Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Project Gutenberg...

Is this splendid project still running - I Know the library's there still, but are they adding content still ?
I appreciate the founder has recently died, but seeing a request for help with the project still up, I thought I'd see what was involved in proof-reading for them.
I got a heading to link to, but this had the rider "this information is no longer accurate".

So I ...... didn't go further..

Is it simply stalled until things are set in train again, or is the content to remain as it is ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Is this splendid project still running - I Know the library's there still, but are they adding content still ?
I appreciate the founder has recently died, but seeing a request for help with the project still up, I thought I'd see what was involved in proof-reading for them.
I got a heading to link to, but this had the rider "this information is no longer accurate".

So I ...... didn't go further..

Is it simply stalled until things are set in train again, or is the content to remain as it is ?
I just viewed a book,The Boyhood of Great Inventors by A. Fraser Robertson , that was added 3Dec2011
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Check with Greg Weeks. He has posted here occasionally.

There are still books being added, but I know they have a year+ backlog...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Yeah, they're still doing daily updates, as the guy who founded it set things up so it would keep running without them.

What you want is to join PG's Distributed Proofreaders (the main site seems to be down, so linkage to the Wikipedia article describing), which is available in a number of "flavours" for different regions' copyright terms so if you live in an eligible area, you can specialize your contributions for the stuff that's Life+ instead of those wacky Disneyfied US rules.

Here's a quickie e-How article on How to Volunteer with Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders and Preserve Historic Books, which describes the practical steps a little more succinctly.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
NicholasV
Enthusiast
NicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Nook Touch, (ex)Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
... I know they have a year+ backlog...
Is there a place one can see just the backlog from the completed Distributed Proofreaders projects that are not yet added to the official Gutenberg site? A year backlog sounds pretty significant to miss.
NicholasV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
How long until Peggy Bacon's Ghost of Opalina can be transcribed? Seems to be a sought after book whose author is dead and publishers are not interested in reprinting.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
How long until Peggy Bacon's Ghost of Opalina can be transcribed? Seems to be a sought after book whose author is dead and publishers are not interested in reprinting.
She died in 1987, so her books will enter the public domain in countries with a life+70 copyright term on 1st Jan, 2058. Not too much longer to wait.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Distributed Proofreaders (the sourcing site for Gutenburg) is down today for maintenance. They'll be back up tomorrow (or later tonight).

The Current backlog for DP is 18 months; roughly a million pages. This represents the pages that have already been OCR'd, undergone three rounds of proofing, two rounds of formatting, and are awaiting finalization. Most of that backlog is in Post Processing and verification; this is where the final transcription gets smoothed into the final readable forms for posting on GP.

If you'd like to volunteer, all you have to do is read the proofing rules, take an easy quiz, and start proofing. As you get experience, you move into formatting and the higher rounds of proofing. Post processing and smooth reading are also available activities.

There's a huge variety of projects in work; everything from encyclopedic volumes of science and knowledge to old-timey dime-store novels. Something for every interest.

Careful though ... its habit-forming.

Wanna know more? PM me.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
What you want is to join PG's Distributed Proofreaders (the main site seems to be down, so linkage to the Wikipedia article describing), which is available in a number of "flavours" for different regions' copyright terms so if you live in an eligible area, you can specialize your contributions for the stuff that's Life+ instead of those wacky Disneyfied US rules.
Project Gutenberg is still very much alive.

PGDP is doing an OS upgrade today Sunday 4 December 2011. The proofing site will be back up as soon as the upgrade is finished. There is a 12 hour window scheduled for the upgrade, but it's likely to be shorter than that.

The Canadian site http://www.pgdpcanada.net/ is still up today. The different Projects are independent of each other, but there is a fair bit of overlap in the volunteers.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
Project Gutenberg is still very much alive.
And thankfully so. PG has been a blessing in so many ways.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thank you everyone - wonderful that the work continues.

I shall follow up all the info given, excellent.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I've worked with (for) DP for over a year now. I consider it a payback for all the great works they've formatted and proofed for the public domain through PG. The big holdup is the later "polishing" stages in which only very experienced proofers can work. There are so few of them at that level that it does take an inordinate amount of time to complete the process. Add to that the complex formatting of some of the older printed material and you have a natural bottleneck in the process.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
She died in 1987, so her books will enter the public domain in countries with a life+70 copyright term on 1st Jan, 2058. Not too much longer to wait.
How do you get Andre Norton books now, then?

copyright law as it is won't outlive public outcry for long...

PG is wonderful.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
...If you'd like to volunteer, all you have to do is read the proofing rules, take an easy quiz, and start proofing. As you get experience, you move into formatting and the higher rounds of proofing. Post processing and smooth reading are also available activities....
Thanks for the reminder. One of the cool things about DP is that you can just do a little bit intermittentty--a few minutes here and there adds up. I tried to do a little for DP almost every day for a while a few years ago, but I had gotten out of the habit.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
How do you get Andre Norton books now, then?
I buy them from Baen, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote