Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #18556
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I expect it'll be on special offer for US readers at some point in 2014. The question is whether you can wait!
Well, considering it isn't available until March 18 here, I will have to wait a bit anyway.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #18557
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I finally got around to Doctor Who: The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter.

Not bad so far, although I'm not getting the Second Doctor from the characterisation at all. I'm enjoying the plot well enough though and Jamie and Zoe seem a lot better fleshed out than the Doctor.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #18558
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished The Man in the Queue, by Josephine Tey. Her first Alan Grant mystery, and not really her best. But I did enjoy it, though not as much as her later ones.

Next up, an early Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself. I have been putting off this book for nearly a year, but it came well recommended and I think I'm going to have to give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I just read this book a few weeks ago, after also having put it off for a year or so. I enjoyed reading the First Law trilogy, I hope you enjoy it too!
Question for anyone who has read this book (and/or the series) -- does it stop with the torture stuff or does that continue. If it's going to continue, I'm going to dump it now. I really don't need this level of nastiness.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #18559
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I enjoyed reading The Line with some reservations. It was a bit too much into 'romance' for my taste and also seemed to me to be somewhat predictable (with some reservations). As well it kinda' dragged along using a lot of filler till 3/4 of the way through it when then in Chapter 25 it hit me with a big reveal that I hadn't seen coming. Then it started to drag again till it hit me with another reveal!. So I have mixed feelings. Perhaps if it had been edited down to a novella I might have been happier with it? But despite these reservations/criticisms I still enjoyed reading it.

Now back to reading Dangerous Women where a Diana Rowland story is next!
After Diana Rowland's story Dangerous Women was pretty uninteresting to me. I'd enjoyed the first few stories preceding Jim Butcher's (his entry was the real reason that I'd gotten this book, it was great) then after reading it I began reading the first parts of each story till I decided to skip that one and go on to the next one. Then I got to Diana Rowland's entry which was great. The rest of the book was more of, try it, skip it, and then go on to the next one till the end. Oh well!

Speaking of Diana Rowland, her new Kara Gillian book, Fury of the Demon (#6 in the series) was released today and I've begun reading it.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #18560
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm also reading one of my Christmas presents - an omnibus of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic in graphic novel form. One of my sons got it for me, because it wasn't a book I'd rather have in electronic form!
Raising Steam was very good indeed. The graphic novel is quite fun so far, and I expect to enjoythe rest of it.

Next I'll be reading my most recent Asimov's SF magazine.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-09-2014 at 07:45 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #18561
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Question for anyone who has read this book (and/or the series) -- does it stop with the torture stuff or does that continue. If it's going to continue, I'm going to dump it now. I really don't need this level of nastiness.
One of the main characters is a torturer by trade so there is torture throughout the trilogy. Having said that, I believe the first instance is the worst and most descriptive. It's a good series, I would recommend you keep going and see if it gets more palatable (not the torture, the book itself ) before you stop.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #18562
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am finishing up Crown of Slaves, the first in the Manpower offshoots of Honor Harrington. Before I move onto Torch of Freedom I am going to catch up on my Star Wars and read Mercy Kill, the new X-Wing novel.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #18563
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
One of the main characters is a torturer by trade so there is torture throughout the trilogy. Having said that, I believe the first instance is the worst and most descriptive. It's a good series, I would recommend you keep going and see if it gets more palatable (not the torture, the book itself ) before you stop.
I'm really not enjoying this. I broke off to read some Georgette Heyer just to clean my palate. The book itself is well written, and I can see the appeal. But I really have no desire to spend my life reading about torture, brutality and gore. (Don't get me wrong - there's some MilSF I like quite a bit, such as the Empire of Man series. But gratuitous violence, torture, rape, and lingering gore are things I avoid.)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #18564
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith, and Football. Normally, I read on my Kindle, however I received this physical book for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	117726  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #18565
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
That was a very entertaining read. Better than the first two even though I really enjoyed the previous books. Now on to the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #18566
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
That was a very entertaining read. Better than the first two even though I really enjoyed the previous books. Now on to the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Great book, and the one JKR calls "pivotal" in the series!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #18567
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite when I first read the series and my favorite movie. I am excited to see if that holds up this year, when I re-read the series.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #18568
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I finally got around to Doctor Who: The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter.

Not bad so far, although I'm not getting the Second Doctor from the characterisation at all. I'm enjoying the plot well enough though and Jamie and Zoe seem a lot better fleshed out than the Doctor.
And done. "Not bad" just about sums up my feelings about this - no better and no worse than the average Doctor Who tie-in book, although I suppose I expected it rise above average.

The non-Who parts - especially everything to do with describing space and various spacecraft etc - were good, though, so I'm looking forward to reading some original science fiction by Baxter at some point.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #18569
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'm really not enjoying this. I broke off to read some Georgette Heyer just to clean my palate. The book itself is well written, and I can see the appeal. But I really have no desire to spend my life reading about torture, brutality and gore. (Don't get me wrong - there's some MilSF I like quite a bit, such as the Empire of Man series. But gratuitous violence, torture, rape, and lingering gore are things I avoid.)
It is not gratuitous. It is integrated and important for the whole trilogy.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #18570
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is not gratuitous. It is integrated and important for the whole trilogy.
Then the whole trilogy can do without my $$ or reading time. Sorry, it's not something I'm willing to read. Full stop.