Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 AM   #2011
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to the MobileRead Book Club's July selection, Hidden Figures, written by Margot Lee Shetterly, and read by Robin Miles. This is a powerful and engrossing book about the black women 'computers' who enabled the US aeronautics advances from the WWII P51 Mustang to the successful manned space flights that sent US astronauts to the moon. The reading by Ms. Miles is perfectly acceptable, though not, perhaps, up to the power of the underlying book. Still, highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #2012
carlcraig
Audiobook Producer
carlcraig began at the beginning.

Device: phone
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is best if listening to the author's reading I think. Douglas Adams is a great story teller.
carlcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #2013
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcraig View Post
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is best if listening to the author's reading I think. Douglas Adams is a great story teller.

It was meant to be heard as it started out as a radio mini series prior to any of the books, but I'm unaware if Adams had any of the speaking roles on the series.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #2014
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not that I planned it this way — I bought The Inexplicable Universe 11 months ago — but having just finished the Downpour edition of Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, I decided to see what was next in line in my Audible purchases and thus I'm now reading two Neil DeGrasse Tyson audiobooks back to back.

I do like Tyson. Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson was the first book I read on my first Kindle back in 2009.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #2015
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Keeper of Lost Cities wasn't bad, it managed to keep me listening. Definitely a youth book, with the usual inconsistent rules and arbitrary actions by adults that one finds in such books. I guess that's how young teens view the adult world.

Now, on to Legend, David Gemmell's first Drenai book. I really like the the series. Hopefully, the narrator is a good one. The first several Drenai books have been hitting Audible over the last month. I should know over the next couple of days if I'm going to go on a buying spree or not since most use the same narrator.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #2016
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently listening to the MobileRead Book Club's July selection, Hidden Figures, written by Margot Lee Shetterly, and read by Robin Miles. This is a powerful and engrossing book about the black women 'computers' who enabled the US aeronautics advances from the WWII P51 Mustang to the successful manned space flights that sent US astronauts to the moon. The reading by Ms. Miles is perfectly acceptable, though not, perhaps, up to the power of the underlying book. Still, highly recommended.
This book didn't disappoint all the way through. Still highly recommended.

Now for something purely relaxing -- I'm currently reading The Skull Beneath the Skin, the second (and final) Cordelia Gray book from P.D. James. This and its predecessor, An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, are both read ably by Katie Scarfe.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #2017
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Today while swimming, I finished up Leaven of Malice by Robertson Davies, read by Frederick Davidson. This is the second in Davies' Salterton trilogy and it's most enjoyable, funny and acerbic. Davies is my favorite Canadian author and it's been years since I read him; time has not staled his appeal for me and the marvelous Davidson with his understated delivery is a good fit. I'm looking forward to working my way through Davies again; unfortunately only two of the trilogies are available as audiobooks.

Next up is The Letter of Marque , read by Simon Vance, the twelfth in the Aubrey/Maturin series. Ah! Sheer bliss. I only let myself listen to these in the summer and since last summer was an unmitigated disaster I may allow myself an extra book or two this year. At #12 (out of 20 and a bit), I'm not quite dreading the imminent end of the sites, but I'm well aware that I'm reading on the back nine.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #2018
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Ah, I envy you that first listen of a Patrick O'Brian book.

I haven't read Robertson Davies. Where should I start?

Meanwhile, I just picked up a 12th century mystery by Roberta Gellis, based solely on the narrator -- Nadia May.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #2019
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Which as you know is the reason for my summer-only rule! I want to spin these out as long as I can.

Quote:
I haven't read Robertson Davies. Where should I start?
I would suggest that you start with Tempest-Tost, the first of the Salterton trilogy and his first novel. The later Deptford trilogy is regarded as his greatest work, but it's not as much fun and it's not available in audio.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I just picked up a 12th century mystery by Roberta Gellis, based solely on the narrator -- Nadia May.
And there's the trifecta in only two posts! Davidson, Vance, May, or whatever variation in name suits. My three greatest of narrators.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #2020
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm listening now to Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman. Works nicely as an audiobook. Raymond Todd's the narrator.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #2021
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm listening now to Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman. Works nicely as an audiobook. Raymond Todd's the narrator.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
I listened to that back in my original audible membership days. Very good. I loved the safe cracking story.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #2022
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And there's the trifecta in only two posts! Davidson, Vance, May, or whatever variation in name suits. My three greatest of narrators.
Indeed. Or, if your from Nolo, the holy trinity. (I really need to get my mind off of food!)

Just getting started with A Mortal Bane, by Roberta Gellis, read by Nadia May. But already that voice has sucked me in.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #2023
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Next up is The Letter of Marque , read by Simon Vance, the twelfth in the Aubrey/Maturin series. Ah! Sheer bliss. I only let myself listen to these in the summer and since last summer was an unmitigated disaster I may allow myself an extra book or two this year. At #12 (out of 20 and a bit), I'm not quite dreading the imminent end of the sites, but I'm well aware that I'm reading on the back nine.
Quote:
Okay, I'm convinced. I'll have to give the series a try

Currently listening to the latest Wilbur Smith addition to the Courtney saga, War Cry. It's the fourteenth in the series, and is typical Smith fare. Well read by David Churchill, but I'm not entirely sure his reading style does the story justice. Might be enjoying it a little more if I had read it myself.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #2024
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Indeed. Or, if your from Nolo, the holy trinity. (I really need to get my mind off of food!)
Do you mean NOLA? Is Nolo a thing too?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #2025
CRussel
(he/him/his)

NOLA. Typo from being on my Fire

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations