot (again), I'm sorry.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #540
44reader
Connoisseur

deleted

Last edited by 44reader; 07-12-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: best forgotten about