Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #1486
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynott View Post
I also received that email this morning so it looks like my WiFi will stay off for a while. I'm glad I have a few books already loaded that should keep me happy for a few weeks. I really don't want to lose my personal screen-savers! I can't understand why Amazon insists that we look at dead authors.
Installing 3.1 won't lose your personal screensavers, or stop you adding new ones. It just won't let you remove the hacks, until you install the latest jailbreak.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #1487
DavyL
DavyL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Pretty strange, I also had the email, and forgot to read the forum about the impact on the jailbrake. (busy days)

I had 3.0.2 with screensaver and font hack, and after going online with wifi I think it received the update. (although I just went on wifi to receive my e-mailed news extracts).

But now my kindle has been on "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" screen for more than an hour. I quite like the tree picture, but I would really dislike having to send the kindle back to Amazon.

So, what should I do?

Last edited by DavyL; 02-23-2011 at 03:37 AM.
DavyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #1488
Jeremiah.L.Burns
Jeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litterJeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Edit: never mind!

Last edited by Jeremiah.L.Burns; 02-23-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: N/A
Jeremiah.L.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #1489
nubreader
Enthusiast
nubreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
new jailbreak is already working.
do check the parent forum.
nubreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #1490
Jeremiah.L.Burns

@nubreader

Thanks for that. I actually noticed the link to the new hack shortly after my posting and am currently testing it out.
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #1491
Jeremiah.L.Burns

I think I've uninstalled all hacks and jailbreaks, but wanted to check.

My Kindle root now shows:-

/.active-content-data
/audible
/documents
/linkss
/music
metadata.calibre

My main concern is the /linkss folder, because I can't recall if it existed prior to my 3.0.1/3.0.2 hack, or if it was created as part of the hack (I only installed the jailbreak for the purposes of the screensaver hack).

The contents of the /linkss folder are:-
/backups
/bin
/etc
/run
/screensavers
update
Cent-East-Middle-earth.jpg
reboot
auto
autoreboot
info.txt
Update_529960105_558700031.bin

I can plainly see files that I know I personally placed in the /linkss/screensavers folder, and so this is a mild cause of concern for me.

I am currently running 3.1, and seem to have the 'Standard' screensavers back...but I want to ensure I can get this thing back to 'factory' in case of a need for a return.

Can anyone shed light?

Cheers!

-Jerry
Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #1492
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
OK, I had 3.0.2 running with the Jailbreak and Screensaver hack installed, and now I want to remove them so I can install 3.1.

So:

1. I copied the "Screensaver uninstall .bin" to the root of my device, updated the device and - yes all screensavers start to show again!
2. I copied the "Jailbreak uninstall .bin" to the root of my device, updated the device and - yes, it updated correctly - but I am not sure how to confirm that it uninstalled correctly?

Is there anyway I can check?

Thanks

Stu

Edit

If I uninstall the Jailbreak, and then try and install the screensaver hack - presumably it would fail?

Last edited by StuMcBill; 02-23-2011 at 05:03 AM.
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #1493
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah.L.Burns View Post
My main concern is the /linkss folder, because I can't recall if it existed prior to my 3.0.1/3.0.2 hack, or if it was created as part of the hack (I only installed the jailbreak for the purposes of the screensaver hack).
The linkss folder is part of the screen saver hack. My guess is that the hack's uninstaller does not delete the folder (another user also had this folder leftover after uninstall), so if it was me, I'd just delete it manually.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #1494
Jeremiah.L.Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
The linkss folder is part of the screen saver hack. My guess is that the hack's uninstaller does not delete the folder (another user also had this folder leftover after uninstall), so if it was me, I'd just delete it manually.

-HM
Ta, HM. That jives with what I suspected. And I considered deleting it manually, but thought I'd ask around first.

Will give it a go and see what happens.

Edit: works a treat!

Last edited by Jeremiah.L.Burns; 02-23-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1495
fifth
fifth began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
OK, I had 3.0.2 running with the Jailbreak and Screensaver hack installed, and now I want to remove them so I can install 3.1.

So:

1. I copied the "Screensaver uninstall .bin" to the root of my device, updated the device and - yes all screensavers start to show again!
2. I copied the "Jailbreak uninstall .bin" to the root of my device, updated the device and - yes, it updated correctly - but I am not sure how to confirm that it uninstalled correctly?

Is there anyway I can check?

Thanks

Stu

Edit

If I uninstall the Jailbreak, and then try and install the screensaver hack - presumably it would fail?
I got same situation as you, now I'm not quite sure how to upgrade to 3.1 with/without already hacked Kindle.
Waiting...
fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #1496
blynott
blynott began at the beginning.

Success

OK so as suggested....I uninstalled the original screen-savers and jailbreak hacks, updated to 3.1, installed the new and improved jailbreak and my original screen-savers hack and all is now right in my Kindle world. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum.

Bob
blynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #1497
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifth View Post
I got same situation as you, now I'm not quite sure how to upgrade to 3.1 with/without already hacked Kindle.
Waiting...
I went ahead and ran the uninstall files, updated to 3.1, installed the new jailbreak and old Screensaver hack.

Everything seems fine now!
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #1498
JPDeckers
JPDeckers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 US & K3 WiFi
This is fun...

Apparently the update to 3.1 patches your 23_feedback_600.gif file.
Updating to 3.1 now fails for me, in the log-files:

Code:
110223:170155 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/23_feedback_600.gif":patching file
110223:170155 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/23_feedback_600.gif":patch failure
As I don't have the original files anymore (yeah, I know...), I now cannot update.

Does anybody have the original 23_feedback_600.gif image ? Searched the forums, only found the original K2 images.

---
Edit: Nevermind, found the image! Attached for others that get the same error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23_feedback_600.gif
Views:	344
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	67215  

Last edited by JPDeckers; 02-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
JPDeckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #1499
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDeckers View Post
This is fun...

Apparently the update to 3.1 patches your 23_feedback_600.gif file.
Updating to 3.1 now fails for me, in the log-files:

Code:
110223:170155 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/23_feedback_600.gif":patching file
110223:170155 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/23_feedback_600.gif":patch failure
As I don't have the original files anymore (yeah, I know...), I now cannot update.

Does anybody have the original 23_feedback_600.gif image ? Searched the forums, only found the original K2 images.

---
Edit: Nevermind, found the image! Attached for others that get the same error.
What's the new version look like?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #1500
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
NiLuJe, could you find the time to update your first post with regards to the now working jailbreak by yifanlu? Newcomers would undoubtedly appreciate it.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet