Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Notion Ink Adam clears FCC

The Adam-tablet finally seems to be on its way to the ones who managed to order one in the first pre-order batch:

Quote:
We don't see it in the FCC database yet but Notion Ink's charming Rohan Shravan just penned a post on the company's blog with news that Adam has official clearance from the US government.
https://notionink.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/851/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/15/n...und-wednesday/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/t...rohan-shravan/

I know of at least one member hear at MR who's placed an order:
Looking forward to the impressions and hands-on experience with the device from MR members

Last edited by thinkpad; 01-15-2011 at 06:44 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

well, there we go...all the "T's" are dotted and all the "i's" are crossed and now NI can ship to the US.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Hope a MobileRead regular gets one of the first batch - can't wait to hear a normal user's experience of the device!
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Because size, portability and other factors I decided to buy the Galaxy Tab (no contract) instead but this device looks promising.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I, too, am really looking forward to reading reviews about this device. I'd love to pick up the Pixel QI wi-fi version, if the reviews are favourable.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm very interested in hearing the comments on the QI screen since there seems to be very mixed feelings about its usefulness.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Yes, I'm very interested in hearing the comments on the QI screen since there seems to be very mixed feelings about its usefulness.
How so? I am asking because I haven't read any comment based on hands-on use of the screen. And Charbax was very impressed with the transreflective outdoor mode. It is not as contrasty as newer Pearl Eink or even the Vizplex Eink brand screens but it was quite useful and fine under the sun according to his one-on-one rooftop interview with Mary Lou Jepsen last year. So, I would be curious to read some opinions to the contrary.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
"And then the nerds and geeks of the world cried with joy at the grand news!"

Well, ok, maybe not, but I'm certainly excited. ^_^
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
thinkpad
David

What I've read from the users installing the QI screen in a laptop it's not a problem with the screen outdoors. It's when you use it indoors it doesn't perform as good as a regular screen.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
What I've read from the users installing the QI screen in a laptop it's not a problem with the screen outdoors. It's when you use it indoors it doesn't perform as good as a regular screen.
Can you provide more than a "a friend of mine's cousin's neighbor's sister's 3rd daughter said..." comment and instead offer some sort of link to show this is true. And to clarify if they are discussing using the transreflective mode INDOORS vs. using the display in backlit mode.

And I refer you to Charbax's site where he has REAL videos of the screens in use while interviewing the CEO and the CFO of the company. In fact Mary Lou goes to great lengths to demonstrate the screens in both extremes and moderate lighting. Search the site: http://www.armdevices.com

in fact I'll spare you the difficulty of searching : http://armdevices.net/?s=pixel+qi

When claiming a product has problems it helps to offer concrete examples as well as provide clear comments to avoid ambiguity. Failing to do so is how rumors due to misinformation start.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
and instead offer some sort of link to show this is true.
Whether this is true or not is very subjective because each user will have there own preference and previous experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Can you provide more than a "a friend of mine's cousin's neighbor's sister's 3rd daughter said..." comment and instead offer some sort of link to show this is true.
And to clarify if they are discussing using the transreflective mode INDOORS vs. using the display in backlit mode.
Sorry, I saw it long ago in a discussion related to Maker SHED with people who had switched out there laptop screens.
I believe it was regarding the use of transreflective mode indoors.

Here's a more recent comment.
http://www.makershed.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=MKPQ01

Quote:
no-backlight mode is fairly useless with indoor lighting - you have to struggle to see the screen. Since PixelQi.com makes direct comparison to the e-readers, I was expecting similar performance.
* viewing angle is VERY poor with backlight on:
** black gets a white hue 5-10 degrees from the normal. I.e. if you place the netbook in your lap or closer, you'll see different blacks with left/right eyes. Very annoying
** white inverts into black 30 degrees toward the bottom. This is fairly reasonable since the screen is rarely used that way.
* with backlight on and black screen I see a pattern of reddish diagonal lines. The lines are angled from bottom left to upper right corners of the screen. When the viewing angle is changed, line color changes too
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #12
thinkpad
David

Looks like the units are leaving the warehouse today. Exciting:
https://notionink.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/delayed/

Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
goodereader
Banned
goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Many, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Pocketbook, Sony etc.
Mine shipped today! Pixel QI WI FI 3G model! Can't wait to produce massive videos on this.
goodereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ooo. I'm gonna have to check back with them to see if they've got my review unit available yet.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodereader View Post
Mine shipped today! Pixel QI WI FI 3G model! Can't wait to produce massive videos on this.

Can't wait to see your videos!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam, notion ink