Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
ebook_junkie
ebook_junkie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
LRF Display options

Despite the fact that I prefer epub as a format, I'm sometimes forced to use LRF because I have found that some epubs won't display correctly on my PRS-350, but they will display correctly in LRF format. However, I really hate the fact that my PRS-350 displays all LRF main body text in italics, and what would normally be in italics, is displayed in normal font. It may be my imagination, but it also appears to me that the standard font in LRF files is heavier than normal - it almost appears to be all in bold.

Is there any way, using Calibre, to change the way that the PRS-350 displays the fonts in LRF files to rectify the above issue? I've looked through the settings and can't see anything that stands out to me as a total Calibre newbie.
ebook_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
No, there is NO possibitlity to manage it with callibre. That's because this format do not support different fonts and CSS like EPUB.

Explained the other way:
LRF displays the one and only font on the reader which SONY forces you to use. You cannot change this font easily, you cannot see this font when connecting the reader to the PC.

For changing fonts in LRF (same for TXT, RTF) you would have to 'hack' your reader to force it using another font.
This is possible, but not simple. I've had your problem too and managed it by writing my own 'hack'.

If you want to try it, you would have to install the firmware-addon 'PRS+' and then the firmware-addon 'ZORK-Edition' which is an altered PRS+ version. Sadly the LRF-font-function is not 100% bug-free.

If you really want to try it, I would recommend to install PRS+ first and get used to PRS+. If you don't like it, you coud revert it with a deinstaller available. If you like it, you could install ZORK (from my website, link in my signature). If you do not like it, you can use the same deinstaller.

At least PRS+ I very very recommend

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 08-15-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I had a 505, but I assume they are similar. There are at least two fonts: a serif and sans-serif.

I'd try experimenting (or ask the question in the Calibre forum).

Here is what I used to use for settings when I was converting to LRF. Try clicking on the Fonts check box in Filter style information also.

You could also try embedding a font,it's in the LRF Output pane (although I've never tried it).

The regular being displayed as italics sounds like more of a formatting error then a font error.

I'm a couple of versions back on Calibre, so my screen shots may not match.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	90819   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	90820  
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
No, there is NO possibitlity to manage it with callibre. That's because this format do not support different fonts and CSS like EPUB.
LRF does support embedding fonts. Calibre can do this when converting. Times New Roman is a good choice to use for this. But, LRF does slow down with embedded fonts. On 505, it got to be too slow. I have no idea if it will be too slow on a 350. I've not used LRF for a very long time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook_junkie View Post
Despite the fact that I prefer epub as a format, I'm sometimes forced to use LRF because I have found that some epubs won't display correctly on my PRS-350, but they will display correctly in LRF format.
Use Sigil to look at the ePub and see what is wrong. Use FlightCrew to validate the ePub to see what could be wrong. Double check the CSS to make sure there are no errors there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
LRF does support embedding fonts.
[ ]
My bad - my memory got blurred concerning that topic... in my case it indeed was not LRF but RTF which I tried to read with other fonts.

Sorry for the wrong information

A
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote