Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
formacmeg
formacmeg began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
metadata

We're just about to finish off our first batch of epub files and are trying to figure out the best way of filling in and including all the metadata that we can for each title, since I've read that the more robust your metadata the better.
However, it doesn't seem that there are any standards as to how this information should be formatted or included beyond the most basic information. We'll be sending our Onix files on with the titles but where for instance do you include series information?
formacmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
It gets added to the contents.opf file. I just have a dummy one sitting on my desktop and simply copy and paste all the info I need.
For example, I add this and fill in the details.

<dc:title>Book Title</dc:title>
<dc:creator>Authors</dc:creator>
<dc:contributor>Additional Authors</dc:contributor>
<dc:publisher></dc:publisher>
<dc:rights>Copyright © AuthorName 2009</dc:rights>
<dc:format />
<dc:date>2010</dc:date>
<dc:subject />
<dc:description />
<dc:identifier id="isbn">xxx-x-xxxx-xxxx-x</dc:identifier>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>

The publisher tag is suppose to be : p without the space

Last edited by Jellby; 09-09-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
The publisher tag is suppose to be : p without the space
When you write or edit your post, in the "Advanced" interface, you can check the "Disable smilies in text" option under "Additional Options". I've done that for you in the post above
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
formacmeg

Sorry, I know where it gets added, what I'm looking for is a way to include things like series name, etc. There doesn't appear to be a standardized way to treat this info?
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no specified way in the standard to include series info. You can find the supported metadata types here (section 2.2).

But calibre includes series metadata as <meta> tags thus:

Code:
<meta name="calibre:series" content="Amazing Series"/>
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1"/>
which is not guaranteed to be recognized by anything else than calibre, but that's something.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
formacmeg

Thanks, it seems strange that nobody seems to be working on standardizing this info?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I've requested it to the people in charge of developing the specifications, but "official" things move slowly, I wouldn't expect it before version 2.2, and probably later (if ever).
Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
When you write or edit your post, in the "Advanced" interface, you can check the "Disable smilies in text" option under "Additional Options". I've done that for you in the post above
Thanks. Although I like being able to use my smilies...maybe if I wrapped it around "code" tags... Thanks again
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote