Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #16
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
how do you set it larger than Large? I saw it go three sizes and they were smaller than txt.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You change it in the RTF file before you xfer it to the Reader.

Another, tangentally related thing, is that you can switch to landscape mode by holding the size button down for 5 seconds ('til it switches); do the same thing to switch back.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
ktb1381
Enthusiast
ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thanks folks! A few points:

You can convert PDF to RTF a lot of times... not sure if ebook PDFs are locked down in some way but there's probably a way around it if they are. The problem is, converting PDF to RTF is hit or miss...

Amazon.com does sell some PDFs, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Computer-...e=UTF8&s=books

I am being tantalized(sp) by a site called bookshare.org, which has volunteers scan books into digital format, then provides these books to the disabled (including visually impaired). They have over 30k now, including a lot that are not available in 'normal' ebook format. They say that they provide books in HTML and TXT, among other formats... You have to be disabled and you have to pay a $50 fee a year to get all this. I might try it and if I do I'll report back on how good it is.

Please note, I believe all that I have said above is correct, but I've not had time to actually try the site out yet so it could be worthless.

K

p.s. does anyone know about how 'bootleg' ebooks are made available on the net? I'm interested for research purposes only! If I ever downloaded ilegal content I would only do so for ebooks that are not available in any other way, and i would of course purchase them in paper.
ktb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not that I'm condoning piracy of course, but should someone be looking for that kind of thing, the Usenet newsgroups would be the place to look. You'd need a Usenet newsreading program (eg Microsoft Outlook Express) and access to a news server - many ISPs have one, or there are lots of commercial ones - Easynews, Giganews, Terranews, Usenetserver, etc etc., where you pay a few $ a month for access.

I have to say that personally I would have few ethical qualms about getting a "scanned" eBook of something I'd bought on paper and which could not be bought as a commercial eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh

Another, tangentally related thing, is that you can switch to landscape mode by holding the size button down for 5 seconds ('til it switches); do the same thing to switch back.
I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by I can change it? Load it, change font size to larger and resave?

Sorry.. having a real bad computer morning on DH's puter and my brain doesn't want to think anymore already.
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #21
ktb1381
Enthusiast
ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Harry. I will check out the newsgroups at last resort.

I'm so tempted to just throw caution to the wind and buy this thing. But I better try out some things first.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Sorry.. having a real bad computer morning on DH's puter and my brain doesn't want to think anymore already.
It happens.

Open the file in Word or WordPad. Do a ctrl+a to sellect everything, and then you can use ctrl+> to increase the font by points, or just change the font size up in the toolbar if you don't mind everything being the same size.

Then save the file and pop it over to the Reader, you should see a marked difference if you bumb it 8~10 points.

I'm about to get dragged off shopping now, so I'm out for a while.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My experience seems to suggest that you need to increase the size by about 4pt to get the same visual size on Reader. Eg, if you're comfortable reading 10pt text on paper, use 14pt on Reader; if you prefer 12pt, use 16pt on Reader, etc. Probably not entirely accurate, but as a "rule of thumb" it seems to work reasonably well.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #24
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Thanks guys....... I think I understand and that is probably is what I didn't do. I might have just tried bumping the size up one...... I will experiement again and next time make them huge. Although the txt files work for me as well and I do think I even bumped them up some too if I converted something.

Can't play much here today, getting ready for our vacation and we leave Sunday Morning..... so I am just taking a breather and sneaking a peek in here. Back to work getting the camper ready and all that good stuff.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #25
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:

Although I love the Reader, am disappointed that the largest size in the horizonal position is still not as big as I'd like, but can live with it.

It seems very odd that can't have that size type in the vertical position. Ah, well.

I used the old Gemstar eBook for years. The wonderful thing about that was that you could download any font or type size from your computer.

I did try increasing the size in Word and then saving as a RTF file on a book from Gutenberg, but when it got the the Reader, it did not seem any larger. I'll have to try it again. Maybe about 100 point?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #26
ktb1381
Enthusiast

Klondike,

I've been able to get reasonably good results by making the font size 24 (for RTFs).

We are screwed when it comes to Sony Connect content though.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You could always buy commercial eBooks in Microsoft Reader ".LIT" format, and then use one of the "decompiling" tools (such as the unfortunately named "Convert LIT") to convert to HTML and then save as RTF. This is perfectly legal in Europe, although I suspect it technically falls foul of the DCMA in the US.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Klondike,

I've been able to get reasonably good results by making the font size 24 (for RTFs).
Thanks, was not making it big enough. I just tried it with 28 (30 was too big) and that worked fine.

Quote:
We are screwed when it comes to Sony Connect content though.
You got it! Maybe they'll wake up someday.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

I think they may be having trouble getting files with big enough fonts from the suppliers in the first place -- I notice there's some variation from book to book.

For instance, the Hitchiker's Guide books were fine on font size (not big but not tiny), but I'm reading the Star Wars Dark Nest trilogy now, and even the large size is a bit on the small side. The small size is like microprint.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #30
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
For instance, the Hitchiker's Guide books were fine on font size (not big but not tiny), but I'm reading the Star Wars Dark Nest trilogy now, and even the large size is a bit on the small side. The small size is like microprint.
That's so they can save money on printing epages for the ebooks and pass the savings on to you! Plus everyone knows that larger type would make bigger ebooks files so they are actually saving your bandwidth too!

Oh, they love us so much!