Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
adding paragraph indentions

I started with a text file. Ends up readable, the paragraphs are seperated, but not indented. Is there any way to indent all the paragraphs in one fell swoop?

thanks in advance.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I started with a text file. Ends up readable, the paragraphs are seperated, but not indented. Is there any way to indent all the paragraphs in one fell swoop?

thanks in advance.
Edit the stylesheet for the class that only covers the paragraphs.
Add
Code:
 text-indent: 3%;  (or 1.5em or 15pt)
I like % because it makes the indent proportional to the display width, all the others are absolute, with respect to width.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
soondai
Guru

ack!
follow up q:
where would it go in here? or do I need to add something for paragraphs?

@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
page-break-before: always
}
.calibre1 {
display: block
}
.calibre2 {
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em
}
.s {
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: left
}

I am out of my depth here, but if I could make this one small alteration using coding I think I could do everything else I'd like thru the simpler bookview interface. I just have a few books in very primitive text form that I switched over to rtf and then to EPUB thru Calibre.

If there's a boilerplate stylesheet for epubs that started rtf that someone could point me to, that'd also be great.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
It depends on which is effecting the paragraph.

If you look in your text (in code view of course), you are looking for something like:

Code:
<p class="calibre2">
I just chose one of the ones in your CSS at random, but it could be any of the others (I suspect it will be calibre2 from what I can remember from my conversions using Calibre). Once you find it, you will know which one to alter.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 09-07-2010 at 09:13 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Looking at your CSS, might I suggest putting a ";" at the end of each parameter in your CSS as well. e.g.

Code:
.calibre2 {
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
}
I've marked in read what I'm talking about. This will make it easier to insert more parameters into you CSS entries, also I believe it is the correct way of stating them as well.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
It depends on which is effecting the paragraph.

If you look in your text (in code view of course), you are looking for something like:

Code:
<p class="calibre2">
I just chose one of the ones in your CSS at random, but it could be any of the others (I suspect it will be calibre2 from what I can remember from my conversions using Calibre). Once you find it, you will know which one to alter.
The main paragraph one can have almost any number :/ , and not just limited to "calibre#"... It all depends on what you converted from.

You need to look at the Code View of your document and set as many as needed to the desired values. (the example shown was a very simple sheet. Some are huge and a mess. Others are large and elegantly complex)

I believe the final semi-colon is optional... But mid point ones ARE Required and the whole style class with the errorgets ignored
Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
 text-indent: 3%;  (or 1.5em or 15pt)
I like % because it makes the indent proportional to the display width, all the others are absolute, with respect to width.
Not strictly true. An "em", being defined as the width of a lowercase "m", would vary with the size of your text. Increase text size, and the indent increases along with it.

I prefer 1.5em. While % works well for reasonable text sizes, it tends to break down at the extremes. At small text sizes, 3% takes looks a bit much, while for really large text sizes, it can be hard to visually make out any indent at all.

Try it here (w3schools.com).

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Not strictly true. An "em", being defined as the width of a lowercase "m", would vary with the size of your text. Increase text size, and the indent increases along with it.

I prefer 1.5em. While % works well for reasonable text sizes, it tends to break down at the extremes. At small text sizes, 3% takes looks a bit much, while for really large text sizes, it can be hard to visually make out any indent at all.

Try it here (w3schools.com).

--Nathanael
But I want it to vary by size of my screen.
My theory, is the wider the screen (line), the more pronounced the indent needs to be. On a small screen (5", 600x800), 2 chars seems to be enough. on a widescreen, I want about 4 chars worth of indent.

Ideally, I would like to have both, % and em at the same time.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ideally, I would like to have both, % and em at the same time.
It could be done when CSS3 is included in ePUB
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It could be done when CSS3 is included in ePUB
Oooo...!

But there will probably be Ice in a certain place before my reader supports that

I can't (won't) replace my device just because a newer model came out .
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
ack!

<snip>

I am out of my depth here, but if I could make this one small alteration using coding I think I could do everything else I'd like thru the simpler bookview interface. I just have a few books in very primitive text form that I switched over to rtf and then to EPUB thru Calibre.

If there's a boilerplate stylesheet for epubs that started rtf that someone could point me to, that'd also be great.
My suggestion would be (aside from learning HTML and CSS) to NOT use Calibre to make your ePubs, and to NOT convert TXT to RTF first.

Open the original text file in Sigil and do all your editing there. Sigil adds simple tags ( like <p> ) instead of the automated naming system that Calibre must use.

The double conversion is needlessly complicating things.

Sigil opens at least TXT and HTML files -- no need to use Word or any other editor (except a text editor, see my sig) to do these basics, especially if your goal is ePub.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Actually, to add to what Cap said:

I'd further add that I've run into a moderately serious problem when converting epub->mobi in Calibre, which is that if you use EXTERNAL stylesheets in Sigil, when you convert your xhtml epub Sigil file in Calibre, if you have any styling, (for indented parras, for example), you lose all the formatting except on any pages you imported which had their own internal css sheet--at least, I think that's what's happening. I'm going back to a file I'm working on today and replacing all the ss calls to the external ss and see if this resolves the problem with the epub->mobi conversion issue.

I've abruptly discovered that a BUNCH of books I've done lately (and converted from epub->mobi) have no indented paragraphs, despite being styled that way with text:indent in the external css, and working fine in epubs. I figured I would start here.

(For those of you discussing CSS).

NEVER MIND!! note to self: do NOT name css styles beginning with numbers. Calibre HATES it.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-09-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Add info about naming convention for styles
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
TheCrazier
TheCrazier began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
OMG this is exactly what i was looking for...i was going around just adding spaces to indent ; it worked but it took forever.... thanks

so each "p class=calibre#" is a different group that follows those rules? thats great so i can use one group for the main body and another for quotes and another for inserts..sweet
TheCrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, to add to what Cap said:

I'd further add that I've run into a moderately serious problem when converting epub->mobi in Calibre, which is that if you use EXTERNAL stylesheets in Sigil, when you convert your xhtml epub Sigil file in Calibre, if you have any styling, (for indented parras, for example), you lose all the formatting except on any pages you imported which had their own internal css sheet--at least, I think that's what's happening. I'm going back to a file I'm working on today and replacing all the ss calls to the external ss and see if this resolves the problem with the epub->mobi conversion issue.

I've abruptly discovered that a BUNCH of books I've done lately (and converted from epub->mobi) have no indented paragraphs, despite being styled that way with text:indent in the external css, and working fine in epubs. I figured I would start here.

(For those of you discussing CSS).

NEVER MIND!! note to self: do NOT name css styles beginning with numbers. Calibre HATES it.

Hitch
What you describe is downright scarey! I have had no problem converting Sigil ePub to MOBI using Calibre. I use an external CSS.

e.g.

Code:
p {
  margin: 0; 
  padding: 0 0 5px 0; 
  text-indent: 1.5em;
}
Please let us know what you find.

The only thing I really dont't like is the putrid blue/purple color of the links.

Code:
a {
color: #000000;
}
doesn't work.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote