Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur
melkorbauglir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650,LG G7 ThinQ,Samsung S5 Active,Pocketbook InkPad 3
Am i doing it right?PRS+ and CSS forced Epub fonts via Calibre

Tryed to use other font for PRS-650 with PRS+ firmware.Added fonts into root/fonts,all 4 of otf.Using this css in Calibre:

@font-face {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Bold.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Italic.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-BoldItalic.otf);
}

body {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa", serif;
}

Is LexiaDaMa family serif?Do i need serif in end?Whats the difference?
melkorbauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

In my PRS+ settings i couldnot check the use of css.Though i followed this link:http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/HowToCustomFonts

Downloaded their css,made directories,put it in.It readed-FontsAsInLRF.css:font-face
{
font-family: sans-serif;
src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf);
}
@font-face
{
font-family: serif;
src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf);
}
@font-face
{
font-family: monospace;
src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0419m_.ttf);
}

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 07-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Do i need to readress this :FontsAsInLRF.css,that was above to lexiadama?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
melkorbauglir,

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.
The "fonts as in LRF" approach should work for absolute majority of epubs.
Note that "/Data" is the root of your internal memory (as seen from internal system), you don't have to create "/Data" folder.
Paths are case sensitive.

Quote:
Do i need serif in end?Whats the difference?
You don't. Difference is "if "LexiaDaMa" is not found, use serif".

Last edited by kartu; 07-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Well..i want to use specific one font...LexiaDaMa for all western books and some universal /good in cyrillic font for russian epubs.How can i have in PRS-650 both options?Embedd font into books css via Calibre?Or i can choose from PRS+?LIke:i gonna open book in russian-i choose in PRS+ this font.....i gonna open book in english-i choose in PRS+ LexiaDaMA.
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
melkorbauglir,

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.
The "fonts as in LRF" approach should work for absolute majority of epubs.
Note that "/Data" is the root of your internal memory (as seen from internal system), you don't have to create "/Data" folder.
Paths are case sensitive.

You don't. Difference is "if "LexiaDaMa" is not found, use serif".
Haa.as,i just read russian http://www.the-ebook.org/forum about,how-to russificate PRS-650 with borodas hack (cos it has win-1251 support.).Now i like to put PRS+ above it....but the walktrough i have there: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17990

Как ставить (для чайников) by akinfii

refers to older beta package,and installed via .bat,my reader root... DOESNOT have folder test-startup.Same folders is also missing in latest beta updater package.Can i use PRS+ latest beta exe updater above borodas hack?To keep Borodas hack,and have latest PRS+ too...

Seems updater package wasnt right thing to use.Downloaded full exe.Do it overwrites boroda 1.05n?

BTW,I installed borodas 1.05n via clicking on bat.Downloaded borodas package 1.05n indeed has also folder named:test-startup.I also looked inside PRS+ 2.012 beta....it has folder PRSPInstaller and file runonce.sh.What i need to put into reader root from borodas package and PRS+ 2.012beta.exe to get boroda working with latest PRS+?

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 07-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

OK,i tryed.....PRS+ 2.012beta.exe indeed installs over borodas hack firmware.MY PRS-650 now has original Sony firmware.So-no easy ways for latest borodas hack and PRS+

Ok,i reinstalled borodas 1.05n,moved folder test-setup to reader root,extracted from PRS+2.012beta.exe PRSPInstaller folder and moved it into reader root,did full restarts,deleted PRSPInstaller folder and runonce.sh with changelog txt from reader,set language to russian...all seems fine...but..when i check version i have-its PRS+2.012 beta....boroda hack seems to be gone.As boroda hack had extra buttons in about page,now they are gone.

Did/tryed all i could alone,now im lost.HOW to install boroda 1.05n and PRS+ 2.012 beta after it,keeping boroda?

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 07-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Ok,all is fixed,after hard reset,and restarting with usb in (disables PRS+),i see in About Boroda 1.05n.Seems PRS+ rewrites About page,if started.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I've used both Boroda and PRS+. I don't believe you need them both as they offer the same font customisation options. The only difference (I think) is the directories where the various system files are stored. Both offer the ability to customise EPUB fonts and RTF/TXT/LRF fonts via 2 separate options.

However, I don't know whether Boroda offers other features which are desirable for Russian readers. I only read English I'm afraid, so I can't comment.

If you have 2 different types of EPUB you want to read (Western and Russian) the logical thing to do is to have 2 separate CSS files on the PRS650. One for Western books (LexiaDaMa font) and one for Russian books (??? font). PRS+ will let you switch between CSS files as needed. I can't remember whether Boroda offers the same switching feature.

You can also use CSS files on the PRS650 to adjust font-size to your liking to get round the poor zoom features on the Sony (ie differences between Small/Medium/Large too great).

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-27-2011 at 04:06 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

By look on russian forum-they use alot both.PRS+ atop Borodas hack.Boroda has win 1251 coding capability,might be sessential for genuine russian text,they tend alot to be not in utf-8-
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I was aware (I stand to be corrected), if you install PRS+ on top of Boroda then PRS+ wipes out Boroda.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

If you use exe install-it does overwrite Boroda.But if you take from Borodas hack pack (1.05n) folder named :test setup,and copy it into reader root.

After that extract from PRS+2.012beta.exe ,with 7zip, folder named PRSPInstaller ,and put it also into reader root.Then do full restart from menu,set your languages (full restart is needed to set languages in all submenus),connect to pc,and delete folder named PRSPInstaller amongst with files changelog.txt and runonce.sh.

Voila-Borodas pack with PRS+ latest beta 2.012.Start with usb-there is boroda,start without it....dunno,About page shows PRS+firmware....but it still opens russian files PRS+ failed to open .Borodas pack has fonts plus win 1251 native.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

From what I remember, when you install Boroda there is a dir created in int memory root called /test-startup. It contains a subdir /test-startup/fonts which contains 3 customised font files tt0003m_.ttf (sans-serif), tt0011m_.ttf (serif) and tt0419m_.ttf (monospace) which will be used to render LRF/RTF/TXT files (not EPUB). I'm not sure, but it's possible, that the sans-serif font is also used to render the Sony menus.

There is also a file called /test-startup/startup.sh

With PRS+ you keep the /test-startup directory in the same place but the file called startup.sh should be renamed as prsp.sh and moved to /database/system/PRSPlus/prsp.sh

When you do a full reboot, after installing PRS+ I think you should get the same functionality as Boroda as long as the 3 tt*.ttf files contain all the special characters you will need for your Russian (or any other language) books.

This SonyFont utility was developed by forum member pepak to help you create customised tt*.ttf files from any font you choose.
Note: I'm not sure if you need to be careful about the size of these font files.

Customising EPUB fonts is done completely differently, using selectable CSS files. If you wish to use the same 3 tt*.ttf font files you can use the FontsAsInLRF.css file supplied with PRS+. However, you have much more flexibility with EPUB and can use any .ttf or .otf font which takes your fancy, as long as it contains all the necessary special chars for your chosen language.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Im still not shure i have Borodas firmware,after i mangled with non exe PRS+ folders.It says PRS+ in about menu though,if reader was started no usb attached.BUT...IF I START READER WITH USB ATTACHED-IT SAYS BORODAS FIRMWARE 1.05N.Only thing i need from boroda per se is win 1251 support and maybe fb converter.I knew font thing (one font gives to my russian books ?????,another does not),and somewhat learned PRS+ userStyle.css thing....have already like 3-4 plain styles ,some have fonts,but i havent written path yet.Later will try font sizes,ect other fine tuning.

Do i have boroda ACTIVE?or not....no slightest idea.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #15
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
1) Using setup.exe ovewrites everything.
2) If somebody wants to keep boroda/amutin firmware feature (windows 1251 encoding, PRS+ supports it only for older models) he/she has to follow manual install procedure thoroughly described on the ebook-org forum. It is of any interest only to Russian speaking users so no need to translate it on English forums.
3) If reader is connected to USB during boot, PRS+ doesn't start (on purpose: "safe mode").
4) PRS+ has built in fb2 to epub converter, I'm not sure about other firmwares
5) PRS+ has its own key customizer, you don't need "about" screen of other firmwares.

And last but not least, I'd suggest to use UTF-8 instead of evil ony byte encodings for TXT files.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote