Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
A-Lagopus
A-Lagopus began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
[GUI Plugin] KyBook3Sync

Hi guys, I have updated KyBookSync to work with the latest version of Calibre.
Also uploaded code to GitHub.
I have asked carl1c about it in a private message, but he seems to have left the forum.

Download KyBook3Sync v1.0.12 from GitHub

I might look into extending the functionality if I have spare time, but in general I don't have a lot of it. Pull requests are welcome if you want to have a go at it yourself.

If you run into a problem with this plugin, drop a comment here or, preferrably, create an issue on GitHub.

Copy of the plugin description from original post(link):

This plugin provides master-slave synchronisation of books and metadata from Calibre to KyBook3 (http://kybook-reader.com).
ADDED:Kybook3 app for iOS

KyBook3 provides support for almost every book and audiobook format and can read metadata from them. However, many files have incorrect metadata and/or cover. Even when KyBook3 downloads metadata and covers from Calibre's Content Server some metadata and cover errors occur. This plugin is an attempt to overcome these shortcomings.

Main Features:

Upload selected books to KyBook3 (skips files with the same MD5 already in KyBook3)
Sync title, authors, publishers, subjects, series, publication date, language, comments, ratings, (some) identifiers, & cover to KyBook3 with the following mapping:
Calibre Tags -> KyBook3 Subjects
Calibre Comments -> KyBook3 Annotations
Backup of KyBook3's metadata

Special Notes:

The plugin assumes that Calibre's metadata is more correct than KyBook3's
Neither books nor metadata in Calibre are changed.
No book files in KyBook3 will be changed or overwritten.
Metadata in KyBook3 is overwritten by that in Calibre
You should probably ensure that Calibre's Tags are single words with an initial capital
Calibre's Comments can (optionally) have HTML stripped
There is currently no way to sync from KyBook3 to Calibre (although this is planned)
Sync takes place over Wi-Fi, so may take a long time. I suggest you sync in small batches. Alternatively, you can add all the books you want in KyBook3 from iTunes and then run KyBook3 Sync to sync just the metadata

Testimonials:

"... syncing calibre with an actual reader app is a dream come true, thank you."

Installation Steps:

Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/restart Calibre/add to context menu or toolbar as described in the Introduction to plugins thread
Click on the KyBook3 Sync icon to see KyBook3's menu
Click on "Customize this plugin" in KyBook3's menu and set the Link, Username, & Password used by KyBook3's Content Server
You should now be able to select some books in Calibre and sync them to KyBook3

Debugging:
If you have problems with the plugin:

Be patient, syncing over WiFi can be slow and if your first book is a 500MB PDF, progress will be "stuck" at 1% for a long time!
In Calibre click Preferences | Restart in debug mode
After the restart, try running the plugin again
When it fails, or it appears to get stuck, close Calibre
A text file will appear with debug info, copy the contents and paste into a post here between spoiler tags (the icon with an eye and a red x) or save the text file to Dropbox and paste a link to it here.

Version History:
Spoiler:

Version 1.12.0 - 24 Apr 2021
Internal changes for calibre 5 compliance

Attached Files
File Type: zip KyBook3Sync-1.0.12.zip (46.9 KB, 51245 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Attach installable zip
A-Lagopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
beecasso
stalker
beecasso began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
When I try to install the plugin calibre says it's invalid, because it doesn't contain a top level init py file.
Am I doing something wrong?
beecasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2021, 01:29 AM   #3
Bhuvanesh
Bhuvanesh began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+), MacOSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecasso View Post
When I try to install the plugin calibre says it's invalid, because it doesn't contain a top level init py file.
Am I doing something wrong?
@beecasso, I'm not sure why that error is showing up, given that the __init__.py file is in fact present, but the following worked for me:
1. Unzip the zip file
2. Open a terminal and cd into the folder that unzipping created
3. Run: calibre-customize -b .
Note: On Mac, the command line tools are in the calibre.app, so the full command would be: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-customize -b .
Bhuvanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
A-Lagopus

@beecasso, sorry for the late reply - just realised my e-mail notifications are not working.
It's not loading because by default github puts files into a folder inside an archive, and Calibre doesn't understand that.

In order to load the plugin, you need to unpack it, and pack the files inside a folder into another zip archive. I'll see if I can modify this behaviour in github.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
Its working as expected. Only small glitch is, that after a sync i have to restart calibre to get a working sync again.
But at all many thanks to make it working again!
One small thing: At the original post from karli1 there is only a sentence from an admin: "Reason: Plugin Replaced". But there is no link to your new thread. Maybe an admin can add a link? Would be great. Thanks again!!!
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorius View Post
Its working as expected. Only small glitch is, that after a sync i have to restart calibre to get a working sync again.
But at all many thanks to make it working again!
One small thing: At the original post from karli1 there is only a sentence from an admin: "Reason: Plugin Replaced". But there is no link to your new thread. Maybe an admin can add a link? Would be great. Thanks again!!!
I have asked A-Lagopus to post an installable zip in a reply here, when he does that then I'll move it so that the plugin can be updated from within calibre itself Ψ

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
igorius
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have asked A-Lagopus to post an installable zip in a reply here, when he does that then I'll move it so that the plugin can be updated from within calibre itself Ψ
BR
Ah, thanks. So i finally found it and this is ok for me.
The way by doing it via the

calibre-customize -b .

worked instantly.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
A-Lagopus

Hi igorius, sorry for the shenanigans with the posts - main reason is I only have 7 posts and can't edit the top post. First time I see this limitation.

re:

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2021 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Zip moved to first post
Old 05-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvanesh View Post
@beecasso, I'm not sure why that error is showing up, given that the __init__.py file is in fact present, but the following worked for me:
1. Unzip the zip file
2. Open a terminal and cd into the folder that unzipping created
3. Run: calibre-customize -b .
Note: On Mac, the command line tools are in the calibre.app, so the full command would be: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-customize -b .
step 2 -

Ok, I opened a terminal and cd to the unzipped file folder
run doesn't work in the terminal
when I run calibre-customize -b under the run command, the dos blank screen flashes
then what do I do?
the plugin shows up in calibre plugins, but doesn't work.

Last edited by peaceridge; 05-17-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: figured part out
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
mr3000jr
mr3000jr began at the beginning.

Question Plugin not working?

Hello,

I installed via Calibre plugin search and it seemed to work fine. I selected a few books (epub, pdf and mobi represented) and followed instructions to sync. Calibre job took a minute but eventually said 100% complete with no errors! KyBook 3 however never showed books in library... I tried 3 times to no avail. Any help?

Instructions I followed:
1. On your iOS device, open KyBook3
2. In KyBook3, tap Control, tap Content Server, tap the Activate switch
3. In this plugin, click Configure and enter the Link, Username, & Password from step 2
4. In KyBook3, tap Library
before step 5 I highlighted the 7 or so books I wanted to sync
5. In this plugin, click Synchronize with KyBook3
6. In KyBook3, tap Control, tap Cache, tap Clear space under BOOK COVERS CACHE
7. Shutdown and restart KyBook3

KyBook 3 v0.7.8
plugin v1.0.12
iOS 14.7.1
mr3000jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:15 AM   #11
igorius
Zealot

I have a strange problem: On lots of books the series-info doesnt get transmitted or not recognized by kybook3... So in that case all numbers in a certain serie is 0.
Maybe an old error. I had this with the old version too, but forgot about it.
Another really nice thin would be the transfer of the read info, say if its reading and the percentage of actual reading. But i think it woud only make sense if that info is transferred in both directions...

Oh, additionally would it be a great idea to select if a transferred book (or all books) should be overwritten when available on kybook3. Had now several times some books double on kybook3, when i forgot to delete them on kybook3 before.

Last edited by igorius; 02-21-2022 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Addition of a sentence...
Old 02-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #12
igorius
Zealot

Hmmm, i looked inside the plugin and found the corresponding part to overwrite teh existing books. Changed False to True, zipped it again, but nothing:
1. Zip is smaller than original: 117k -> 48k.
2. Calibre doesnt show now the plugin.
So it doesnt work. What is my mistake?
Ok, got it. Reinstalled via calibre-customize -b . from inside the folder. Now its showing again in calibre.

Last edited by igorius; 02-21-2022 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Adding result.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
igorius
Zealot

Dear A-Lagopus,
a full year is passed by and i am curious if you
a) are still available?
b) have any plans to extend the kybook plugin?

I am still highly interested in having a working syncronisation of the reading progress back from kybook3 to calibre...
And sometimes the syncing still is doing strange things, so series numbers do not get all time synced, so i get all books of a serie with number 0 on kybook3.
I managed to get less errors by including a metadata jacket to my books (its done via "perfectionize ebooks" from within calibre.

It would be great to get any kind of response from you...

Greetings,
Igorius
Old 07-28-2022, 05:15 AM   #14
igorius
Zealot

Kybook3 Sync seems to be dead

Today i found out that the kybook3-sync stopped working!
When i tried to sync some books, the sync starts, shows 1% and thats all. After nearly 2 hours i stopped the sync, kybook3 on my ipad didnt have one file copied.

That with the disappearance of the new maintainer lets me think that the plugin is dead.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:19 PM   #15
floyd68
floyd68 began at the beginning.

I assume this no longer works.
floyd68 is offline   Reply With Quote