Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Libra2 freeze on downgrade FW

New Kobo

It updated to 4.34.x at sign in after WiFi connect (New).
I connected to PC and copied downloaded 4.32.x for Libra-2

Ejected and black screen with cancelled power buttons and three big dots (Static).

Nothing happened since.

Later tried reboott after charger, but just brief flash and LED.
Later tried full reset (hold page button while pressing power), but just flash and LED on for a few seconds.

Will I send it back to Kobo (after contact) or is there anything else to do?

The battery was a bit low, but usually if it's too low it doesn't update till charged?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Left on charge:

Now nearly 2 hrs later it's occasionally flashing screen and lighting LED without any buttons pressed.
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Now LED on steady for longer, but just gone off.
Maybe corrupt SD Card or faulty LiPoly cell?
Old 12-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd try the factory reset procedure first (check the Kobo website, IIRC, it's something along the lines of holding one of the page turn buttons during boot), in case that's not borked yet, but, yeah, sounds like a fatal snafu during the update.

EDIT: And I can't read. You did that already ;D.

So, yeah, unless you're feeling adventurous and want to try to re-image the SD card yourself (and I'm not sure we actually have a sane Libra 2 image on-hand), RMA sounds like a safe/sane bet.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-06-2022 at 01:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'd be confident about opening & unglueing & copying image. I have a spare card if anyone has a working image, if the removed one isn't good.

Rotten time of year now for returns by post. Does Kobo expect me to pay shipping back?
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #6
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Have you tried holding the power button down for >30 seconds. That's restored my libra 2 from numerous lock-ups.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Have you tried holding the power button down for >30 seconds. That's restored my libra 2 from numerous lock-ups.
Yes, and the Reset version where you also hold the page turn. Does flash entire screen and light LED.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

This isn't looking good at all.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:58 AM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you think this is specific to your device, or is it impossible to go back to 4.32 after using 4.34?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:07 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Do you think this is specific to your device, or is it impossible to go back to 4.32 after using 4.34?
Works on original Libra, Sage & Elipsa.

Even so, the Factory reset should work (holding page key while power on).

Last edited by Quoth; 12-07-2022 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Rakuten-Kobo have agreed to replace: Reason failed update.
Perhaps the battery (really a cell) is faulty or the waterproof coating is making SD card connection bad.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-07-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:10 AM   #12
furious
furious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Rakuten-Kobo have agreed to replace: Reason failed update.
Perhaps the battery (really a cell) is faulty or the waterproof coating is making SD card connection bad.

Good!

If you don't mind me asking, who did you speak to? Who did you contact?
On Kobo's website they say they have a 30-day return policy.

My Kobo Libra 2 definitely seems faulty, and I purchased mine in May, comfortably less than a year ago. I feel I too should be entitled, by law, for a refund or a replacement.

I bought mine from Kobo UK, online.

I've failed to see an email address I could speak to on their end.

Thank you.
furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:38 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by furious View Post
Good!

If you don't mind me asking, who did you speak to? Who did you contact?
On Kobo's website they say they have a 30-day return policy.

My Kobo Libra 2 definitely seems faulty, and I purchased mine in May, comfortably less than a year ago. I feel I too should be entitled, by law, for a refund or a replacement.

I bought mine from Kobo UK, online.

I've failed to see an email address I could speak to on their end.

Thank you.
I've used chat to contact them. There's also a phone option. In the upper right corner of their webpage there's HELP. If you click on it and scroll down, there's a box Contact Us.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:43 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've used chat to contact them. There's also a phone option. In the upper right corner of their webpage there's HELP. If you click on it and scroll down, there's a box Contact Us.
But in order to get access to the Kobo help options, you do need to have no ad blocker running.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:58 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But in order to get access to the Kobo help options, you do need to have no ad blocker running.
No, chat still didn't work. The free-phone number for Ireland worked.