Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Weird embedded font behaviour on Kobo

In the book I'm working on right now, I've tried styling a part of the TOC as an ordered list, after seeing Turtle91's hint here.

I've embedded two fonts, AlegreyaSC and MutterKrauseBuch, and for some unfathomable reason, my Kobo reader displays the numbers of the list in the latter font, even though it is nowhere specified for that.

I tried in ADE 2.01, in Bluefire Reader and in the Sigil Book View - they all display the numbers correctly.

Wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the Kobo forum, but if anyone has an idea what could cause this strange behaviour and what I could do about it, I'd be grateful.

I'm attaching a test epub with only te stuff in it that is, or might be, connected to the problem
Attached Files
File Type: epub list-test.epub (99.7 KB, 170 views)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't think your conclusion is correct that MutterKrauseBuch is being used for the list numbers in the first ordered list.

I have noticed in the past that, when reading standard epubs on a Kobo, the list numbers always appear in some strange "twisted" font. They look to me as if they have been artificially skewed and stretched slightly. I agree that it does look a bit odd. I've always assumed that the Kobo Adobe reading app is "doing something" automatically, but I don't know what or why.

As to what you can do about it ... I don't think the Kobo kepub reading app has this quirk ... but that's probably not what you wanted to hear
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't think your conclusion is correct that MutterKrauseBuch is being used for the list numbers in the first ordered list.

I have noticed in the past that, when reading standard epubs on a Kobo, the list numbers always appear in some strange "twisted" font. They look to me as if they have been artificially skewed and stretched slightly. I agree that it does look a bit odd. I've always assumed that the Kobo Adobe reading app is "doing something" automatically, but I don't know what or why.
Oh, you're right. I was just assuming it was that font because it's the only thing in the book that looks a bit similar.

So it's just Kobo. No problem, then I simply won't be doing the list thing, but ordinary paragraphs.

VERY strange though...

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Nabodita
Connoisseur
Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
No problem, then I simply won't be doing the list thing, but ordinary paragraphs.
I know this is but if you figure out how to achieve this formatting using paragraphs and without floated text, could you share your code please?

Thanks!
Nabodita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabodita View Post
I know this is but if you figure out how to achieve this formatting using paragraphs and without floated text, could you share your code please?

Thanks!
To be honest, I don't think I'll bother with it. I'll just put the numbers before the text, a dash in between; totally adequate, just without the bells and whistles and extra chic.
Advert