Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Any Fire Friendly Calendar apps that sync with Google?

I'm looking for a good Calendar app that will run on the Fire and sync with Google Calendars. I do not want to use the web page. I found Business Calendar, but it requires that the Fire be able to set up accounts. On an Android phone or tablet you use Settings-->Accounts to set up accounts for Google, etc. Unfortunately the Fire has a stripped down menu system that does not allow this. So I need an app that doesn't require the set up of Google accounts through Android. In other words, a calendar app where I can point to my Google calendar within the app itself.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I found one that works, CalenGoo. Unfortunately it costs $5.99, but it does work with Google Calendars. Amazon should have included a functioning calendar app with the Fire.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I agree.

I've been using Pocket Informant on just about every device for the last 10 years - from Palm to Pocket PC to iOS. It's available in the Amazon App Store ($10), but it doesn't show up under a search through the Fire store. I guess that means it's not optimized for the Fire yet. It's a good program, including both a great calendar app as well as task and contact management. I think it even syncs across devices, but I'm not 100% positive about that.

Actually it was the free app of the day on the 14th - missed it by one day. It's not worth seeing if it works for $10, I think, but maybe someone else has tried it already...
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
I liked Pocket Informant too. I bought it for the iPhone 4 last year. And it synched with Outlook.

BTW, if we bought the application in one format, we can't go back and get it in Android, can we? (although I'm pretty sure not ... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I agree.

I've been using Pocket Informant on just about every device for the last 10 years - from Palm to Pocket PC to iOS. It's available in the Amazon App Store ($10), but it doesn't show up under a search through the Fire store. I guess that means it's not optimized for the Fire yet. It's a good program, including both a great calendar app as well as task and contact management. I think it even syncs across devices, but I'm not 100% positive about that.

Actually it was the free app of the day on the 14th - missed it by one day. It's not worth seeing if it works for $10, I think, but maybe someone else has tried it already...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Root your fire. Install market. Unroot Fire. Install all the google apps you want, including native calendar.

Or don't unroot it, if you don't care about prime streaming.

Last edited by gweminence; 11-17-2011 at 05:21 PM.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I agree.

I've used Pocket Informant for years and it's the best, IMHO. First rate with Google Task sync as well.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you login to your Amazon account then go to their app store you can look up an app and it will tell you if it is compatible with the devices you have registered with them. Unfortunately, Pocket Informant is listed as incompatible with the KFire. I'm not sure why but I suspect it uses Google services which of course the KFire does not have.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Rebeleber
Rebeleber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm looking for a good Calendar app that will run on the Fire and sync with Google Calendars. I do not want to use the web page. I found Business Calendar, but it requires that the Fire be able to set up accounts. On an Android phone or tablet you use Settings-->Accounts to set up accounts for Google, etc. Unfortunately the Fire has a stripped down menu system that does not allow this. So I need an app that doesn't require the set up of Google accounts through Android. In other words, a calendar app where I can point to my Google calendar within the app itself.
The Android Market has one called snapcal that is free (ad supported) or you can upgrade to the snapcal pro version for $1.00. I didn't even notice the ad before I registered it. It's only a buck and I was so happy to finally find one that would sync with google I just couldn't resist registering it just to say Thank You.
Rebeleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find the best one for the Fire is CalenGoo. It syncs all Google calendars and tasks and is very customizable. Excellent.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
root, install gooogle apps and google calsync and install any googla sync calendar you want.

PI is annoying on iPhone, permanently popping up "full sync necessary". Is this the same on android?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
root, install gooogle apps and google calsync and install any googla sync calendar you want.

PI is annoying on iPhone, permanently popping up "full sync necessary". Is this the same on android?
I haven't had any problem with the Android version of PI on my phone or tablet. The tablet version is in a class by itself -- gorgeous UI.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Do you guys even read these threads before posting? This thread had last seen activity over three months ago and some of the recent suggestions (last two days) are already covered!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Do you guys even read these threads before posting? This thread had last seen activity over three months ago and some of the recent suggestions (last two days) are already covered!
Yes, I have. Shall I go sit in a corner now?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Will join you there
diba is offline   Reply With Quote