Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Two words: Raymond Chandler. Three more words: The Big Sleep.
That's on my short list...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #47
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
I read Caryatids by Bruce Sterling yesterday and was overall disappointed with it. Some reviews of it seem overrated.

Today I read Caitlin Kiernan's first novel "Silk", a gothic, stylistic horror novel. As with "The Red Tree" I really enjoyed Kiernan's writing and look forward to reading more by her.

Up next is "Ice Song" by Kristen Imani Kasai.

Happy 2KX
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #48
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I read quite a bit of Fantasy (Feist, Brooks, Hobb...etc) but believe it or not.... I am really enjoying the Sackett series by Louis L'Amour. The western is for the most part a dead genre, but still quite entertaining. Louis himself once noted that if you wrote a novel about life a few hundred years ago in America east of the Mississippi, it was Historical Fiction. If you wrote about west of the Mississippi, it was called a Western. Never thought of it that way, but so true. Anyway, I am enjoying some Historical Fiction to start the new year.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #49
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
"A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines" by Janna Levin
Eclectic, interesting read. Good stuff.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
"A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines" by Janna Levin
Eclectic, interesting read. Good stuff.
Basing a fictional novel on the lives of Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing sounds interesting. Would you mind writing a short review after you finish to let us know how well Levin succeeded?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #51
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Forbidden Planets, Peter Crowther
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #52
Bob T
Enthusiast
Bob T began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I read quite a bit of Fantasy (Feist, Brooks, Hobb...etc) but believe it or not.... I am really enjoying the Sackett series by Louis L'Amour. The western is for the most part a dead genre, but still quite entertaining. Louis himself once noted that if you wrote a novel about life a few hundred years ago in America east of the Mississippi, it was Historical Fiction. If you wrote about west of the Mississippi, it was called a Western. Never thought of it that way, but so true. Anyway, I am enjoying some Historical Fiction to start the new year.
That's great! I love the Sackett's....
Having read most of the L'Amour books many, many years ago...it was one of the first things I turned to when I got my PRS-300 for Christmas...
I've got his first 8 books on my reader and I've been reading them concurrently with a few "heavier" books...
I'll finish "Kilkenny" later tonight...
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #53
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
T...
I'll finish "Kilkenny" later tonight...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #54
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I finished "the alienist" by Caleb Carr and decided to re-read "the time traveler's wife". I will then go over to "her fearful symmetry". The next one after that will be "Homer & Langley".
I just finished Homer & Langley around Christmas. Beautiful book. I'm sure you'll love it. Wolf Hall after that. Another one I highly recommend. My first read of 2010 was Not Flesh Nor Feathers by Cherie Priest. I started with Boneshaker. Steampunk and zombies! What's not to like? Now I'm just finishing up her Eden Moore books. This is the third and last of them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #55
Bob T
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
LOL.....Kilkenny by Louis L'Amour...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #56
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post

Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #57
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

@BobT... Nice to have another Western reader on board.... I had tried to read some L'Amour a few years ago, but just could not get into it. Now, I am on the second in the series and can't put it down. I went ahead and got some others by him (and other western authors, on some free sites.... there is a lot out there...... Anyway, he tells a good story, and the historical side of it is fascinating....
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #58
Bob T
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@BobT... Nice to have another Western reader on board.... I had tried to read some L'Amour a few years ago, but just could not get into it. Now, I am on the second in the series and can't put it down. I went ahead and got some others by him (and other western authors, on some free sites.... there is a lot out there...... Anyway, he tells a good story, and the historical side of it is fascinating....
Who else do you read? I'm always looking for a good western....

I've never really enjoyed the other big names in westerns, like Zane Grey or Max Brand....(although maybe I should give them another go)
I enjoyed Larry McMurtry...especially Lonesome Dove....but have not found much else....
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #59
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
I just finished Steven Kings "Misery" on new years day, I started last thursday and ended the first three minutes of new years eve- I sure hope 2010 doesn't lack intelligence like 2009.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #60
Bremen Cole
Wizard

I got Max, Zane and Larry from legit free sources, but have not read them yet. And yes to trying them again. I find a few years and my perceptions and taste can change. The books don't change, but we do....

I enjoy new genre's of music and literature. Many people IMHO stagnate in the same old thing, over and over. I also find that a good story/author is good, whatever the genre. I remember when the original Star Wars came out (1977) reading a review that really made sense to me. They pointed out that Star Wars was really just an old fashioned morality play, or Western, with a different backdrop. And that is true. The time, place, people change.... but the author crafts a story, and that is what captivates.

Okay.... back on topic, sorry about the diversion .... lots of free westerns here http://www.ebooktakeaway.com/fiction_westerns

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 01-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.