Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
The Slinky
Junior Member
The Slinky began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2013
Device: Kobo Aura HD
Problem with changing book cover

Hi,

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I'm doing so in the wrong forum/subforum.

I have a book that I'd like to change the cover of - I tried simply editing the metadata at first to add a cover but when I transferred the book to my Kobo Aura HD the new cover didn't show up. It shows up fine in Calibre but when I click to view it in Calibre the first page of the book is still the old cover.

I then tried adding the new cover when converting it from EPUB to EPUB and what happened was the new cover was added to the first page of the book and the old cover was moved to the very back of the book. When I add it to the Kobo under the Library Cover View the old cover from the last page shows up instead of the new cover on the first page.

How do I add a new cover to replace the old one instead of having the old one moved to the last page of the book? How do I get the new cover to show up in my Kobo Library instead of the old cover?

This is very strange as I've changed the cover of other books by simply editing the metadata without any conversion and they've all worked fine. I'm only having this problem with this one particular EPUB. I really don't understand it. Any help would be appreciated.
The Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 21,993
Karma: 22086756
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slinky View Post
Hi,

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I'm doing so in the wrong forum/subforum.

I have a book that I'd like to change the cover of - I tried simply editing the metadata at first to add a cover but when I transferred the book to my Kobo Aura HD the new cover didn't show up. It shows up fine in Calibre but when I click to view it in Calibre the first page of the book is still the old cover.

I then tried adding the new cover when converting it from EPUB to EPUB and what happened was the new cover was added to the first page of the book and the old cover was moved to the very back of the book. When I add it to the Kobo under the Library Cover View the old cover from the last page shows up instead of the new cover on the first page.

How do I add a new cover to replace the old one instead of having the old one moved to the last page of the book? How do I get the new cover to show up in my Kobo Library instead of the old cover?

This is very strange as I've changed the cover of other books by simply editing the metadata without any conversion and they've all worked fine. I'm only having this problem with this one particular EPUB. I really don't understand it. Any help would be appreciated.
You posted in a correct place as this seems to bridge Library and Devices.

Have you tried 'Polish' to insert the cover and metadata that shows in the Library (view)? (or the Modify EPUB PI)
Having the location change without a book conversion appears to be a corruption of the NCX files play order.
Are you using 'Tweak epub' to explode and rebuild the book?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
The Slinky
Junior Member
The Slinky began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2013
Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You posted in a correct place as this seems to bridge Library and Devices.

Have you tried 'Polish' to insert the cover and metadata that shows in the Library (view)? (or the Modify EPUB PI)
Having the location change without a book conversion appears to be a corruption of the NCX files play order.
Are you using 'Tweak epub' to explode and rebuild the book?
How do I use 'Polish'? I've only just begun using Calibre so I'm still not entirely familiar with all of its functions.

I'm not using Tweak Epub, no.
The Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
KayLee's Avatar
 
Posts: 108
Karma: 518106
Join Date: May 2013
Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
Highlight the book you're trying to fix the cover on press the alphabet (P) the polish book feature will popup. one of the options says update the cover info in the book file check that one and hit okay. see if it works after that.
KayLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
C-novice
Connoisseur
C-novice began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 76
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4, PCLinuxOS-KDE5
I know this is an old thread, but what is the purpose of Change Cover >> Browse from Edit Metadata?

The new cover doesn't get transferred to the reading device using this method. I think it used to a few versions ago.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,929
Karma: 21680642
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
I know this is an old thread, but what is the purpose of Change Cover >> Browse from Edit Metadata?

The new cover doesn't get transferred to the reading device using this method. I think it used to a few versions ago.
The purpose of Browse from the Change Cover? It lets me use an existing file on my computer as the cover image.

Once the new cover is loaded, I use either Polish or Modify Epub to embed the new cover in the ebook before sending it to the ereader. This works for me on Kobo and Tolino eInk ereaders. I can also use the KoboUtilities plugin to replace the cover images for an existing ebook on a Kobo eInk device.

So the next question is which ereader are you using does not display the changed cover images?

Last edited by DNSB; 07-07-2018 at 07:40 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
C-novice
Connoisseur
C-novice began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 76
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4, PCLinuxOS-KDE5
Quote:
Once the new cover is loaded, I use either Polish or Modify Epub to embed the new cover in the ebook before sending it to the ereader. This works for me on Kobo and Tolino eInk ereaders. I can also use the KoboUtilities plugin to replace the cover images for an existing ebook on a Kobo eInk device.

So the next question is which ereader are you using does not display the changed cover images?
Right now, I use Moon+ Reader Pro app on a Samsung Tab4.

I recall once upon a time I would use Edit Metadata >> Change Cover without going to anything like Polish or Modify Epub. I wasn't aware Polish and its use exists until today.

Thanks. There is so much to Calibre. It's just wonderfully amazing.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 10,778
Karma: 10563066
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
@C-Novice - how do you load books onto your Tab4? And what format is used?

AFAIK: if you use Save to Disk or Send to Device and the format is EPUB then you shouldn't need to use Polish or Modify, calibre will inject the library cover into the file it Saves or Sends.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
C-novice
Connoisseur
C-novice began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 76
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4, PCLinuxOS-KDE5
I don't transfer from Calibre direct to the reader. I use Save to Disk to save them to specific folders by date on my hd then USB transfer them to the reader. Which means, I have two sets of files always -Calibre's and mine.

More time consuming yes but that works for me.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 21,993
Karma: 22086756
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
I don't transfer from Calibre direct to the reader. I use Save to Disk to save them to specific folders by date on my hd then USB transfer them to the reader. Which means, I have two sets of files always -Calibre's and mine.

More time consuming yes but that works for me.
Calibre Companion App plays nice with Moon+ and can be used in either Device Mode or Content server (client) mode. Both use the WiFi

Device mode behaves like a USB connected device and you drive the transfer from Calibre.

Content server mod, pulls a copy of the selected book to your TAB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
C-novice
Connoisseur
C-novice began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 76
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2014
Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4, PCLinuxOS-KDE5
Oh goody. I didn't know about Device mode. As I said, there is much to Calibre and I'm glad for them and grateful to you all for pointing them out to me. Thanks again
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calibre, cover

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Book Cover jgt1942 Calibre 24 05-26-2013 05:27 AM
Changing Book Cover for Kindle for PC app saranicholle Library Management 1 03-26-2012 01:07 AM
Changing a book title - a minor problem Berzelius Calibre 10 03-21-2012 12:35 PM
Problem when changing cover Catlady Conversion 7 11-17-2011 09:59 AM
Touch Changing book cover via Calibre? kobokobe Kobo Reader 14 09-12-2011 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.