Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Mackay, Charles: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions, v.1, 15 May 2008.

‘Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.’
(1841) Three Volumes. (This has also been published under the shorter title, ‘Extraordinary Popular Delusions.’)

A history of popular folly. The opening sections, on economic bubbles have (allegedly) been used to train stockbrokers. No doubt Mackay would include the sub-prime mortgage market if he were writing today. As it is, his chapter on Tulipomania describes a period when tulips were (briefly) more expensive than gold and there was a lively futures market in them.
There is also an interesting chapter on beards.

Contents:
National Delusions, The Mississippi Scheme, The South Sea Bubble, The Tulipomania, Relics, Modern Prophecies, Popular Admiration for Great Thieves, Influence of Politics and Religion on the Hair and Beard, Duels and Ordeals, The Love of the Marvellous and the Disbelief of the True, Popular Follies in Great Cities, The O.P. Mania, The Thugs, or Phansigars, The Crusades, The Witch Mania, The Slow Poisoners, Haunted Houses, Philosophical Delusions,
The Alchymists, Fortune Telling, The Magnetisers.

Editorial Decisions
There are a lot of incomplete copies of this work online. Most contain only Volume 1; others are abridgements. This is the complete three-volume version. I have restored accents and italics, using my paper copy as a guide. I have largely left the author’s idiosyncratic spelling alone. The footnotes are often informative and I have left them in the text in square brackets [like this].

Is there is a competition for the greatest number of tags?
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Mackay_Extraordinary Delusions.prc (1.02 MB, 1893 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if there were a competition for tag proliferation, i beleive you've won it. thanks so much for including "unutterable silliness", i'm hoping it will one day be the largest tag in the cloud.

thanks for this, it looks fascinating.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Diogene
Banned
Diogene doesn't litterDiogene doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Thank you very much!
Some chapters I am impatient to read:
The Love of the Marvelous and the Disbelief of the True, Popular Admiration for Great Thieves, Influence of Politics and Religion on the Hair and Beard, The Slow Poisoners, Philosophical Delusions.
What a great menu!
Diogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that you enjoy it, Diogene.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
GBerlin
GBerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2Global
I loaned this to a friend after the .com explosion and never got it back. I look forward to reading the chapter about bulbs while at the Keukenhof. Thanks1
GBerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader

My pleasure, GBerlin.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I can now retire my paper copy! (it's part of my reference shelf. An inch of shelf space reclaimed!)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, animal magnetism, beards, crusades, delusions, duelling, finance, fortune-telling, france, haunting, history, human nature, hypnotism, mesmerism, non-fiction, poison, prophecy, relics, thieves, thugs, tulip, unutterable silliness, witchcraft