Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #61
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
The Kindle Oasis 2 at $140.00CAD more than the Kobo Aura One had better be made to a higher standard.

(8g, wifi only KO2 at Amazon.ca sells for $389.99; 8g, wifi KAO sells for $249.99)
I had a Kobo Aura (the original), a Kobo Glo, a Kobo Glo HD and a Kobo Aura H20. Even my basic Kindle 4 (which I still have) has been built to higher standard than the first three kobo's, and certainly my PW2 was far better than my Aura H20, which I only ever used near water. For all other reading I have been using Kindles for years now.

Just because I now have an Oasis 2 and a Voyage don't assume I haven't used the cheaper end of the kindle market. My opinion is based on experience.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #62
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
The Kindle Oasis 2 at $140.00CAD more than the Kobo Aura One had better be made to a higher standard.

(8g, wifi only KO2 at Amazon.ca sells for $389.99; 8g, wifi KAO sells for $249.99)
Interesting. In the US, the difference is only $20. From the kobo.com website, Aura One is $229, and Amazon.com has the new Oasis for $249.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #63
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Just because I now have an Oasis 2 and a Voyage don't assume I haven't used the cheaper end of the kindle market. My opinion is based on experience.
As is mine. Cheaper Kindles are no better made than Kobos, in my opinion.

No, I do not own a Kindle, my MIL does - a PW.

Last edited by llcj; 11-21-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: To add last line.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #64
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interesting. In the US, the difference is only $20. From the kobo.com website, Aura One is $229, and Amazon.com has the new Oasis for $249.

Shari
Yeah, I know, it's ridiculous. If I could get one for only $20.00 more than the KAO I would order one. As it is, I don't feel right ordering a device costing $389.99 knowing full well at that price I won't even be tempted to keep it.

I find the price on the Kindle Voyage at $299.99CAD equally rich.

Last edited by llcj; 11-21-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added last line.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

No, I do not own a Kindle, my MIL does - a PW.
The Kobo Glo HD in particular was made of a weaker plastic than a kindle, or any of my other Kobo's. I like to swap cases a fair bit and in both my Glo HDs I ended up with hairline fractures in the screen running from the top down the screen, on the left hand size. The first one after a week, the second an identical break 11 months after I got it. I was lucky Argos gave me a replacement the first time and a refund the second as it was under a year. Imo the fractures were caused by the flexing of the screen taking the device in and out of a case.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Kobo's main (but not only) problem is that they they've ceded the US to Amazon and B&N.

Perhaps if Kobo and Nook were to merge and there was a major ad blitz, it might help.

But at this point, I think it is too late for Kobo to gain on Amazon. So long as they maintain their niche and remain profitable, that will have to be good enough for Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #67
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
it would help greatly if Kobo made a new E-Reader that i thought was worth buying.

(usual subjective disclaimer applies)

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #68
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The eco system is what makes Amazon stand out.
IMO this is the biggest divide, and it's not one that's going to be talked through. To me, the Amazon ecosystem and its tendency to drive people to proprietary formats and single-vendor lock-in is the Kindle's single biggest negative. "Avoid the Amazon ecosystem" was one of my handful of top considerations when looking for an e-reader, along with screen quality, battery life, and storage space. I similarly have avoided the Apple ecosystem when there are reasonable alternatives, though I'm not a zealot about either--I had an iPhone 3GS back when the Android alternatives were ridiculously behind the curve, and I'd buy a Kindle if the hardware were leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

For you and many others, the same ecosystem and (to frame it from the alternate perspective) its ubiquity, ease of use, and wide array of available books is a positive feature that makes it stand out as a plus.

When you have a fundamental disagreement of whether a core feature is a plus or a minus, you're never going to get agreement on "what would make product A better".

Which is fine. They're both in the market, so we can choose according to our evaluations of the relative value of various features.

Last edited by sjfan; 11-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
IMO this is the biggest divide, and it's not one that's going to be talked through. To me, the Amazon ecosystem and its tendency to drive people to proprietary formats and single-vendor lock-in is the Kindle's single biggest negative. "Avoid the Amazon ecosystem" was one of my handful of considerations when looking for an e-reader, along with screen quality, battery life, and storage space.

For you and many others, the same ecosystem and (to frame it from the alternate perspective) its ubiquity, ease of use, and wide array of available books is a positive feature that makes it stand out as a plus.

When you have a fundamental disagreement of whether a core feature is a plus or a minus, you're never going to get agreement on "what would make product A better".

Which is fine. They're both in the market, so we can choose according to our evaluations of the relative value of various features.
Are you aware that even if you use a kindle, you can buy books from other places. You are not locked into an ecosystem. I can get books here and put them on my kindle without jailbreaking or adding anything.
There is no lock.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I can't speak for more recent Kobos, but the Kobo Glo I owned was frustrating in that I had to tap the screen twice most the time to get it to turn the page. Very irritating. The software always felt "half done" to me. The Kindles I've owned (and own) on the other hand seem (-ed) more solid. The Glo had a tendency to lock up (maybe a couple times a week), something that hardly ever happens with my Kindles. The reason I tried the Glo was for the flexibility, but I found I preferred reliability more. Again, this was the Glo and I realize that it's a few generations back now. But the Kindles I use and used (except for the Basic, Generation 8) are just as old (some older) than the Glo. And they're still rock solid.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-21-2017 at 11:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
IMO this is the biggest divide, and it's not one that's going to be talked through. To me, the Amazon ecosystem and its tendency to drive people to proprietary formats and single-vendor lock-in is the Kindle's single biggest negative. "Avoid the Amazon ecosystem" was one of my handful of top considerations when looking for an e-reader, along with screen quality, battery life, and storage space. ...
And then there's those of us who use Linux and (unless we go through the trouble of installing Wine and trying to get ADE to work) we're shut out of DRM ePubs because of its proprietary Adobe ecosystem. No such problem using Kindles. Most places where non-DRM ePubs are provided also have the mobi versions or (at least) the non-DRM ePubs can be easily converted to mobi. So, either way, we're in a proprietary system for DRM books. Either Amazon or Adobe. Amazon is easier.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo's main (but not only) problem is that they they've ceded the US to Amazon and B&N.

Perhaps if Kobo and Nook were to merge and there was a major ad blitz, it might help.

But at this point, I think it is too late for Kobo to gain on Amazon. So long as they maintain their niche and remain profitable, that will have to be good enough for Kobo.
I think that's kind of where Barnes & Noble is now also. They're never going to be a threat to Amazon again, but they do have their niche.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #73
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I find the price on the Kindle Voyage at $299.99CAD equally rich.
The current (sale) price of a refurbished Voyage (with full warranty) is currently $120 in the U.S.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-21-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can't speak for more recent Kobos, but the Kobo Glo I owned was frustrating in that I had to tap the screen twice most the time to get it to turn the page. Very irritating. The software always felt "half done" to me. The Kindles I've owned (and own) on the other hand seem (-ed) more solid. The Glo had a tendency to lock up (maybe a couple times a week), something that hardly ever happens with my Kindles. The reason I tried the Glo was for the flexibility, but I found I preferred reliability more. Again, this was the Glo and I realize that it's a few generations back now. But the Kindles I use and used (except for the Basic, Generation 8) are just as old (some older) than the Glo. And they're still rock solid.
I have the K4, non touch kindle and it is still going strong.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #75
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And then there's those of us who use Linux and (unless we go through the trouble of installing Wine and trying to get ADE to work) we're shut out of DRM ePubs because of its proprietary Adobe ecosystem. No such problem using Kindles. Most places where non-DRM ePubs are provided also have the mobi versions or (at least) the non-DRM ePubs can be easily converted to mobi. So, either way, we're in a proprietary system for DRM books. Either Amazon or Adobe. Amazon is easier.
I don't think it's any different. If you buy from the Kobo store you get DRMed ePubs. If you buy from the Kindle store you get DRMed Mobis. No extra software is required in either case.

If you're talking about buying DRMed ePubs from sources other than the Kobo store, then fair enough. But that's not an option for Kindle either.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote