Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Robot and Foundation Series

Do you need to read the Robot series before starting Foundation?

Thanks
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
No you don't. Its a self contained series. Although in the last one there might be a slight reference, but its more of the kind for an avid fan to catch and does not take away anything at all from the story. Happy Reading!
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Just to clarify, by the Foundation series I'm referring to:

Foundation
Foundation & Empire
Second Foundation

Those are a completely self contained story arc and the later sequels/prequels might contain passing references to the Robot novels. Don't remember them too well, the original three are the best.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
MrEcko
MrEcko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Like adityadubey said. The regular three Foundation novels were written before Asimov decided to link the different series together and can be read without any trouble. The two prequels (Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation) both have references to the Robot novels but it's nothing that will make you have to have read them. The later two novels after the regular trilogy (Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth) are in the same boat.
MrEcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just to add my two cents.

I generally thought that Asimov tried too hard in the last years of his life to link the Foundation and the Robot stories together. When I feel a need to reread either the Robot Novels or the Foundation books, I generally avoid the books written after Foundation's Edge and Robots of Dawn. They just don't work nearly as well for me.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies

Which books are the original Robot series? I get confused between storyline chronology and publication date. All these later additions drive me nuts.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
adityadubey
Addict

oops..I seem to be malfunctioning. For a second I thought you wanted the Foundation series, and was wondering why since I've already mentioned them above

Last edited by adityadubey; 11-17-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
adityadubey
Addict

I, Robot
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun

Those are the originals.

Last edited by adityadubey; 11-17-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
adityadubey
Addict

If you're a stickler for chronology, the link below might help you out. But I must insist at this point that in my opinion the Foundation and Robot novels mentioned above are the best he wrote. There is no connection between Robot and the Foundation series as far as the original books mentioned above are concerned.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...-reading-order

Last edited by adityadubey; 11-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Thanks for the link. I needed an orderly list that included dates of publication.

What are my chances of comprehending Foundation if I can't even figure out the story's sequence?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note, while the stories in I Robot are set in the same universe (or maybe multiverse) as the Caves of Steel and the Naked Sun, they have very little impact on the stories in the two novels. Essentially they occur a thousand years before the novels. Other than mentioning Susan Calvin (I think she is mentioned, its been a while since I read them) and dealing with the same fear of Robots by the common man, they have no impact on the stories being told.

In other words, feel free to read those stories (and Asimov's other Robot stories) any time you want.

--
Bill
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks for the link. I needed an orderly list that included dates of publication.

What are my chances of comprehending Foundation if I can't even figure out the story's sequence?

Since the original Foundation trilogy was actually a fix-up of shorter fiction, this is a more complicated question than you might think . That being said, I don't have exact dates, but here is publication order for the Foundation Series.

Based on Publication Date
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
<roughly thirty years pass between the publication of Second Foundation and the rest!>
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth
Prelude to Foundation
Forward to Foundation

Based on internal Chronology
Prelude to Foundation
Forward to Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

I would strongly, strongly recommend reading them in publication order since the last three books published provide spoilers a plenty.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
adityadubey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

I was lucky to come across the books more or less in the order of their publication , would have confused the hell out of me otherwise.

Its been ages since I've read them, and I just realised looking at the list that there are a couple I haven't read! So I shall soon proceed to read them in order

I usually like to have a long SF/Fantasy series ongoing, been thinking what to pick up, this can be it for a while
Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
adityadubey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would strongly, strongly recommend reading them in publication order since the last three books published provide spoilers a plenty.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
I read them in Asimov's suggested order, and have added the posthumous additions to the Foundation universe to my reading list as well. I'm on "Foundation's Fear" right now-- here's my reading list:

The Complete Robot
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
The Currents of Space
The Stars, Like Dust
Pebble in the Sky
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire