Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle(all), Nook, Sony, Onyx Boox, iPad 2
I have to guess that maybe the illustrator didn't give them permision to include the artwork in an electronic edition.
We, as e-book builders, had and issue a year ago with a book we recovered from print and edited in digital. The artist was NOT happy with the idea of including the artwork. «Anyone can extract and manipulate the images.» he said
The same as it could happen with any font embedded...
Not everybody is ok with the "digital world".

And the issue with the images coded in the book, could be dued to editing in InDesign or similar. Instead of deleting the code, maybe, they just deleted the images from the folder...
Not a good practice but quick

I, personally, use ereaders mainly because of font-size. And I hate when the print edition is different from the paper book
PremaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
"Exclusive to the print editions of NOS4A2 are more than 15 illustrations by award-winning Locke & Key artist Gabriel Rodríguez."
That's interesting - I couldn't find any statement like that in my copy. I got this from Barnes & Noble by the way.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I have a follow up to this book.

Some of the comments on the Kindle version at Amazon are complaining about a "Notes on the Type" section at the end of the print version that is missing from the kindle version (and the epub as well). Normally, the note about the font in a printed book would serve no purpose in an ebook, but apparently the author relates the typeface to one of the book's characters and more or less hid an epilog here. If you play with it a little, you can see this section in Amazon's on-line preview of the print version - I've saved off images of it (it's just over 1 page long) to read after finishing the book.

I was upset at finding these "missing" images in NOS4A2 partly because I had just finished fixing a much worse image problem with a previous purchase. One of my wish list items I picked up last month with the big kobo discount codes active then was Titan Unveiled by Ralph Lorenz & Jacqueline Mitton. This covers some of the NASA Cassini/Huygens mission findings on Saturn's moon, Titan (yes, I enjoy reading reading this stuff some of the time).

When I downloaded it, I found that the text was missing probably 100 images, each replaced with a big blank square enclosing the words "The image placed here in the print version has been intentionally omitted". In this type of book, the images are probably much more important than a novel like NOS4A2 as the text will be discussing geological features and such, without the accompanying images.

If I'd paid full price, I would have just requested a refund. Instead, I borrowed the hard cover at the library and embarked on a long image recovery. I found and downloaded many of them from the NASA Cassini mission web page at http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/ and various other sites. The others, I just scanned.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote