Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Question 6 page refresh & limited harddrive for non-B&N boks

Hi

I am thinking of buying a Nook STR but I am a bit worried about the 6page full refresh setting and the fact that Nook only have about 300 MB for non-B&N books. Is there anyway to override these settings? Does the 6-page full refresh annoy you after using it for a while?

Thanks
Anne
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Hi

I am thinking of buying a Nook STR but I am a bit worried about the 6page full refresh setting and the fact that Nook only have about 300 MB for non-B&N books. Is there anyway to override these settings? Does the 6-page full refresh annoy you after using it for a while?

Thanks
Anne
You can't change the refresh rate or the amount of space for sideloaded books. I have never found the 6 page refresh to be a problem, if anything, I would make it every 10 or so.

The 300Mb might sound small, but I have some 200 books and I'm using 1/2 of it. You can buy a cheap SD card to increase space if you have lots of books to sideload.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can't change the refresh rate or the amount of space for sideloaded books. I have never found the 6 page refresh to be a problem, if anything, I would make it every 10 or so.

The 300Mb might sound small, but I have some 200 books and I'm using 1/2 of it. You can buy a cheap SD card to increase space if you have lots of books to sideload.
Thanks for the quick reply. How much battery will a SD drain? I read books in 2 languages and I have a bad habit of reading multiple books at a time, so normally I carry around with me a lot of books.

Another silly question: I tried a Nook in B&N yesterday. It worked fine but the device has fingerprints all over it - ew!. Is it normal? Do you have fingerprints on the screen as well?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. How much battery will a SD drain? I read books in 2 languages and I have a bad habit of reading multiple books at a time, so normally I carry around with me a lot of books.

Another silly question: I tried a Nook in B&N yesterday. It worked fine but the device has fingerprints all over it - ew!. Is it normal? Do you have fingerprints on the screen as well?
I have a 16GB SD card and my Nook, without running wifi, lasts nearly a month on one charge reading 2-3 hours a day.

As for fingerprints, I'ts not a problem for me, but I have dry hands. I have seen many folks suggest that you keep an eyeglasses cloth in your case just to wipe it down every so often. The ease of navigation and highlighting with the touch more than make up for it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Anne
The recent 1.1 firmware update made the screen even better, and solved the ghosting problem that some people were having because of the 6 page refresh. The page refresh is now very fast (according to B&N the fastest of any e-ink device). Text is now very sharp, and looks great.
300 MB is enough for more than 300 books. A 4 GB micro SD-card, enough for more than 4000 books will cost you about $5.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
mimosavj
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The recent 1.1 firmware update made the screen even better, and solved the ghosting problem that some people were having because of the 6 page refresh. The page refresh is now very fast (according to B&N the fastest of any e-ink device). Text is now very sharp, and looks great.
300 MB is enough for more than 300 books. A 4 GB micro SD-card, enough for more than 4000 books will cost you about $5.
Excellent information! Thank you so much, I'll order one from Bestbuy today.

Anne
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
mimosavj
Addict

I have just picked up my Nook STR from Bestbuy. Next question: can I arrange sideloaded books on the Nook by Folder Structure? How?

For example, I would like to arrange my books on the Nook as

Romance
+ Author 1
++ Series 1
+++ Book 1 of Series 1
+++ Book 2 of Series 1
++ Series 2
+++ Book 1 of Series 2
+ Author 2 ...

Mystery
+ Author 1
++ Series 1
+++ Book 1 of Series 1
+++ Book 2 of Series 1
++ Series 2
+++ Book 1 of Series 2
+ Author 2 ...

Thank you
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
You can't do that without rooting. The best you can do with the stock firmware is put things on shelves. But check out the rooting subforum and they can get you set up.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Quote:
I have just picked up my Nook STR from Bestbuy. Next question: can I arrange sideloaded books on the Nook by Folder Structure? How?
If you have your books already organized with your folders and subfolders on your Nook drive or SD card, you can access your folder structure by selecting "My Files" in the Nook library.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
mimosavj
Addict

For such a cheap (comparing to my PRS-650) ebook reader, I actually like the Nook Touch very much. The font, margin & line spacing selections are genious. I am surprised that it actually supports book by folder via My Files as "language gamer" stated above without hacking/rooting. That is a big plus. I don't know if I need to use Shelves or anything else to organize my books but book by folders is important for someone who carries around hundreds of books in 2 languages.

I think I will keep it for my Mom or as a backup even if Sony does replace my prs 650.

Now, a couple of stupid questions: Is there any game like hearts or mahjong for the Nook? and does the Nook work with stylus? and with which brand?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Now, a couple of stupid questions: Is there any game like hearts or mahjong for the Nook? and does the Nook work with stylus? and with which brand?
There are currently no games for the nook touch (stock software).
The screen detection is by infrared, so anything that comes close enough to the screen will trigger it. You can use a pen (with the cap on of course), or anything else you fancy, provided it has a minimum width.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote