Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #46
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I won't mention the physics textbook I, ummm, forgot, in the university library. I figured at least it would be among friends.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Freebies are clutter.

I've moved from five times in my life. I've culled. Again and again. I have < 10 books on my TBR list either in paper or electronic format and that is all. I've probably got less than a hundred paper books around the house. They have been culled and culled and culled and culled. They have gone in garage sale boxes. They have gone to used bookstores. They have gone to charitable organizations. The survivors quiver in fear when I walk by.
I can imagine one of those old dark, dank dungeons where books are hung on chains on the wall, and some books are chained on the floor, spread out open, and you HomeInMyShoes, the Dungeon and Torture Master, walk by with a whip with a steel barb on the tip in one hand, and a glowing red hot iron prod in the other hand, and look closely at each book as you pass by, laughing uncontrollably Oh the fear! Oh the horror!
(series to be continued in a nightmare)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #48
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Freebies are clutter.
The survivors quiver in fear when I walk by.
This sooo reminds me of Crowley's houseplants from Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Quote:
“The only things in the flat Crowley devoted any personal attention to were the houseplants. They were huge and green and glorious, with shiny, healthy, lustrous leaves.

This was because, once a week, Crowley went around the flat with a green plastic plant mister, spraying the leaves and talking to the plants.

He had heard about talking to plants in the early seventies, on Radio Four, and thought it an excellent idea. Although, talking is perhaps the wrong word for what Crowley did.

What he did was put the fear of God into them.

More precisely, the fear of Crowley.

In addition to which, every couple of months Crowley would pick out a plant that was growing too slowly, or succumbing to leaf-wilt or browning, or just didn’t look quite as good as the others, and he would carry it around to all the other plants. ‘Say goodbye to your friend,’ he’d say to them. ‘He just couldn’t cut it…’

Then he would leave the flat with the offending plant, and return an hour or so later with a large, empty flower pot, which he would leave somewhere conspicuously around the flat.

The plants were the most luxurious, verdant, and beautiful in London. Also the most terrified.”
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #49
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
This sooo reminds me of Crowley's houseplants from Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
OMG, I thought, this thread was about how to reduce your book stock...

Your quote was so nice, so my reader just got heavier again!
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #50
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It's a great read. It's worth the extra weight. It even still exists on my bookshelves.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #51
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Wow! Great story!
How is living on the boat?
Right now I have two boats. One is a houseboat inland, on a river and large lake. It is relatively modest for a house boat, because I wanted to learn to live on a smaller craft, because on the coast I have a small fishing trawler. As far as living area they are about the same. That was a part of the plan. I bought the trawler first. I am renovating the trawler every other week when I have spare time to make it more livable for an old guy in the future.

I live on the houseboat near some metropolitan areas where there are flying jobs. I have one regular though not full time, and two where I am on short call lists. I also get other jobs with the services from time to time, like fire fighting, and rescues like floods, lost people, or big maneuvers, even real estate viewing, etc. I don't need the money but I love to fly. Those are helicopter jobs. I have my own light more economical quicker plane that I use to fly to the trawler, to paying jobs, or to visit people. I don't need the money so much as I just want to fly. It is a habit that becomes like an addiction.

In maybe 2 or at most 5 years, I will move to the trawler, sell the houseboat, and probably let the plane go, maybe even my last helicopter. I can rent a plane occasionally if I need to. I already have the connections at the airports.

I may keep the small helicopter which can be fitted for up to 4 seats and which is not too expensive to maintain and pay for its upkeep by selling rides at fairs, and other places. I have seen that in the area.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #52
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i buy a lot of books but i think i simply like collecting and having things. a large number of them actually will get read one day. i just downloaded 5 or so ebooks and bought 5 hard copies earlier this week. theyre all ones that i'll probably definitely get to lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #53
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
On my Nook Color I have around 150 books are so. On my PC tower I have easily 5 or 6 hundred e-books that I have downloaded from various places such as project gutenbrg, manybooks.net and so on.

A few years ago I donated about 500 books to my local library. They were very happy.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #54
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Okay, I have to stop this.

I'm JDK1962 and I'm a book hoarder. It's been...umm...17 hours since my last acquisition. Here's what I'm going to do to get better:
I used to do that, and then discovered Amazon's wish list. Have you tried it? I get that satisfying "click" without spending the cash.

Other benefits:
-no need to worry that you might forget about a good book, or will lose your paper lists;
-you can browse the wish list and feel the same anticipation and pleasure as you get from the "To Be Read" folder;
-no buyer's remorse or guilt about "falling behind";
-you don't have manage the overhead or clog up your system.

Too bad it doesn't work with LLBean

Last edited by Victoria; 11-05-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #55
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
All right guys it's me again.

On another thread, I remembered.
I still got several hundred (pretty vague eh) VCR tapes in card board boxes that
I recorded off the air or bought a few at thrift centers or dollar stores for a buck.
I also have several hundred music cassettes I recorded off the air for the most part, again in card board boxes.

Most of the boxes have containers with rat poison pellets in them as well. A problem with some storage units.

Yes, yes, I have a lot of work to do.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote