Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
explanation please

What exactly is "torrent" and what is it used for? I've seen some site online that show it.....I know its a download but nothing else. Thanks....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you mean BitTorrent, it's a file sharing thing kind of like Napster. I haven't used it but I usually see it in relation to downloading video (legal and illegal) and files (legal and illegal).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you mean BitTorrent, it's a file sharing thing kind of like Napster. I haven't used it but I usually see it in relation to downloading video (legal and illegal) and files (legal and illegal).
yes, that is what I was talking about.

Now, how do I know an if its legal or illegal download/site?? I really don't want to go 'into the dark zone'.......
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
yes, that is what I was talking about.

Now, how do I know an if its legal or illegal download/site?? I really don't want to go 'into the dark zone'.......
Well if you're downloading Harry Potter eBooks, that would be illegal. Then you have Leo Laporte, (formerly of TechTV now of TWit) who puts his web based programming on BitTorrent for anyone to download.

What kind of stuff are you looking at?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Well if you're downloading Harry Potter eBooks, that would be illegal. Then you have Leo Laporte, (formerly of TechTV now of TWit) who puts his web based programming on BitTorrent for anyone to download.

What kind of stuff are you looking at?

Yes, some things are obvious. And i"m not currently looking at anything, but a recent post here mentioned 'torrent' BUT in the past, I've surfed pages that offer the bittorrent download inorder to get their books. I'm just a little leery of downloading something I'm not familiar with.

Then you have Leo Laporte, (formerly of TechTV now of TWit) who puts his web based programming on BitTorrent for anyone to download.

Legal? I'm not understanding what you said......thats my ignorance, not your wording.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yes, some things are obvious. And i"m not currently looking at anything, but a recent post here mentioned 'torrent' BUT in the past, I've surfed pages that offer the bittorrent download inorder to get their books. I'm just a little leery of downloading something I'm not familiar with.

Then you have Leo Laporte, (formerly of TechTV now of TWit) who puts his web based programming on BitTorrent for anyone to download.

Legal? I'm not understanding what you said......thats my ignorance, not your wording.
Yes, the stuff from Leo is legal. The link I gave you shows his blog where he provides links to BitTorrent downloads of his show.

Quote:
The good news is that BitTorrent is getting easier and easier. I've been playing with a new client for Windows and Mac called Fireant and I'm very impressed. Not only will it download audio and video files via BitTorrent, the software allows you to copy video and audio directly to an iPod, PSP, Creative Zen, and other devices. If you're having trouble getting TWiT via iTunes you might want to try Fireant.

Here are the BitTorrent RSS links you can use with Fireant:
Old 07-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes, the stuff from Leo is legal. The link I gave you shows his blog where he provides links to BitTorrent downloads of his show.
Okay, thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
What exactly is "torrent" and what is it used for? I've seen some site online that show it.....I know its a download but nothing else. Thanks....
A "torrent" is a torrent file, and torrent files are used by peer to peer file sharing software using the bit torrent protocol.

The purpose of bit torrent is to reduce the load on servers. The torrent file isn't the content you want: it's a description of the content. The bit torrent client reads the torrent file and contacts a tracker running on a torrent server. The tracker maintains a list of machines that have all or part of the file, and sends it to you. Your bit torrent client opens connections to those machines and requests the file.

The key to bit torrent is that it's two way. At the same time you are downloading pieces of the file you don't have from machines that have it, you are also uploading pieces of the file you do have to machines that need it. Bit torrent is designed for simultaneous upload and download, and while you can download without uploading, it will be very slow.

How fast you'll get the file depends upon how many systems known to the tracker have it. The more seeds (systems with a complete copy) there are, the faster you can get the file. For that reason, it's considered courteous in bit torrent networks to leave your torrent client connected after you get the complete download, to allow others to get it from you.

Bit torrent can be used to transfer any sort of file, and it's popular for folks sharing music, films, and TV episodes. I tend to use it for things like open source software distributions, to do what it was intended to do and reduce the load on the host server.

There are a number of Bit Torrent clients out there, including the original Bit Torrent program. I like an open source Java based version called Azureus, but there are plenty of other options.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
A "torrent" is a torrent file, and torrent files are used by peer to peer file sharing software using the bit torrent protocol.

The purpose of bit torrent is to reduce the load on servers. The torrent file isn't the content you want: it's a description of the content. The bit torrent client reads the torrent file and contacts a tracker running on a torrent server. The tracker maintains a list of machines that have all or part of the file, and sends it to you. Your bit torrent client opens connections to those machines and requests the file.

The key to bit torrent is that it's two way. At the same time you are downloading pieces of the file you don't have from machines that have it, you are also uploading pieces of the file you do have to machines that need it. Bit torrent is designed for simultaneous upload and download, and while you can download without uploading, it will be very slow.

How fast you'll get the file depends upon how many systems known to the tracker have it. The more seeds (systems with a complete copy) there are, the faster you can get the file. For that reason, it's considered courteous in bit torrent networks to leave your torrent client connected after you get the complete download, to allow others to get it from you.

Bit torrent can be used to transfer any sort of file, and it's popular for folks sharing music, films, and TV episodes. I tend to use it for things like open source software distributions, to do what it was intended to do and reduce the load on the host server.

There are a number of Bit Torrent clients out there, including the original Bit Torrent program. I like an open source Java based version called Azureus, but there are plenty of other options.
______
Dennis
Ah......I see a faint glow at the end of a very long tunnel of understanding.....I don't download music, tv or moves. Just books. And programs to help me change some stuff about them.