Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Calibre for converting library epub books for kindle?

Lately I've been dowloading epub books from my local library and putting them onto my kobo. My mom has a kindle and would like to use the library as well. So that leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Can calibre be used to strip the drm and convert from the Epub format into the amazon format?

2. All my library books are downloaded into the adobe digital editions software. How do I get books from adobe digital editions and move them into calibre? I've tried drag and drop but that doesn't work and I can't find ant export function.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
It 'can' be done, but not unless you're willing to violate copyright laws and do some extra work. The Kindle is not ideal for library borrowing since they use (mostly) the ePub format with DRM copy-protection. That is one of the few disadvantages of the Kindle.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
1. Can calibre be used to strip the drm and convert from the Epub format into the amazon format?
DRM removal is not supported directly by Calibre, although it can convert the books to Kindle Mobi format after any DRM has been removed using external tools.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Yes. The latest tools_v2.1 bundle includes a Calibre plug in for Adobe DRM-ridden ePub that should make this as easy as converting DRM-free ePub to MOBI. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for the latest state of play for DRM.

Note that there is very little doubt that stripping DRM from lending library ebooks is illegal in the US. It is difficult to see how the DMCA can be enforced in practice for lending library ebooks that you format shift for personal use though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote