Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
Asimov reading order

I found a good list online, for Isaac Asimov fans-- it's his own suggested reading order for his robot stories. I've read a good lot of these, but reading them in order is worth going through them again, I bet!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...-reading-order

Enjoy it!
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Strictly speaking, the very first (causality-wise) of all the books in Asimov's continuity is THE END OF ETERNITY. It explains *why*.
It can, however, be read at any time.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
I also found this list, which attempts to give a chronological order for all the stories: http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/insane_list.html
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daephex View Post
I found a good list online, for Isaac Asimov fans-- it's his own suggested reading order for his robot stories. I've read a good lot of these, but reading them in order is worth going through them again, I bet!

Enjoy it!
Nice thanks. I actually have the Empire books on me TBR list. But they are paperback so I keep putting of reading them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daephex View Post

Enjoy it!
Despite the late Dr. Asimov's suggestions, I would actually strongly recommend not reading the following novels according to their interior chronology. Prequels that were written later but occur earlier in the story often give away information that will dramatically change your perception of the stories... Not to mention, I am not a huge fan of Asimov's last several novels (Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward to Foundation and Robots and the Empire).

Also, prior to Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn, readers had no reason to believe the Robot stories were linked at all to the Empire/Foundation novels.

My suggestion is to read the original Foundation Trilogy and the first two robot novels and I Robot before worrying about any of the other books (The Empire Novels can be read whenever you want; while set in the same Universe they really have no impact on the rest of the Universe). Then read Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn. I hesitate to recommend the Robots and Empire or anything that was written afterwards, but that is me...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Despite the late Dr. Asimov's suggestions, I would actually strongly recommend not reading the following novels according to their interior chronology. Prequels that were written later but occur earlier in the story often give away information that will dramatically change your perception of the stories... Not to mention, I am not a huge fan of Asimov's last several novels (Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward to Foundation and Robots and the Empire).

Also, prior to Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn, readers had no reason to believe the Robot stories were linked at all to the Empire/Foundation novels.

My suggestion is to read the original Foundation Trilogy and the first two robot novels and I Robot before worrying about any of the other books (The Empire Novels can be read whenever you want; while set in the same Universe they really have no impact on the rest of the Universe). Then read Foundation's Edge and The Robots of Dawn. I hesitate to recommend the Robots and Empire or anything that was written afterwards, but that is me...

--
Bill
Bill, Thank you for your suggestions! By the way, did you read Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer or any other his books?
I'm trying to choose my next book: Asimov's Foundation Trilogy or Hominids
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you haven't read the Foundation Trilogy then there's no question in my mind - one of the classics of SF against a book I've never heard of?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you haven't read the Foundation Trilogy then there's no question in my mind - one of the classics of SF against a book I've never heard of?
I like all books written by Robert Sheckley and I tried to read Asimov in the past but didn't finish... maybe will try again some day
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Bill, Thank you for your suggestions! By the way, did you read Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer or any other his books?
I'm trying to choose my next book: Asimov's Foundation Trilogy or Hominids
I have not gotten around to Hominids yet. I have read his Calculating God, and I found it interesting.

I second the thought though that the original Foundation Trilogy is a book that should be on every Science Fiction fan's must read list. That work has influenced many different sci-fi works, including Star Wars.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I just noticed that this Asimov classic is out in an extremely overpriced for it's age ebook edition.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Actually, I've read Foundation Trilogy and it's been one of the most boring series I've ever known in SF. Maybe they're classic, but the sooner everyone forgets about them, the better in my opinion - or more people lose more time trying to read them...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm currently re-reading an ancient collection of Asimov stories from the 50's and 60's. Robots were still given names similar to their model numbers (TNY5=Tony) and all of the characters smoked at the office. The stories are simple and entertaining, the type of stories that Asimov did best.

As a side note, not only did he write social science and hard science essays, but I had a HUGE tome of his that was a sort of "Cliff's Notes" on the complete works of Shakespeare. This book was thicker and heavier than the volume of complete works that I was studying from!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Truthfully, the ordering was an after-the-fact forcing of things (I suspect at the behest of the publisher.) After leaving out the "Fat Elvis" stories, (the later foundation stories and Robots and Empire), you really have three universes, which share some technology (author laziness).

You have the Robot Universe (which include the Lucky Star juveniles, which all these lists leave out), and the robot stories. This universe have non-human aliens, though they are hidden/trapped in their environments, the Empire universe with it's novels, and the foundation trilogy universe, which may or may not be connected with the empire universe.

My opinion is, pick a universe and enjoy. (My preference is the robot universe, but that's just me.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Serput
Serput began at the beginning.

Device: Computer ( PC )
I prefer reading Foundation Series starting with the prequels

I have all the books of the Foundation Series, including the Second Foundation Trilogy, written by authors authorized by Asimov's heirs!
I advise everyone the following reading sequence:
1. Prelude to Foundation
2. Forward the Foundation
3. Foundation
4. Foundation and Empire
5. Second Foundation
6. Foundation's Edge
7. Foundation and Earth
8. Foundation's Fear
9. Foundation's Chaos
10. Foundation's Triumph
Books 8, 9 and 10 are the Second Foundation Trilogy and were written by other authors, that were authorized by Asimov's heirs.
Until now, I've read the first five... that is, i have read it so far not in the sequence they were written and published but in the sequence of the story itself. I prefer this way and I recommend it. We can perceive the all sequence of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post

--
Bill
Serput is offline   Reply With Quote