Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Paperwhite Collections

The collections on my KPW are in alphabetical order.

From my experiences with previous Kindles this only ever happened when I first created them in Calibre. Once you opened a book within a Collection, eg George R.R. Martin, then that collection would be the first entry on the first page and the book you had opened would be the first book within that collection.

Given that Calibre won't do collections on the KPW I had to create all my collections from scratch.

Now when I go "home" when finished reading the collections remain fixed in alphabetical order, not most recent. I then have to scroll X number of pages to the collection starting with M and find the book I was reading.

Any advice on "most recent" or this a new feature that I have to live with?
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What sort order do you have selected?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
On the main page I am sorted by "collections". Within the collections I am sorted by "recent".
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Incorrect "Most Recent" sort order is generally caused by the Kindle's clock not being correctly set. Connect to WiFi or 3G and leave it connected for at least an hour. That should set the clock from Amazon's servers.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-21-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Incorrect "Most Recent" sort order is generally caused by the Kindle's clock not being correctly set. Connect to WiFi or 3G and leave it connected for at least an hour. That should set the clock from Amazon's servers.
Yes, this fixed the problem for me on Kindle Touch (Thank you MobileRead search!) a while back and would hopefully fix it for the Paperwhite.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I don't think that is the issue here. I think the way Collections are displayed on the Kindle has changed with the Paperwhite. Collections themselves always seem to be alphabetical. Items within those collections display in most recent order correctly.

I have a 'Currently Reading' collection that I had to rename to '1 - currently Reading" in order for it to show up at the beginning of the list all the time.

R
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Rob. I didn't know that.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm waiting on the arrival of my new PW, so thanks for the info. I think I will like the collections staying in ABC order...with titles within collections being in most recent. Appeals to the librarian in me. Looking forward to checking out all the ways the PW differs from the KT.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh. Yeah, Collections are sorted by name, but books are sorted by most recent (after the collections, like usual). (Home screen, cover view, sort by Collections).

(And, yeah, the only choice left to make sure a collection stay on top is either a digit, like Robmonster suggested, or a single quote (')).

And, yeah, you can set a different sort order *inside* a collection (title/author/recent), but that's not new, IIRC, we could do that on the Touch.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(And, yeah, the only choice left to make sure a collection stay on top is either a digit, like Robmonster suggested, or a single quote (')).
Doesn't "_" work any more? That's what I always used on my other Kindles. Haven't tried it on the PW, but I'm curious as to why it wouldn't work?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@HarryT: Nope, the sort order changed. (It's was already different between the K3 & the Touch, but it's even different from the Touch on the PW...).

The underscore happened to be near the top of the list both on the 3 & the Touch, so it was indeed a good choice, but not anymore ;/.

Code:
# Kindle ignores these characters and sorts them randomly (unless name is only invisible characters:!
SORT_INVISIBLE = u'-?/]#.\'\\*})&:@%;"!,'  # means the visible are " _`^~'([{$+<=>|" + 0-9, a-z
# And on the Touch...  Didn't care to test the 1 char invisible stuff, so the order might not be completely accurate...
TOUCH_SORT_INVISIBLE = u' #[:?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'
# And on the PaperWhite... (Yeah, completely different than on the Touch... Oh, joy...)
PW_SORT_INVISIBLE = u' _·™…].¢#*`)"¬£-;@&{^/,©%~=|®}€>[($+:?!¥\\<§'

# Sort order for all chars (invisible needed in case the collection is 1 char long)
SORT_CHARACTERS = u'- _,;:!?/.`^~\'"()[]{}@$*&#%+<=>|0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
# And on the Touch... (Note that you shouldn't be able to put a leading/trailing whitespace in a collection name,
# be it via the default UI or Collections Manager, that's why I put it in the invisible list on the Touch).
TOUCH_SORT_CHARACTERS = u'_-`^§©®+<=>¬|~¢$£¥€0123456789 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ#[:·?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'
# NOTE: @ possibly sorted like A   ™ possibly sorted like tm or TM
# PaperWhite... Don't have a lot of choices anymore to put stuff in front... A single quote, and that's it :/.
# The case sorting interacts with the invisible chars in a weird way, some of them sit between lowercase and uppercase if they precede the exact same letter...
PW_SORT_CHARACTERS = u'\'012345789 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ_·™…].¢#*`)"¬£-;@&{^/,©%~=|®}€>[($+:?!¥\\<§'

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Drat, that's annoying! Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The Back Arrow--<-- on the menu screen might be your answer. I suppose you're reading two books at once. If you press the < key on the menu screen it takes you back one screen. It might be the Home screen. Press it again and it goes to the screen before that, probably your second book.

I haven't experimented to see how many screens it remembers but I know it's at least three.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote