Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do you read your own books?

I am working through a series right now, and currently writing book 3... so maybe this changes things, but from time to time I go back and re-read book 1 and 2 of what I wrote to keep my mind fresh on what has happened and last night as I was starting a new pass on book 1 I began to wonder... is it odd to read your own books? Does anyone else do it? So... do you? Do you enjoy reading your own stuff or is it to well known/predictable to you?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I can't see how you could write a sequel without reading the earlier ones. The hardest part (for me at least) would be resisting the urge to change things now that you know what the characters do in the future.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tough luck if you're writing a series. I don't see how you can avoid rereading, if only for the correct spelling of the characters' names.

I had a first novel published back in the 80s and have scrupulously avoided rereading it. My kids tell me it's alright, but I have some trouble believing that. Maybe in another 20 years I'll give it a go.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I don't think it's strange to re-read your own work. Like Ploppy said, if you're writing sequels, you have to constantly remind yourself what happened previously anyhow.

There's no shame in it. Sometimes, you might even enjoy it (and other times, you cringe). It's natural.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
MPElliot
Author
MPElliot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I can't see how you could write a sequel without reading the earlier ones. The hardest part (for me at least) would be resisting the urge to change things now that you know what the characters do in the future.
I agree. I don't see anything wrong with going back. I do it too. I even keep a list of notes handy to jot down events that have happened in recent books. Makes it a lot easier at times then having to find that certain page.

Last edited by MPElliot; 09-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
MPElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Strayer
Strayer began at the beginning.

Device: none
You have to to keep the sense of the books. It's easy to forget.
It also helps to keep the characters true to themselves.
Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
I reread, but every time, I'm torn between "Why did I write this crap?" and "Wow, I didn't realise I was such a good writer." I can't just read to enjoy it.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I reread to keep the past facts straight... though the need depends on the series, ie, I had to reread Verdant Skies before I wrote Verdant Pioneers, but it wasn't that necessary with the Kestral books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I read mine from time to time. It gives me a sense of satisfaction that somebody is reading it and enjoying it.

<sigh>
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I read mine from time to time. It gives me a sense of satisfaction that somebody is reading it and enjoying it.

<sigh>
Maybe we should start a fight with a reviewer, that seems to bring in new readers.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Maybe we should start a fight with a reviewer, that seems to bring in new readers.
Or throw in just a few lines of really bad punctuation so we have a reason to start fights with reviewers...
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If I don't enjoy reading my own prose, it's an indication that I'm writing shallow stories.

Quick page-turners that keep you in suspense about how things will turn out are all well and good, but my goal is to write the kind of story you can come back to over and over and still find something new.

Thinking over my portfolio, for an audience of me, it seems that I'm successful about half of the time:

Blue Ink -- enjoy the characters, but don't like to read it because I don't like the sad ending.

Dead Men Don't Cry -- get bored; I know who dunnit.

Backlash -- can't open the document without getting sucked in and reading at least three pages.

Movement -- will open the document on purpose just to read the beautiful opening lines. Will often read through to the end, all the while feeling ashamed at being so in love with my own prose.

Hexes and Tooth Decay -- fun to read about once per year.

Tammi's Garden -- embarassing to read. Did I really understand so little about plot advancement?

In the Halls of the Sky-Palace -- get sucked in.

The Half-Life of Chocolate -- we're not talking about that one.

(The list goes on, but you get the idea.)
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well I just finished a re-read of book one in my series and found a dangling plot line that I forget I ment to address in book 2... I guess I will work it into book three now!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the laugh

Of course, I reread my books! They are the finest writing available (well maybe Tolkien, Heinlein, and Jayne Ann Krentz have written stuff a little better). I'm sure that people on Tunisia, Egypt and Libya must have been reading my tomes and that is why the Arab Spring broke out. There must be censors in China desperate to avoid my stuff from being translated.

It amazes me that so many people don't understand the value of my work. (Okay, maybe I could use a class on punctuation.)

Some of the best reasons for rereading my books is to update my vision and my thinking, and to see where I could have made the story more interesting and the writing better.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I like rereading my books. I've written quite a few (some under different pseudonyms) and I actually find it enjoyable to read them again. Sure, there are places where you think, why did I do that? But there are plenty of things I forget about also, and if it's been a few years since I wrote it, well, I really enjoy it.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote