Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Aragorn
Aragorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR-70
Unhappy Forum Access

I'm a little disappointed that even though I did post a few times early on, I am still forced to post again to gain access. Some sort of grandfather clause would have been nice. THe informaation here is very useful, though, and well worth the effort to gain access.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
bookrats
bookrats began at the beginning.

Thumbs down The Way It Is

I believe I understand the motives of Alexander and his team in putting in the access restriction; they put in a lot of time and effort supporting the iSilo links pages.

However, I think what they're wishing for is flying in the face of how people read forums and use the Internet. For every contributor a forum has, you have 3-8 people who only "lurk" -- read without contributing.

You can wish for it to be otherwise, but from my experience on the Internet (and Usenet before it), that's pretty much the way it is.

The current restriction situation is, in my case, doing the opposite of what it's intended to do. I got an automated e-mail note that a thread I've subscribed to in the "New Links" has a new posting to it. However, I'm unable to read it because I haven't posted lately.

If I did have unencumbered access to that thread, I might well have contributed to the discussion, as I have to other threads -- when I thought I had something relevant to say. However, this new restriction blocks me from doing that. And I dislike being under an obligation to "talk" just to be able to read some of the material here.

This policy gets in the way of my using the forums; so, frankly, I will be reading (and contributing) to these forums less than I normally would. I'd probably never be a major contributor to the forums; but my life is busy enough, and my interest in the topics here restricted enough, that I don't feel the time to "maintain" my account is worth it.

That's how I feel about it; obviously, your mileage may vary. I wish Alexander and the members of this board the best, and thank them for the time they've put into the Turcic.com iSiloX collection.

Regards,

Jeff Meyer
bookrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
exjoburger
exjoburger began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M505
Thumbs down

Yes I agree with bookrats.

Being forced to post just so that you can get access to Forums really sucks and IMHO defeats the object of these forums in the first place.
exjoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: The Way It Is

Quote:
Originally posted by bookrats
This policy gets in the way of my using the forums; so, frankly, I will be reading (and contributing) to these forums less than I normally would. I'd probably never be a major contributor to the forums; but my life is busy enough, and my interest in the topics here restricted enough, that I don't feel the time to "maintain" my account is worth it.
We understand how you feel, and do appreciate the feedback (all feedback). The restriction policy has surprisingly been the most effective thing we've tried to date to encourage participation, in spite of the fact that it seems like a burden to some people. We think the effort to post a handful of posts is worth the one-time effort. Remember that the requirement is only at the start of your membership...we aren't asking for x posts per x period of time after that...just a meaningful start to your membership here.

I hope you reconsider and become a consistent contributor. We have some interesting things in store for the near future here at turcic.com.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #5
Aragorn
Aragorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR-70
I understand the motives expressed by gvtexas. My point is that I had already met the requirement, as I originally registered so that I could post, and now I'm being forced to post again.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
Interesting things...hmmm...hope I'll have access to them.
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Re: The Way It Is

Quote:
Originally posted by bookrats
Jeff, I am sorry you feel that way. Please don't take my decisions personal. Obviously some people have a greater problem with the - in my eyes modest - restrictions than other people. Since you expressed your thoughts so clearly I am giving you unconditional access again. Would still love to see you post from time to time.

PS: I'd love to know if there are any topics that are more "interesting" to you and that might fit in our board.

Greets
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:04 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally posted by exjoburger
Yes I agree with bookrats.

Being forced to post just so that you can get access to Forums really sucks and IMHO defeats the object of these forums in the first place.
Exjoburger, what exactly IS the object of a forum?

MY objective is to create an expanding community that shares common interests. For some time, though, I felt like talking to myself and to my mods, because we were virtually the only ones active here. This clearly didn't meet my objective and I felt torn between trying something new (like putting a restriction in place) or simply closing the board (which is the last thing I would like to do).

Let's put it simple. We want to give everyone here a great & always free service - and in return all we ask for is some more participation.

Cheers!
Alex
Old 06-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
alrosen
alrosen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX-70
I'm a new member of this forum as I just purchased my NX-70 and was looking around the web to get info about the PDA and PDA-Friendly web pages to use with my wireless connection and came across this forum. Hopefully if the sysops grant me access I'll be able to chat more and become a useful member of this community!
-Alan
alrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:29 PM   #10
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
Hmmm, Maybe I should have posted my post here instead of where i did.

Here is the link to it anyways
http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...=3284#post3284
johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #11
illustratton
illustratton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T665
I understand the want (need) to get people to post in the forums, after all I added a forum to my work site to increase participation and although the site has 300-400 visitors a week there is NO activity in the forums at all.

But that said, I still think it is a poor policy to limit forum access by the number of posts a person make to it.
illustratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by illustratton
But that said, I still think it is a poor policy to limit forum access by the number of posts a person make to it.
You see, I agree with you. That is why I tried to refrain from mentioning any "required number of posts".

If we see someone who is (and will be) eager to participate, we give him immediate access.

Greets
Alex
Old 07-04-2003, 10:30 AM   #13
mimi
Nameless Being

So how do you "see" whether someone is an eager beaver??
Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #14
tkdusb
tkdusb began at the beginning.

I wish I had access...
tkdusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by tkdusb
I wish I had access...
no problem!