Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
memenow
memenow began at the beginning.

Device: nook
How to automatically create chapter titles and breaks in an epub file?

I have a big file that is separated into categories with an underscore beneath each category name. The file is constantly changing and there are 80 categories. It is a plain text file. I would like to make it so that each category name is a separate chapter in an epub file. I would also like to make sure each chapter name is the title of the chapter. Is there a way to do this automatically with Calibre? Maybe some regex magic? For example, I would like the chapter titles for the categories below to be: Fruit, Vegetables, Herbs. And I would like it to be parsed automatically (one way to do this would probably involve recognizing the underscores in a regex expression). How can I do this?

Fruit
________
Apples
Bananas

Vegetables

Herbs
_____
thyme
cayenne
memenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Since your souce file is a text file, you could simply use Markdown to mark headings and convert the text file with Calibre to an ePub before editing it with Sigil.

(Select Convert books > TXT Input > Formatting Style: markdown before you convert the text file to an ePub file.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
bit late, but you could replace

(^\w+[^\n]+)(\s+(_)\3[^\n]+)

with

<h1>\1</h1>\2

and then generate the toc in sigil
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, regex, regular expressions