Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Toony
Toony has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How to: Extend Kobo Glo HD memory!

I used this old tutorial for the Kobo Mini eReader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QGYk2q80M

Open the back of the Kobo Glo HD very carefully with a very thin blade or better a hard plastic card or your nails. Now you see this:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

The original Card is a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 so it should only have about 6MB/s write, 17 MB/s read
I replaced it with a SanDisk 32GB Ultra Card that has 17MB/s write and about 36 MB/s read! I have the feeling that the Bookcovers in my collections load much faster now.

Basicly you need the free programms:
USB Image Tool
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

- Insert the 4gb Kobo Glo Micro SD Into your PC
- Open USB Image Tool and press "-> Backup" ...save the file and wait
- Remove the 4gb Kobo Glo Micro SD from your PC
- Insert new card e.g. 32gb Micro SD
- Go into USB Image Tool and press "<- Restore" select the *.img file you created and wait
- Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Free
- Select the KOBOEReader(FAT32) Partition on the SD Card and rightklick it
- Select "extend" and move the slider all the way to the right
- Press OK and now on the top right of the MiniTool klick "Apply" ...wait
- Now put the NEW SD into your Kobo Glo HD and Hold the power Button until it starts!

Result:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Toony; 06-05-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Awesome job! I'm glad it worked so well.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Toony
Toony has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.
It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
The post was perfectly readable the jpgs I had in it were below 100kb in size but well you coud just have made links to the pics instead of removing them. I guess this is how you welcome now members there that signed up to help out others!
So here you go 600x600 pixels. The filesize is biger then before and the only way to make the pic big enoth to let the readers here see whats on the screen was to make 4 pics of each.. I have read the Guidelines there is not a max amount or max size for the pics you can post!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-14-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Your pics were good. I thnk the best thing would be to post them full size as attachments rather than inline images, that way readers can see the thumbnail and click on it to see the full size image if they want.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
The post was perfectly readable the jpgs I had in it were below 100kb in size but well you coud just have made links to the pics instead of removing them.
Perhaps in future instead of putting the images inline, you could add them using the Attachments tool which would place a small thumbnail in the message and attach the full sized image for those who want to view it to download. This would keep both you and the moderators happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly.JPG
Views:	1227
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	139042  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Toony:

Your images violated our Posting Guidelines for size. Since you state that you have read our Posting Guidelines, you know this and you also know the pixel limit is CLEARLY STATED. It is not my responsibility to adjust your images: It is your reponsibility to post them correctly and not to exceed the pixel size specified in those Guidelines.

It is not a question of their readability or size in kb, as you state. It involves, as you were clearly told in the Moderator Notice, the size as it relates to pixels - and not kb.

Too, moderator decisions are not open for discussion, and any further comments from you on violating those guidelines will be deleted.

All members are required to follow our Posting Guidelines and you are certainly no exception.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-06-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #8
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Thanks, Toony. I did the memory upgrade with Linux, using dd (copying the image) and gparted (resizing the KOBOeReader partition).
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
Steerpike99
Steerpike99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch / IBooks
Unable to recognise SD Card

Hi there, hoping someone can assist me. I have removed the 4gb use card from my Kobo Glo HD and inserted into my laptop (windows 7). a message comes up asking me to format and I say ignore, however when I open up USB Image tool, it won't recognise the uSD card. I am using an SD to uSD adapter to insert the card in the laptop. I have tried other uSD cards and the software recognises the, I have also tried different SD to uSD adaptors, same result.
Any ideas? I have my 32gb uSD card ready to go to upgrade my Kobo HD Glo but if I can't get a copy of the image I can't copy it onto the new card per instructions above.
thanks in advance for any assistance

PS, When I put the uSD card back in to my Kbo Glo HD, its all good and works

Last edited by Steerpike99; 07-13-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: add info
Steerpike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Steerpike99:

You could also use my Magic Memory Upgrade mod: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261578

The Glo HD will clone the card for you (you only have to copy your books and everything before and restore afterwards, which you can do by connecting the Glo HD to PC normally, copy everything off and back).

> a message comes up asking me to format

This is normal for Windows. The card has a Linux filesystem that Windows can't handle so it wants to format. That should not prevent imaging software from making a raw copy of the entire card. This copy must also include unpartitioned data (bootloader, kernel).

> when I open up USB Image tool, it won't recognise the uSD card

Maybe there is a better tool for Windows? If Windows wanted to format, the card was recognized, and cloning software should work...

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-13-2015 at 10:09 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Did we test whether Kobo can use extra space other than 4G? installation is one thing,but I am not sure whether KOBO will recognize it and actually use it, do we need Hack it too accordingly?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what you mean. The additional storage space for books is available and Kobo displays it in Settings->Device Information. So if you need more space for large PDFs or comics, everything is fine.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 AM   #13
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
Did we test whether Kobo can use extra space other than 4G? installation is one thing,but I am not sure whether KOBO will recognize it and actually use it, do we need Hack it too accordingly?
I used the Magic Memory Upgrade mod with 3 kobo till now and all the space storage of the upgraded micro sd hc - xc cards are available to use for the device (16go, 64 go and even a 128go). So there is no reason to be concern by this.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi...I tried the magic memory option and after 1 hr gave up when all I saw was the square bars going left to right for an hour.I then did the steps with the usb tool and partition tool as per first post and worked like a charm.
I now have a 32GB Glo HD.
thanks to all for providing both options.
D
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipaksomak View Post
I tried the magic memory option and after 1 hr gave up when all I saw was the square bars going left to right for an hour.
Before or after replacing the card?

(Magic Memory shows the forward square bars only after you replace the card and it's slower than the regular bootup square bars).

If you were looking at the bootup square bars then for some reason nickel failed to start and the mod itself kept waiting for nickel infinitely.

If you were already past the black screen / white screen and replaced the card, then something went wrong in the magic memory mod itself. It might do that if your card was partitioned using GPT/EFI but that's highly unusual...

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Tags
kobo glo hd, micro, sd card