Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
scanning or photographing ?

I know, when you want to convert a paper book to an ebook, you need a scanner and an OCR software (I have both)

But what you also need is: patience. Overall, my scanner is pretty good (even though it is a few years old) but slow. I don't know if nowadays scanners are faster or not, but I guess it takes like 30 seconds to scan a page (could be more or less, I never looked at the clock while scanning).

However, recently I had an idea: I have a digital photo camera. With this, I can take up to 3 pictures a second. I have different lenses, a tripod and an extra flashlight. So why not take photos of the pages, instead of scanning them. Sure, there might be some problems, that don't occur if you use a scanner. Like for example, the book may not stay flat unless you use something to hold the pages open.

Has anyone of you ever tried that ? Did it work ? What camera settings did you use ?
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Good idea, but not new. Check out instructables.com for instructions on a DIY book scanner with dual cameras and a plexiglass box. By the way, the entire book scanning operation Google is undertaking, yep, all done with cameras.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
I don't know if nowadays scanners are faster or not, but I guess it takes like 30 seconds to scan a page
OpticBook 3600 needs about 8 sec, while scanning at 300 dpi.

Quote:
However, recently I had an idea: I have a digital photo camera. With this, I can take up to 3 pictures a second. I have different lenses, a tripod and an extra flashlight. So why not take photos of the pages, instead of scanning them.
s. http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/

Last edited by eLiNK; 01-10-2010 at 05:34 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
But what you also need is: patience. Overall, my scanner is pretty good (even though it is a few years old) but slow. I don't know if nowadays scanners are faster or not, but I guess it takes like 30 seconds to scan a page (could be more or less, I never looked at the clock while scanning).
It's been my experience that scanning the books is BY FAR the quickest and least tiresome part of the whole process. With Plustek Opticbook 3600 scanner, I am doing 300 pages per hour on average, and I browse the web or read a book while scanning.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

ok, thanks alot. Your links really help me.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Waste of Time.
Cut the Book, put into ADF-Scanner, wait, done.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
I can scan around 400 pages an hour with my cheap Epson V30 and read a book or watch a movie meanwhile. Scanning is the least time consuming work in the whole process.
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Kellhus
Kellhus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
OpticBook 3600 needs about 8 sec, while scanning at 300 dpi.
There's also it's successor on the market - OpticBook 4600 which is twice as fast. The interesting part is that they both look the same. I wonder from time to time if there isn't a little switch somewhere that could turn a 3600 into a 4600...

Last edited by Kellhus; 01-16-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Kellhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I buy a paperback copy of the book. Cut through the binding and place the entire book in a document feeder on my HP scanner. Including OCR I have done complete books in less than an hour.

I purchased the scanner with the adf on ebay for $65.00 because it was not a high resolution scanner. But I never run more than 300 DPI and this unit works fantastic for this.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
NASCARaddicted
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I buy a paperback copy of the book. Cut through the binding and place the entire book in a document feeder on my HP scanner. Including OCR I have done complete books in less than an hour.

I purchased the scanner with the adf on ebay for $65.00 because it was not a high resolution scanner. But I never run more than 300 DPI and this unit works fantastic for this.
A document feeder sounds cool.

But when it comes to buying a paperback copy of the book ... this only works on new books. And if you already have a hardcover version, buying a paperback too ... ? Also, if it is an old, out of Print book ...

However, I didn't knew that nowadays scanners became so fast. I am really thinking about getting a new scanner - but then I guess I wouldn't scan enough books that i would need a new one.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
The scanner I purchased sold originally for $3,000. But since everyone wants high resolution color, the document converter black and white high speed scanners sell very cheap.

I am looking for an old Ricoh document scanner that did PDF conversion at 2 to 3,000 pages an hour. If I can find one I should be able to find one for under $200 ro $300

I worked for Ricoh during the time they were produced and they were awesome units.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
There's also it's successor on the market - OpticBook 4600 which is twice as fast. .
Three or four times dearer though.
I've never dismantled a scanner. I wonder if there's any way of modifying a cheap one to make it more suitable for scanning a book. Cutting away one side of it, or a book size length of a side. New deeper lid to accommodate a book. Etc
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote