Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
New Kobo eReader Clears the FCC, Has Wifi and a 6.8″ Screen - discuss

I'd like to see discussion of this article:

New Kobo eReader Clears the FCC, Has Wifi and a 6.8″ Screen

I for one will buy it if it's running Android, but not if it is a Wacom screen (which requires a stylus, from what I understand).

Discuss!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'd like to see discussion of this article:

New Kobo eReader Clears the FCC, Has Wifi and a 6.8″ Screen

I for one will buy it if it's running Android, but not if it is a Wacom screen (which requires a stylus, from what I understand).

Discuss!
Sounds like a direct competitor for the Onyx Boox T68 to me. Had it been 8", I would have bought one; as it is, I'll wait for the Boox i86 (preferably) or the Pocketbook Inkpad 840.

It works as a replacement for the Aura HD, but not as a successor.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am fine with the size of the Aura HD. I feel an 8" screen would be too large to read novels on, for me.

I do hope it runs Android like the Onyx T68, but with the dimensions of the current Aura HD. (The T68 has a larger body, despite the same screen). I love Kobo readers, so I would not hesitate to get one. I had an Onyx reader (not the T68) and did not care for it, so I would not buy another.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I am fine with the size of the Aura HD. I feel an 8" screen would be too large to read novels on, for me.

I do hope it runs Android like the Onyx T68, but with the dimensions of the current Aura HD. (The T68 has a larger body, despite the same screen). I love Kobo readers, so I would not hesitate to get one. I had an Onyx reader (not the T68) and did not care for it, so I would not buy another.
I agree, having seen the ocean. Too large for novels (unless you have eyes problem, and need big fonts.)

But 8" will make technical pdf readable
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To each his own, of course. I used to read novels on my Kindle DXG, so to me 8" is still smallish :-). I already have an Aura HD, so just a move to Android isn't enough to tempt me, or I would have bought a T68 before now.

I would buy a Kobo hi-res 8", though, if it existed. I like my Aura HD.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Read through the article and they had the type of screen that the Aura HD has wrong. The Aura HD has an IR screen and not a Capacitive screen. The Onyx T68 is Capacitive.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If they have android and audio and speakers I'll be very tempted. I saw the ebook reader YouTube review of t68 side by side with aura and the aura has a nicer screen and better touch responsiveness.

8in would be good too except the current 8in eink screens are pretty low resolution, like 1024x768.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
8in would be good too except the current 8in eink screens are pretty low resolution, like 1024x768.
Nope. The upcoming 8-inchers (Onyx Boox i86 & Pocketbook InkPad 840) use the Triton screen without the color filter, at 1600x1200.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Nope. The upcoming 8-inchers (Onyx Boox i86 & Pocketbook InkPad 840) use the Triton screen without the color filter, at 1600x1200.
Ooh I did not know that. Intriguing, but how will I fit that thing in my jacket pocket?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Ooh I did not know that. Intriguing, but how will I fit that thing in my jacket pocket?
I think it will be the best e ink reader for reading from diverse resources
Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Might buy it if anything happens to my Aura HD. Don't see anything better for the moment anyway.
Now, how do I charge it underwater?
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Quote:

Okay so here is a question for you. I am leaning to Kobo as my ereader. I was going to buy an Aura, but after looking at the sale here in Canada for the Aura HD ($149) I was going to buy that. Now with this upgrade I am wondering if the HD is worth it as it appears that the current HD is being replaced. I have an iPad so I don't really need a near tab reader. I just want one I can read during the day and evening, load my books, and last a long time on a battery charge. So now I am more confused about my future purchase ... Thoughts ....
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
Okay so here is a question for you. I am leaning to Kobo as my ereader. I was going to buy an Aura, but after looking at the sale here in Canada for the Aura HD ($149) I was going to buy that. Now with this upgrade I am wondering if the HD is worth it as it appears that the current HD is being replaced. I have an iPad so I don't really need a near tab reader. I just want one I can read during the day and evening, load my books, and last a long time on a battery charge. So now I am more confused about my future purchase ... Thoughts ....
I recommend the Aura HD. I feel it is better than the Aura. I'd say get it now while it's on sale.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I recommend the Aura HD. I feel it is better than the Aura. I'd say get it now while it's on sale.
But is the Aura HD better then the Aura H2O?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But is the Aura HD better then the Aura H2O?
At this point it is still a mythical object. You can't compare it to something that hasn't been announced.