Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
rrubin5
rrubin5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
No good deed goes unpunished

I just sent this message to Amazon:
Wow, talk about no good deed goes unpunished. As an early adapter I ordered my Kindle on the first morning it was announced. I have been demoing it and advocating to any and all for two years.
My reward: "No Upgrade For You".
I own 3 Kindles and am not happy at all.
rrubin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrubin5 View Post
I just sent this message to Amazon:
Wow, talk about no good deed goes unpunished. As an early adapter I ordered my Kindle on the first morning it was announced. I have been demoing it and advocating to any and all for two years.
My reward: "No Upgrade For You".
I own 3 Kindles and am not happy at all.
Welcome to Mobileread, rrubin.

actually, according to another thread, there will be an update coming for us "first adapters.........."

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=Kindle+update
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Hell, sell me one of the K1's
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Do you mean an upgrade to PDF support on Kindle 1? Maybe the hardware can't support it. Kindle 1 is now 2 years old, so it's not really unexpected that it can't do the same things that K2 can.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
rrubin5
rrubin5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Actually I do expect a company to support a product that is less than 2 years old but here is Amazon's response to me:

"We're excited to offer new additions to the Kindle family and thank you for making Kindle a success by owning and using a Kindle. We'll honor your commitment by continuing to provide the quality product availability and support you expect for your Kindle...

"You're welcome to sell your Kindle through Amazon Marketplace or another outlet to help cover the cost of a new Kindle. You can visit http://www.amazon.com/marketplace to learn more about selling on Amazon.com. Kindle is designed so new owners can easily register a pre-owned Kindle to a new Amazon.com account and build a library. Just make sure you remove your content and deregister your Kindle before transferring ownership."

Boy, that's hard
rrubin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrubin5 View Post
Actually I do expect a company to support a product that is less than 2 years old but here is Amazon's response to me:
Amazon still supports the 2 year old Kindle 1 (it just passed the 2 year mark last month) as far as the hardware will allow. Are you expecting to have your hardware swapped out?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I feel your pain rrubin but the reality is early adopters get screwed. The main advantage is the fact you get to play with the product early... the disadvantages can include:

- Poorly designed first iteration hardware with possible problems including overheating, cases cracking etc.
- Poorly designed first iteration software lacking a lot of common sense features
- Hardware speed limitations which may prevent that software being updated

They want you to upgrade. I usually pass my old devices to relatives/friends who would enjoy them and are less demanding about speed/specs. Then I go buy the new version.

Look at early adopters of the iPhone, overheating issues and other crazy things like batteries exploding. Early adopters of the macbook air had their case hinges falling apart etc. Early adopters really take chances.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
tautologico
tautologico is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I feel your pain rrubin but the reality is early adopters get screwed. The main advantage is the fact you get to play with the product early... the disadvantages can include:

- Poorly designed first iteration hardware with possible problems including overheating, cases cracking etc.
- Poorly designed first iteration software lacking a lot of common sense features
- Hardware speed limitations which may prevent that software being updated

They want you to upgrade. I usually pass my old devices to relatives/friends who would enjoy them and are less demanding about speed/specs. Then I go buy the new version.

Look at early adopters of the iPhone, overheating issues and other crazy things like batteries exploding. Early adopters of the macbook air had their case hinges falling apart etc. Early adopters really take chances.

Also, early adopters pay more for the product.
tautologico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 1, kindle upgrade