Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Cool-er: light, trendy, inexpensive e-book reader

iPod moment for ebook readers (Engadget)

Homepage: http://www.coolreaders.com/

Looks like a great little device. Seems to only support EPUB, PDF and TXT, but that is better than nothing (or introducing a new DRM type).

Also let me say well done on announcing it just before the release in the next two weeks. I prefer this much more to teasing us for months.

EDIT: Now with video walkthrough by Techcrunch (thanks soilwork)

Quote:
Cool-er Classic - Dimensions (Excluding Case)
Height (mm) 183.00
Width (mm) 117.74
Depth (mm) 10.89
Volume (litres) 0.23
Weight (g) 178.00
Screen Size 6"
DPI 170 pixels per inch
Levels of Greyscale 8
Type E Ink® Vizplex
Touchscreen No
Manufacturer PVI
Operating System Linux
Storage 1GB
Memory 128
Processor Samsung® S3C2440 ARM 400MHz
Battery Li-Polymer battery (1000 mAh)
Battery Life (single charge) 8000 page
Memory Expansion SD (up to 4GB)
Wireless No
PC Yes
Mac Yes
Formats JPEG, PDF, EPUB, TXT
Languages 8
Content DRM PDF. EPUB
Bookstore (Titles) Over 750,000
Accessories included: White USB cable, Quick Start Guide
Optional Accessories: Headphones, SD memory cards, mains charger, protective cases
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cool-er-e-book-reader-debut-rm-eng-.jpg
Views:	2471
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	29036  

Last edited by electristan; 05-15-2009 at 12:10 PM.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Looks like another Netronix unit but with the new body design. I wonder if it's metal or still plastic.
Specs claim support for "JPEG, PDF, EPUB, TXT", but the "Loading FB Reader" message on one of the photos might mean FB2 as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It also seems to claim that it works with ADE on Mac OSX... if so, that will be the first reader to do that.
They claim to have 750k titles available on www.coolerbooks.com.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah, they seem to have tried to make it as universal as possible. If they can actually ship these by the end of the month as they claim i think they can do really well.

I really like the simple meny system, with its BIG BOLD font.

It seems that 250 be it €/$ is the new standard price for ebook readers.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So, do they support folders?

I'm not sure how they get 750,000 titles. Perhaps they count each e-book format separately.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Ooh. Me likey.

Darnit, I was almost decided on the PRS-505. Now, I'm going to have to rethink my choice. I often read in the dark so I was thinking of getting the PRS-505 + light wedge. Would the Sony light wedge fit the Cool-er or are there maybe generic light wedges for use with e-ink readers?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
It does look to be worth investigating, but two things stand out:
1. If I can get a new Sony PRC-505 for $269 at Sam's Club, why wouldn't I get a know quality device like that for roughly the same price.

2. The books on their store look MUCH more expensive (but I guess you DON'T have to shop there if you buy this device.

While poking around at CoolerBooks.com I came across something that drives me crazy. I hate when shopping websites give you a teaser price in some small link and then when you select the link it is actually a higher price. Dell is the WORST about doing this, good luck EVER getting something for the price you were shown. I'll bet I've followed the teaser link on over two hundred Dell 'deals' only to place them in my shopping cart and find the rate is higher. Notice the two prices for the ebook 'The Reader' on CoolerBooks.com. Granted 17 cents is much difference, but why can't the actual price be the same as the small teaser rate at the bottom? Why, o' why?:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoolerBooks.JPG
Views:	1720
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	29005  

Last edited by pking36330; 05-14-2009 at 10:23 AM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The specs do say
Quote:
DRM PDF. EPUB
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like the simple. But I wish they would at least give usability a thought and put some well placed turn pages buttons on it. It can not be that hard to do!
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Had they set the price at $200 I think they would have trouble meeting demand.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrizz View Post
I like the simple. But I wish they would at least give usability a thought and put some well placed turn pages buttons on it. It can not be that hard to do!
They're limited by the original Netronix hardware.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Engadget says:
Quote:
with retail distribution partner expected to be announced closer to the launch date
depending on the retailer this might imply a lower price - at least when the retailer is having a sale.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was just about to post about this; should this be in News?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
electristan
newbie reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Had they set the price at $200 I think they would have trouble meeting demand.
I agree $200 would be the magic price for a lot of people to jump into the ebook scene, I'd buy it as a gift for a few at that price (they would owe me big )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I was just about to post about this; should this be in News?
good point, wasn't sure. if someone wants to move it please go ahead.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They claim to have 750k titles available on www.coolerbooks.com.
I wonder where have those 750k titles come from? Is this a rebranded Fictionwise, or some other smaller ebook content provider? Do they count the Project Gutenberg books, or the Google Books (the ones out of copyright)? It sure seems like a hell of an e-book collection to come out of nowhere...

The iPod color scheme looks really cool, I have to admit. And the price $250 is not too crazy, unless this price also means inability to read personal non-DRM content.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote