Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
New User Question Regarding Forums, Threads & Posts

Hello,
New to MobileRead (but not forums in general) and had a couple of "generic/general use" questions regarding this site's allowances for forums, threads and posts (I've searched for these but came up empty):
  1. If I create a thread then can I close it? (For instance, upon joining I created a "Greetings" type thread in the Introduction section and was wondering if I could close it at some point once it has outlived itself and it it's not just "hanging out there". I could unsub from the thread but then risk not responding to kind people who introduce themselves after I do so. Don't want to appear rude. Or can only admins/moderators close threads?)
  2. If I create a thread then can I delete it entirely? (Not sure why I would...but again, just learning the allowances with generic questions).
  3. If I post within a thread can I delete it? (For instance, if I post incorrect information or prematurely "Send" somehow or generally just mess up the post so badly that I would like to delete it then can I?)
Thanks in advance. Love the site and the community has been nothing short of fabulous. Glad I joined.
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
1. Only mods can close a thread. MR policy in general is not to close threads except in special circumstances, so even if you ask, it most likely will remain open.

2. Again, only a mod can delete a thread and it most likely won't happen.

3. You can't delete your own post, but you can edit it at any time, effectively deleting any meaningful content, or else fixing the bits you screwed up. As I'm doing here! You can request a post be deleted by reporting it.

Hope this helps. Welcome to MR!

Last edited by issybird; 03-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hope this helps. Welcome to MR!
Yes, it sure does issybird. Thanks for the quick response, detailed explanation (good to know) and greeting. Much appreciated.
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
General rule is to NOT delete (edit down to nothing) as it destroys the context of the posts that follow.

BTW you can ask a Forum level Mod or a Greenie to correct a Subject Line or even (suggest a move if you are not the originator) MOVE the thread to a different forum.

Thread splatter is frowned upon.
necro posting is also not received well (the forum usually pops a warning) It is better to Start a new thread if you see that.

BTW in the software forums (like Calibre, Sigil) 1 year is a really old topic even if it does not trip the warning. Those apps change rapidly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
General rule is to NOT delete (edit down to nothing) as it destroys the context of the posts that follow.

BTW you can ask a Forum level Mod or a Greenie to correct a Subject Line or even (suggest a move if you are not the originator) MOVE the thread to a different forum.

Thread splatter is frowned upon.
necro posting is also not received well (the forum usually pops a warning) It is better to Start a new thread if you see that.

BTW in the software forums (like Calibre, Sigil) 1 year is a really old topic even if it does not trip the warning. Those apps change rapidly
What is thread splatter?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe splatter is taking a thread dealing with topic A and then adding in topic B, C etc
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is thread splatter?
I think it means creating threads on the same issue in multiple fora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe splatter is taking a thread dealing with topic A and then adding in topic B, C etc
If the additional topics are added by someone other than the OP I call it 'thread-jacking', not sure what to call it if the OP adds the additional topics - 'omnibus-threading' ?

Anyway they are both to be discouraged - if only because its can be hard to split threads. Whereas merging threads is relatively easy.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2017 at 01:04 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
All/Any of the above was my intended definition.

OP you will see many of the same names answered posts through out the forums here at MR.
It gets real annoying spending time to answer, only to find that the same OP's question HAS BEEN answered in another thread.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote